Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Newbie question - muffler

946 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  dim 
#1 ·
Forgetting the legalities of it for a moment and apart from the expected noise issue, what would happen if I just took off my muffler?

Flaming hot gases going to melt the tail?
Performance going to reduce in leaps and bounds?
1 mpg ?

I was thinking about doing it for absolutely no good reason, just curiosity, but maybe you kind people can save me the trouble :cool:

#2 ·
Sounds to me you want the sound of an aftermarket exhaust but want to just take off the cans and run a straight pipe etc. Everything you just said is true. You will lose hp and torque along with back pressure. Your bike will run lean as shit in tell you have a pc and custom map made too. I don't think you should do it but go right along and make your self look and sound like a squid shuttle if you feel it to be necessary!! If anything I would say gut your stock cans or buy a baffle kit if you don't have the money for some slip ons!! What ever you do please don't buy two brothers down the road either man!!

#4 ·
Cool. I've been looking at either bolt on Akra or a full system. I don't have a garage and barely any tools so was leaning towards the bolt-on. However for 50% more I can get a full system which seems more logical.

How hard is it to install a full system by yourself without a bike stand? Madness, or doable?

#3 ·
:+1:

#5 ·
I think it's easy to me, but I grew up around dirt bikes,atv's and anything with a motor since age 5 LOL. But all you need is a couple tools and worse thing you might have to do is unbolt the raditor so you can get the bolts at the top of the headers etc. But maybe about 10 bolts and a couple fairings getting taken off for the process. But it should be a 1-2 hour JOB MAX. I removed my stock headers, gutted them and installed a slip on in about an hour so anything more then that your over doing the job inless your really taking your time.

#6 ·
the full system will need a tune. The slip ons will bring less hp gains but unless ridden on a track will not be really noticed or needed. The top of first gear is got to jail and impounded bike speeds so save the money and get the split on unless you have a surplus of money or are building a track bike or a dyno queen.

#7 · (Edited)
the full system will need a tune. The slip ons will bring less hp gains but unless ridden on a track will not be really noticed or needed. The top of first gear is got to jail and impounded bike speeds so save the money and get the split on unless you have a surplus of money or are building a track bike or a dyno queen.

Not trying to sound bad, but is it just me or that shit doesn't make sense? I understand were your coming from I think. Your trying to state that first gear can put you in jail just due to the fact it can easily hit 90-100mph? Maybe I'm lost but I think spell checking will help or at least making sure your wording is put together correctly. I'm not trying to bust your balls but you sound like you have had a few LOL

#8 ·
Excellent information thank you. I will probably shop around for a slip-on first then. Once I have got a bit more confident, or for my next bike, I can look into a full system. I would like to get to the track so it may make sense at some point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.