Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, just started riding about 5 months ago. I only have about 1700 miles of experience. I'm still a bit uncomfortable leaning excessively in the corners. I'm considering a track day but am unsure if i'm ready for it. I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks..Dave

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The track is the best place to get comfortable leaning. They have a beginner group. I see you are from PA. Check out http://www.nesba.com/

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I think you would benefit more from the track (controlled environment with instructors) then you will trying to do it on your own on the street.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
I think you would benefit more from the track (controlled environment with instructors) then you will trying to do it on your own on the street.
:+1: I learned more after one trip to the track than I had in several years on the street.

My first session I just rode around the track really slow, getting to know the track, then each session was progressively easier. It will be natural to think you are going to lowside because you arent used to leaning that much, but if you got some good tires on there, the chances aren't likely. You won't be as close as you think.

Remember to stay hydrated. When I went, I was dehydrated beforehand and even though I drank a case of water while I was there, I still almost passed out. Drink plenty of water in the days leading up to your track day, as well as the day itself.

Have fun!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Most tracks also have a school. Where they can teach you the fundamentals without having grandma run you over in her station wagon

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you can afford it, look into Level 1 and 2 at the California Superbike School. Very highly recommended... best money you can spend on becoming a better rider. Otherwise, some track days also have mini-schools where they'll work on certain skills. Going to a trackday with limited riding experience and no familiarity with that type of riding may be a bit intimidating.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I completely agree with with the others have said.
Go to the track. You will learn much faster there.
I hadn't ridden in 17 years and went to the track after about 1500 miles of getting back on a bike and it really helps out.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I've done California Superbike School level I and II and check out all the schools and do the one you feel most comfortable....I have talked to those who have been to this school recently and they seem to have a much higher student to instructor ratio these days....

I am going to Jason Pridmore's Star Motorcycle School in October....at SOW

·
Registered
641 Posts
Don't barrel down the straight with your 10R, late brake/early apex and then run wide and take out the other riders by 'clipping' them as you slide accross the track. Haha.

Dude, have fun. I'm jealous.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Do a trackday school, not a regular trackday.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I dont think you should even bother getting on the track till you can scrape knee's while wearing shorts and flip flop, once you can do that then you'll be able to rip on a track be a jr rossi

·
Team Green Baby!
2014 MV Agusta F3 675
1,519 Posts
I'm kinda new myself, track day is the way to go if you have money and time for it (closest to me is at least 2 hrs away) but if you're kinda limited to money then I would think about taking one of those state sponsored training courses, they have beginner and advanced level. Not to mention in some states, you will save on insurance! :mrgreen:

If you don't have the money or time like me :lol:, I learned by reading a lot (it really helped), taking pointers from friends and imagining myself taking turns and leaning on my bike while I'm driving my car! haha! :badteeth:(when to downshift or if I need to break if I'm coming in too hot and anticipating the lean; hey it working for me). What also helped me was riding in a group w/ friends. They go fast, so I try to keep up w/ them but the key for me is I ride within my limits! Obviously the faster you go on a turn, the harder you lean. If you feel the bike pulling straight, ease up on the throttle and push down on the direction you're turning then give it a little throttle so you won't low side and to help the momentum carry you thru the turn. Lean then roll is the adage. Ride safe. :helmet:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Go hit up a local track day and if anything take one of there classes. I know here in florida most tracks have classes you can take!! Look into and hows the bike, what you riding?>

·
Registered
345 Posts
track days are more addictive than crack...if you go once you have a $400 to $600 a month habit.And thats not even counting intial costs like truck/trailer,gear,tent...good luck and welcome to the addiction

·
5,932 Posts
if you can afford $400-600 a month on track days buddy take me lol. I usually see the track about 3-6 times a year with a lot of street time too and the wife is already beating my a$$ about that cause there about $150 for a track day down my way!!!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Man I feel for you guy's that have to travel to get to your local track, I have Barber's withing 5 miles of the house and Talledega "Kinda shitty" about 20 miles away.

·
5,932 Posts
I'm with you, I have morso/palm beach about 10 miles from my house and jennings isnt to far away, but I'm not a fan of jennings, kinda of a boring track to me compared to morso!!! I want to hit up homestead but its a minute away (120 miles easy)

·
Registered
345 Posts
if you can afford $400-600 a month on track days buddy take me lol. I usually see the track about 3-6 times a year with a lot of street time too and the wife is already beating my a$$ about that cause there about $150 for a track day down my way!!!
I cant afford it!!!!but I sacrifice for addictions..I feel you on the wifey thing too.After I told her I was going on my third track day this month she was like "didnt you say those track days were like $200"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts