Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all bike lovers. i have been lurking in the shadows (like a ninja) for the last couple of weeks just reading and getting to know the 10R. in 2004 i had the opportunity to ride a friends brand new 04 ZX10 and was in love with the bike ever since. a couple of years later i bought my fist bike and it was a sexy 2001 zx9. loved the bike to bits but always felt that i was missing something. after riding her for 2 years i had a bit of an off with the 9 on cold race tires and she got replaced with a 06 CBR1000 which then got replaced with a 07 CBR1000 HRC. later i sold that one and haven't had a bike since 2010. about a month ago i decided its time to get back on the horse and picked up a very very good condition green Gen1 10R with about 20k km on her and i finally have my dream bike. the empty feeling has been filled.

The first couple of days she scared the living crap out of me and i wasn't willing to take her over 7000rpm for what was kind of fear for my life but also due to the fact that i haven't ridden a bike in 4 years. she is an absolute dream to ride everyday even in the winter even though she has got a little bit of a cough over 8000rpm at the moment :confused:. going to start the fault finding mission this weekend starting with cleaning of the fuel pump/filter.

Im predicting many many happy hours of fun riding on what according to me is one of the most beatifull bikes on the road.

See you guys on the black stuff!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few pics. she is pretty much stock appart from a akro slip on and BMC filter. soon ill be getting some rearsets on her (Still researching on what to get) riflemans 1/5 and a -1,+2 conversion. the exchange rate here in SA is horrible though so its not always as easy as you guys make it look.

20140622_131835_resized.jpg

20140623_144253_resized.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this morning i was riding to work and 300m from my office a guy turned infront of me without indicating. i got on the brakes quite hard, the back of the bike lifted to about 45 to 50 degrees (at that moment i thought this stoppie has to look bloody great :wink: ), got off the brake again to let the rear end down and then got on the brake again as i was now about 15ft from the guy and ended up rolling the bike over the front wheel. not too much damage as it all looks to be cosmetic and a bent brake lever. All the side panels are 100% fine as the bike ended up landing on me :badteeth: She will live again soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
Damn man! Sorry to hear that. Welcome to the site though, maybe you can score some parts in the classifieds.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the welcome!

Yeah I’ll have a look today. Already ordered a zero gravity screen and CRG shorty levers. Shipping to South Africa is astronomically high though. I had a look at a fairing kit on ebay (Not available in SA) where i think the price was a fairly reasonable $262, no clue about the quality though, but shipping is $350. That is equivalent to the average personal income here. For that reason i have looked at a few places to have the 3 damaged panels repaired which was quoted to cost around R800 (+-$80). if the work being done isn’t to my total satisfaction ill look for some OEM plastics over time. my aim is to get her to look brand new again. luckily the bike didn’t pick up any damage other than what can be seen on the pics.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Shit happens, its just that there are times when we'd rather it didn't and just after buying your dream bike is one of them :sad:

Good gen1's are getting thin on the ground and yours looks ace! or at least it will do :thumbsup:

Good luck sourcing the parts

Love the Avatar

:welcome:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know where i can get this part from? its pretty much the only part that can not be repaired as it is missing a few pieces. im having no luck locally and cant see anything on ebay either.

Thanx Guys

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx allot Slash!!!

Now i got what i need. Part# 16146-0024-7F COVER-ASSY,TAIL,RR,L.GREEN
Shipping was as i expected $20 more than the part itself from motosport.com but at least now i have a place to go back to if i cant find one where the shipping is a little cheaper.

Thanx again!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seeing as everyone on here likes picks i added this to my thread. Friend of mine picked up a black gen 1 on saterday. Its his 3rd gen1 that he has owned over the years. Good looking bike with full arata, pc3, worked forks, ohlins rear shock, gilles rearsets, brembo mc. What is strange though is that it still has stock rear bodywork and stock screen and no damper. These will be upgraded soon. Looking forward to have a ride with a fellow gen1 rider!

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Here's mine! Also SA..Cape Town....my 5th ZX10R :)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts