Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys I'm a new ZX owner, I just bought a 98 zx-7r, the very very dark purple color, with only 4100 miles!!! its a gorgeous machine, is there anything i should know about these bikes, things to look out for etc... the bike has a dynojet and d&d carbon fiber slip on and im psyched to ride, comin from a 2005 500r im excited to hop on a zx. also, if anyone is from new york lemme know!!

nick

ps, ill get pics up soon

·
Registered
319 Posts
I also had a 500 before jumping on the 7R. As long as you maintain the bike properly, you should not expirienece any troubles. It is old technology. The latest 7R design came out in 1996 and remained the same until 2003, the last year. It is an excellent motorcycle, but way heavier than the current bikes. This weight is good and bad; makes it a steady motorcycle but at the same time it is difficult to compete with updated bikes. Unless you perform extensive engine work, the max power you will see is 110-118hp. Mine puts out 112hp with a jet kit, K&N filter, and a Yoshimura slip on. I also own an 07 ZX-10R. Ergos feel the same, but the 10 is way lighter. The 7R throttle lags a bit compared to a fuel injected system. Whatever you do, do not let the bike seat in place for an extended period without running it (extended period= more than a month).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
about the not letting it sit very long, the guy i bought it from said it sat for 5 years, i imagine without running, before he bought it. He then had the fuel system disassembled and cleaned, the carbs re jetted, and a full tune up performed. He also got a new battery, the carbs synced and rejetted, valve lash, oil changed, new plugs, coolant flush, clean air filter, and lube/adjusted the chain. is there anything else he should have done to it after it sitting for that long, or is there anything i should do or look out for?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't think there is anythingelse to do. My bike sat without running for 15mos. I did all of the maintenance you mentioned except for the carb work. The 7R is my daily ride.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The 7R is bulletproof. With all that work done, you should be good to go. The only thing I would do is replace the clutch pushrod seal on the left side of the engine. They are prone to popping out and leaking oil all over your rear tire. That's about the only issue with P model bikes.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yeah, they're big, heavy, old tech and all that but the 7R is still one of the sharpest looking bikes out there. I've had a soft spot for those ever since i've beena ble to drive, its the first "fast bike" that i rode. They used to give a lot of bigger bike a run for there money on the street. Plus there is just something about seeing that big fairing up in a wheelie...........

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
very nice. i bet that d&d purrs pretty loud. welcome!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I still miss my 99 7R Candy persimmon red til this day. Sold it right after I did a 9R motor swap and still regret it:lol: That purple was my second colour choice. Nice bike, super clean!

________
Vaporizer affiliate programs

·
Registered
381 Posts
You lucky bastard! I love the 7r and will someday own a zx7rr! And that color, purplish-black micah, is awesome! Second only to the lime green! The '99 zx7r in lime green with the black frame may be the best looking bike ever!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a 98 7R myself. I had the green though. There are days I wish I still had it. The only thing I hated about it was the "flange-on" muffler. Without a full system they just look like like you skimped on your pipe! I went with a full Muzzy when I had mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i am also a new owner of 2000 zx-7 i just brought it and it had some problems only because of the swap to a zx-9 which turned out to be bored to 9.5 i am very interested in seeing what this bike is going to do once rebuilt and running right. i am currently changing the color from oe to blue as well. your bike looks tight i like the black

1 - 20 of 24 Posts