Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys... İ know that the best way to adjust suspension is by measuring sag but İ have not got the tools, nor the knowledge to do it.

İ just want a guide on how my suspension settings should be. İ am 190lb and 6ft tall.

So my bike has rear, fork and rebound adjustments? They all range from soft to hard. İn clicks or in general how should İ set it up?

For example... Rear: Hard, Fork rebound: moderate and Fork absorption: soft??

İs this possible to be done with just a set number of clicks?

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
Hi guys... İ know that the best way to adjust suspension is by measuring sag but İ have not got the tools, nor the knowledge to do it.

İ just want a guide on how my suspension settings should be. İ am 190lb and 6ft tall.

So my bike has rear, fork and rebound adjustments? They all range from soft to hard. İn clicks or in general how should İ set it up?

For example... Rear: Hard, Fork rebound: moderate and Fork absorption: soft??

İs this possible to be done with just a set number of clicks?
no tools or knowledge? then dont mess with it. you will do more harm than good. find a good loacal suspension guy and thale it to them to get your baseline, and go from there. plus your riding style will have more to do with the stteings, than your generic info you posted. if you just ride around and bullsh!t on it, its not going to help you anyway really. even at 190lbs you already too heavy for the stock suspension, and the factory settings.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
no tools or knowledge? then dont mess with it. you will do more harm than good. find a good loacal suspension guy and thale it to them to get your baseline, and go from there. plus your riding style will have more to do with the stteings, than your generic info you posted. if you just ride around and bullsh!t on it, its not going to help you anyway really. even at 190lbs you already too heavy for the stock suspension, and the factory settings.
:+1:...alot of shops will have a suspension guy who can get you setup and started for a very good price, there's a few guys here who attend the track days and you can just show up, pay them your $45 and they'll get started setting the sag and go from there depending on you and your riding style. even on a stock suspension, having it set up for you and the way you ride is priceless!!

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
@190lbs and the suspension is to soft..okkkk,what everrrrrr...Unless he is doin some hard raceing(i dont think he is)stock should be fine...Everything makes a diff when it comes to suspension...That days temps(colder temps makes it stiffer till suspension warms),tire heat,type and air pressure,rider alone or two up,where you ride(rough roads,smooth lotsa corners or all straights with lil brakeing),how hard you ride....There are so many variables that you can change setting 10 times a day every day to get it just right...Suspension is a true blk art and not many know it and struggle with it but once you get it fairly close you will see how much more fun your bike is when done right..
I thought i knew enough about it till i had my gen2 revalved and resprung,thought it was cats azz then...Now my best bud races and between him and a few of his race buds,well i discovered i know NOTHING..Im starting from scratch allllll over again on my gen 3 and learning slowly..
As the others mentioned,take it to a suspension guy(one who has srteet cred not some smo who thinks he knows)or even go to a track day and ask race teams to point you in a direction for help and suggestions..Sometimes some of the bike techs love to share (show off)how much they know to a noobie without given away trade secrets..Do some research on your own time and just suck in all the info..When you do get it done,keep detailed notes on what exact settings were made,temps,tire types ect so that you will always have base settings to go back to..

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
In small countries with only maybe 10 good mechanics it's difficult to find a suspension tuner, hell we don't even have a track (yet) :angryfire. Suspension requires alot of reading and detail records of your changes. You can search zx10rracer's threads on suspension tuning.

Also as a first step turn your front forks rebound and preload (screws) 7 clicks counterclockwise from fully in and check it out. Remember to save your original settings. If you want a shop to do it for you i can recommend one lmk.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
@190lbs and the suspension is to soft..okkkk,what everrrrrr...Unless he is doin some hard raceing(i dont think he is)stock should be fine...Everything makes a diff when it comes to suspension...That days temps(colder temps makes it stiffer till suspension warms),tire heat,type and air pressure,rider alone or two up,where you ride(rough roads,smooth lotsa corners or all straights with lil brakeing),how hard you ride....There are so many variables that you can change setting 10 times a day every day to get it just right...Suspension is a true blk art and not many know it and struggle with it but once you get it fairly close you will see how much more fun your bike is when done right..
I thought i knew enough about it till i had my gen2 revalved and resprung,thought it was cats azz then...Now my best bud races and between him and a few of his race buds,well i discovered i know NOTHING..Im starting from scratch allllll over again on my gen 3 and learning slowly..
As the others mentioned,take it to a suspension guy(one who has srteet cred not some smo who thinks he knows)or even go to a track day and ask race teams to point you in a direction for help and suggestions..Sometimes some of the bike techs love to share (show off)how much they know to a noobie without given away trade secrets..Do some research on your own time and just suck in all the info..When you do get it done,keep detailed notes on what exact settings were made,temps,tire types ect so that you will always have base settings to go back to..
im NOT claiming to be a suspension expert in any way. based on my reading on this site and others, the rear shock on a 3rd gen is sprung for around a 150lb person. so at 190lb yes he is over that weight. im 215 in full gear, and thus the stock rear shock is sh!t, and now its been replaced with a TTX. problem solved. i also stated that if he has no knowledge of how to adjust it not to mess with it. as for his riding style yes if he is just cruising around the stock suspension is fine. but he gave no indication of the type of riding he does or any skill level. he may not even be on a third gen, i was basing my post on such. agian my advice to him was to leave it alone, as he could do more harm than good. i agree with you 100% that having the suspension adjusted to your riding style and weight by someone that knows what they are doing, makes all the difference in the world! :eek:ccasion1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts