Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, it was a glorious 75+ degrees by the coast on Hwy 1. (North of San Francisco, toward Stinson Beach and Point Reyes Sta.) For those who have ridden this road, you know that when the Tarmac gets warm, it is like a wet dream come true. Warm days (79+) in San Francisco are akin to seeing a super hot girl walking and heading straight for you to ask you out on a date. Not going to happen.

So, I lubed up my trusty links, greased the forks on the Mille and decided to leave early for Jenner, CA.

Mt. Tam, all good. You know those days when you are just feeling "so right". The engine is singing to you and the tires are sticking so well that you wonder how much you are going to have to yank the throttle to break the rear a bit. Lines are so clear, that you just point and shoot.

I get down to Stinson Beach, and see this large pack of riders. So I go up to one of the guys and ask him if it is ok to ride with them. He says yes, then I ask where they are from and he says Walnut Creek. I think cool. New crew. Gotta watch.

We proceed to start riding. I am third behind a Tuono with what looked like a cargo bag on the back. And the head guy is on a Gixxer Thou. We start clipping along and get to the Bolinas Lagoon and all of a sudden, F*ck*ng Marin County Sheriff right in front of us. I know these guys and how they operate (LAW ENFORCEMENT = REVENUE GENERATION). So we take it slow all the way to Point Reyes Station. In the meantime, I am watching the guy on the Gixxer and he is acting up already. (That should have been my clue).

Once we pass Point Reyes Station, the guy on the Gixxer starts really gunning. I am thinking about the Sheriff and he must have really stepped on the gas, because we did not seem him anymore. So we start gassing and I pass the guy on the Mille. Now, I am by no means a Ben Spies, but I have been riding hwy 1 for about 30 years or so and know this road really well. I know pretty much where you can goose it and where you can't. I know that there are some descending radius turns where I have seen other riders die. Amongst other weird tarmarc inconsistencies.

Well after passing the Tuono, I am just ready to clear out. I come up on the tail of the gixxer dude who by now is taking the silliest lines and doing all sorts of stupid shit. Then as I am RIGHT behind him we go into a corner at about 75+ and all of a sudden, Gixxer dude sees the Sheriff Wagon and decides to SLAM on his brakes MID-CORNER !!!!! As he does this, he looks behind and by this time I can not slow down fast enough. I yank the Mille over to the right, and by the protection and grace of the lord, I end up just barely touching his rear tailpiece with my clip-on. It could have been ugly. Now everyone slows down and the Sheriff sees all this in his rear-view. I decide that this is enough and make a U and head back to PRS to gather myself. A total wake up call. I'd like to hear people's feedback on this. Was I at fault for following too close? Should he have continued without braking? I have ridden with a lot of people and have never experienced this.

Glad I am still here to tell the story !!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Tough call on that one. I know that I've done the same thing - follow someone too close when I wanted to get past them. We also had a guy who used to ride with wife and I (we both ride), and he had a real problem following my wife, Heather, too closely. That, and the fact that he just never paid attention, caused him to almost rearend Heather on more than one occasion. Finally I talked to him and basically told him to back the f off.

Yet, at Americade a few years ago on a demo ride, I was on a ZRX and was riding right up the tailpipe of the less-experienced rider in front of me on a zx6r. I know that I shouldn't have ridden like this, but the guy was blowing all the corners by nailing the brakes and tip-toeing through them :badteeth:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Well, sounds like you caught a break. Easy to ride with in your limits hard to tell what others limits are. We often say that a lot has to do with rider ability on the bike, most of the time it is how crazy is the fugger and how far will he push it!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
you might have been to close. I would say yes because you are on hwy 1 and knowing that their is turns you should of stayed back and watched him or passed him on a straight and led. either way he is a dumbass for braking mid turn. by now we should all know if your speeding and you see a cop is already too late he will pull you over dont do anything stupid like slam on your brakes.

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
I think you were too close.

Reason: When riding with a new group, or individual for that matter, you should be in one of two places. Hanging out at the back observing the others and how they conduct themselves(Preferd) or in the front leading ( not as preferd as you don't know what they are doing behind ya). Until you figure out the other(s) quirks, play it safe and just ride. If this was done, you would not have put yourself in to the predictament because you would have seen how squirrely the leader was and either turned around, let them leave ya behind, or ride it out til you get to a place to branch off, I know #1 has limited exits to get off at so I would have probably turned around and get out as quick has you could.

Ride safe and be weary of new groups,

Tread

·
Registered
445 Posts
There are at least 9 out of 10 liter bike riders that are total squids out here where I live....

You see them wearing a tex jacket, cruiser gloves, jeans and sneakers - with fully modified bikes / full exhaust/ mods, some with fancy wheels and all that ...

Then you look at their tires and they have 2 inch chicken strips on each side.... Puleeeeeze.

·
Registered
754 Posts
There are at least 9 out of 10 liter bike riders that are total squids out here where I live....

You see them wearing a tex jacket, cruiser gloves, jeans and sneakers - with fully modified bikes / full exhaust/ mods, some with fancy wheels and all that ...

Then you look at their tires and they have 2 inch chicken strips on each side.... Puleeeeeze.
The squids wear jackest and gloves where you live? Amazing! Out here the tan Timberland boots are just as popular as sneakers.... :badteeth:

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
I try to avoid group rides with too many unknown riders ... Seen and heard of way too much BS happening, and I don't need to be part of it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
:+1: Good thing you were able to live and learn. I too, think you were following too close and put yourself in that situation. Bad place to be in an unfamiliar, undisciplined group. I like to be last position in the group and well back so I can see what's going on and have time to react. On the street, there is no place for any competition.

Required reading:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_0911_the_pace_nick_ienatsch/

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I rarely ride w/ groups nowadays especially unknown riders and PACE I had lots on unlucky group rides and few good group rides. I've been to highway 1, 9, Caliveras, Mines Road, Redwood road, Alice's. 9 to Alice's it's like a race track, lots squids, lots of popo and lots of accident :badteeth: . I ride at my own "pace" start descovering lots of great road here in Sac. I only ride in a group ride w/ people I know.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I rarely ride w/ groups nowadays especially unknown riders and PACE I had lots on unlucky group rides and few good group rides. I've been to highway 1, 9, Caliveras, Mines Road, Redwood road, Alice's. 9 to Alice's it's like a race track, lots squids, lots of popo and lots of accident :badteeth: . I ride at my own "pace" start descovering lots of great road here in Sac. I only ride in a group ride w/ people I know.
Since you live in Sac'to, look up pashnit.com
I used to live there and rode all over the dang place. I miss it terribly, but can't afford to move back.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Since you live in Sac'to, look up pashnit.com
I used to live there and rode all over the dang place. I miss it terribly, but can't afford to move back.
Used to check out the pashnit website but not as much anymore, BARF got lots road info's too :badteeth:. I've been to Lake Berryessa and lots of good roads in 49 to Placerville.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I take it easy when riding with unknown people, rode out a week ago with some "hot heads" and stuck two riders back from the lead and gave myself good room. They rode balls to the wall and I kept pace where I knew I could not end up in an unexpected situation, popped some nice wheelies as we passed through the small towns and just really enjoyed it.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Well, classpath_sf, when I was reading your story of riding with a group of unknown riders, I started to feel those little alarms go off in my head when you mentioned passing the Tuono. And then when you got up on the Gixxer's tail and noticed his funny lines and such, that was the time to back off and give him space. You are probably a better rider than he is but I think you could have prevented that close call from happening.

·
Registered
463 Posts
We're glad your still around too. Truth be told you were totally at fault on that one. If you were on a race track I would say otherwise, but remember you're on a public road with guys you dont know. Aside from that anything could happen, cops, drunks, deer, seagull you name it. However with that said.....

I totally know where you're coming from tho. A moderate pace to you on a road you know is proabably out of control to some. My last large group ride was three years ago. On that ride we had three crashes: one guy slid off in the ditch another corn holed another and the last threw his bike down a cliff. It always cracks me up on these things, how egos get inflated adrenaline flows and it, so to some extent, becomes some right of passage to man hood to some. this is the main reason (perhaps the only reason) why I dont ride in large groups with people I dont know.

anyway - off rant - I am a little north of you and love the roads you have there. I've had a few spirited from Monterrey up to San Fran and back. Do you have a Mille to? I've got an older Mille R

Yesterday, it was a glorious 75+ degrees by the coast on Hwy 1. (North of San Francisco, toward Stinson Beach and Point Reyes Sta.) For those who have ridden this road, you know that when the Tarmac gets warm, it is like a wet dream come true. Warm days (79+) in San Francisco are akin to seeing a super hot girl walking and heading straight for you to ask you out on a date. Not going to happen.

So, I lubed up my trusty links, greased the forks on the Mille and decided to leave early for Jenner, CA.

Mt. Tam, all good. You know those days when you are just feeling "so right". The engine is singing to you and the tires are sticking so well that you wonder how much you are going to have to yank the throttle to break the rear a bit. Lines are so clear, that you just point and shoot.

I get down to Stinson Beach, and see this large pack of riders. So I go up to one of the guys and ask him if it is ok to ride with them. He says yes, then I ask where they are from and he says Walnut Creek. I think cool. New crew. Gotta watch.

We proceed to start riding. I am third behind a Tuono with what looked like a cargo bag on the back. And the head guy is on a Gixxer Thou. We start clipping along and get to the Bolinas Lagoon and all of a sudden, F*ck*ng Marin County Sheriff right in front of us. I know these guys and how they operate (LAW ENFORCEMENT = REVENUE GENERATION). So we take it slow all the way to Point Reyes Station. In the meantime, I am watching the guy on the Gixxer and he is acting up already. (That should have been my clue).

Once we pass Point Reyes Station, the guy on the Gixxer starts really gunning. I am thinking about the Sheriff and he must have really stepped on the gas, because we did not seem him anymore. So we start gassing and I pass the guy on the Mille. Now, I am by no means a Ben Spies, but I have been riding hwy 1 for about 30 years or so and know this road really well. I know pretty much where you can goose it and where you can't. I know that there are some descending radius turns where I have seen other riders die. Amongst other weird tarmarc inconsistencies.

Well after passing the Tuono, I am just ready to clear out. I come up on the tail of the gixxer dude who by now is taking the silliest lines and doing all sorts of stupid shit. Then as I am RIGHT behind him we go into a corner at about 75+ and all of a sudden, Gixxer dude sees the Sheriff Wagon and decides to SLAM on his brakes MID-CORNER !!!!! As he does this, he looks behind and by this time I can not slow down fast enough. I yank the Mille over to the right, and by the protection and grace of the lord, I end up just barely touching his rear tailpiece with my clip-on. It could have been ugly. Now everyone slows down and the Sheriff sees all this in his rear-view. I decide that this is enough and make a U and head back to PRS to gather myself. A total wake up call. I'd like to hear people's feedback on this. Was I at fault for following too close? Should he have continued without braking? I have ridden with a lot of people and have never experienced this.

Glad I am still here to tell the story !!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts