Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEy guys well as of right now my moor is basically stock, I removed the EGR crap and reloacted the crank case breather.

I have the following mods on their way:
Yosh full system
BMC race filter
Power commander
KAwi intake race cam
factory pro velocity stacks

I Was wondering if I should go ahead and put a thinner head gasket in on my bike? With all those mods Im sure they could help support it a lil more but with compression being 12.7:1 stock brign it up to 13.2:1-13.5:1 With a proper tune on it should regular 93 octane be alright for it?

I work at a local shop in west palm beach florida and we have a dyno and also a lambda sensor data logger to tune my bike with. so it should be alright with that compression right? Let me know what u guys think. :mrgreen:

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
With all those mods you ought be about a tenth quicker in the quarter and 5 mph faster . . . if you change gearing. If it were me I would spend the money on suspension and riding skill.

It been diiscussed that the Factory Pro velocity stacks don't seem to add anything and the O.E.M filter works about as good as anything . . . according to Ivan.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have already dyno tested a BMC vs stock and also had alot of luck with velocity stacks espically on modded bikes. They have been doing different velocity stacks on bikes for a very long time and continue to do so because of how well they are performing.

Im not looking to turn the bike into a full on drag bike jsut somethign to take to the track every now and again. And when I do take it to the track I have the sucker slammed to the ground. Im also a newb to racing bieks at the track but I've shaved down 7 tenths of jsut pratcing Im sure I could get into the 9s one of these days but I Want some more juice from the bike, another 10hp with all of the mods would rock!

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
most 600s have comp ratio in that range and they run pump gas .........so i dont see a problem. but i think there are waaaaay better exhaust systems out now for the 10 ..akrapovic,arata,sato,ti force

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
garth285 said:
HEy guys well as of right now my moor is basically stock, I removed the EGR crap and reloacted the crank case breather.

I have the following mods on their way:
Yosh full system
BMC race filter
Power commander
KAwi intake race cam
factory pro velocity stacks

I Was wondering if I should go ahead and put a thinner head gasket in on my bike? With all those mods Im sure they could help support it a lil more but with compression being 12.7:1 stock brign it up to 13.2:1-13.5:1 With a proper tune on it should regular 93 octane be alright for it?

I work at a local shop in west palm beach florida and we have a dyno and also a lambda sensor data logger to tune my bike with. so it should be alright with that compression right? Let me know what u guys think. :mrgreen:
93 octane will run just fine w/ the head gasket....there are different gaskets though....kawasakis' thin head gasket is .020 less than stock, while muzzys is .030+or- my bike is in the shop as i type getting the racing intake cam, kawi gasket, nitrous, full evo 2, pc3 &tre. i will be posting the dyno sheets wednesday or thursday....the head gasket will give you more power...however slight, and 93 will work just fine.:thumbsup:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when I get my stacks in I will do a dyno run with them in and without them in and see the difference, if its very minor I would prob take them out but if they do give gains liek they are supposed to I'd keep it.

The exhaust system Im getting is a yosh header and mid pipe with a very special yosh can, its a full carbon TRC with carbon cone and it came off of a AMA pro racers bike who Im not quite sure on if Im allowed to say where and who I got it from. but his initials are MM and he rides for suzuki lol....

I've only gone to the strip 3 times, first tiome I Was 2.5 in the rear and had the strap, I ran a 10.6, that was my fiurst time ever on a track, 2nd time I went it was lowered 2.5 rear and 1 in the front and strapped, ran a 10.3 and last night I ran a 10.1 with it lowered 2 in the front. I jsut have to pratice, we only got 3 runs in last night so I wasnet able to accomplish much else but Im working on it, my 60's is what is killin me.....

oh and I did actually work on the weight thing, so far lost 23 lbs from 217 to 194 :-D

Thanx for the replys guys!

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
If you do a search on velocity stacks you'll find they don't produce much more hp on our bikes. I know miykl got them and wasn't too immpressed. :headshake

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ahhhh, yeah when I get all the other mods in on my bike I will leave the stacks out and then do a run with them in and see how they do, I wonder if they are somethign that depends on true ram air as well causd eon our dyno we dont have fans to pump the intake with abotu 140mph winds...... but we shall see!

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh one more thing, do these bikes really need the TRE? cause I thoguth they werent restircted?

·
Registered
319 Posts
It is a pretty good guess that if you raise the compression a half you will get 1-2% increase in power1full point on compression will get you 2-4% yes you can still run pump gas with a thinner headgasket I know some guys that have run 10's with compression at 14:1 and still run pump gas as far as the stacks they pretty much just move the curve around a little you cant really get an accurate reading on a dyno cause not enough air travel but I think the stacks are a little over priced for what they do I think money better spent on track days and suspension work

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeha I Got a killer deal for them got them for 137 so if anything I Can sell them but I';ll try themn out!

·
Registered
119 Posts
swjohnsey said:
You've shaved 7 tenths and you haven't made it to the 9s yet? The secret to faster 1/4 mile times is to lose 50 lbs.

:crackup:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
:+1:
No-Mo said:
It is a pretty good guess that if you raise the compression a half you will get 1-2% increase in power1full point on compression will get you 2-4% yes you can still run pump gas with a thinner headgasket I know some guys that have run 10's with compression at 14:1 and still run pump gas as far as the stacks they pretty much just move the curve around a little you cant really get an accurate reading on a dyno cause not enough air travel but I think the stacks are a little over priced for what they do I think money better spent on track days and suspension work

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was going to get the thinner head gasket, but I went to klaus's speedworks, and they are not impressed with them. Yeah you will get more power, but you loose the integrity of the stronger OEM gasket. I'm going to get my motor out so he can do the Kawi racing cams, mill the head (instead of the gasket), and blue print the the head. Also, I'm adding the completely programable racing ecu., and EVO ll. I had a pclll on it, and it actually takes hp from certain points in the rpm range. I only noticed a little in the mid. Anyway, my point is that milling the head is better because you're not taking from the gasket, and asking it to handle more combustion pressure's. If you ride hard (who doesn't on a ZX10), you'll find out what I mean when it blows.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts