Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The two steel cables are still there, they are just connected to a different device at the end. :) But yeah, my throttle on my GEN5 isn't nearly as smooth as it is on my GEN4. I'm told that can be fixed but I'm not convinced. Definitely a fun bike to ride though.
Didn't know how it was done, not like the BMW, but like Yamaha's new R1, they still retain the cables for feel but attached to a pot.

I am not convinced yet either, the processing power and programming of the completely ECU-controlled throttling has a little ways to come yet. I DO think that Kawasaki may be the first to really "get it" though.

The Gen 5 really impresses me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been to Kawasaki today. As i expected nothing will be done at the moment. The issue is already known by them. But the say it is a problem caused by the user :-( The got the FINs with this problem but no statement from Japan. I think it is important that everyone, having or who has had this Problem, should report it to Kawasaki.

For me it's a normal behaviour and i don't understand the problem. Cause my bike should not stall/shut down in any case. In my opinion this is dangerous...

Once again: with KQS enabled you pull the Clutch, shut the throttle complete and shift. Your engine will be shutting off. Had this Problem with two bikes!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Did it to me once when I went from 1st to 3rd without letting out clutch. Just shift shift stall. Real quick like at low rpm I think I just iniated the kill for too long too close together that's all.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I bought my 30th Anniversary in December, 2014 after mulling all the choices out there in a superbike. I had almost decided on the Yamaha, then figured the BMW (redesigned for 2015) was the way to go. I sat on a Gen 4 in the dealer. I had not even considered the Kawi at that point. It was a perfect fit and felt light and balanced, not stiff as a brick like the BMW and Aprilia. But one of the main reasons I got the Kawasaki was because it still had the cable-operated butterflies, and it was a fifth-year production run.

All I have seen and read regarding the Gen 5 as well as the BMW, Yamaha, and the other RbW bikes with QS and so on have completely convinced me this stuff is premature for a streetbike. I have no doubt KHI will get this sorted in due time but missing out on riding and having that trepidation that the bike could stall at any time are not fun to live with.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Update to this for me.

I raced this weekend at RRR and I did have it randomly stall on me, both times though were at a complete stop. First time was rolling to a stop as I was going out to hot pit, stopped to check the transponder and it died. Started right back up and I went on.

The 2nd time was in the pits, took it off the stands, put it into gear and it stalled.

That's different than the stalling issues I and others have had, where it stalled shifting into 2nd or 3rd. But I haven't had that issue since flashing it. But I did notice these 2 random stalls over the course of the weekend. Strange, but didn't cause me any problems. Just thought I'd point it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My bike is doing this shut off and I only have about 70 miles on my bike. Has done it about 3 different times on me and just as many of you have described. What drives me crazy the most is that the factory KQS is a lot slower than my aftermarket Dynojet QS I have hooked up to by 2013 ZX-6. I mean its night and day difference on the engagement speed of the shift. Can you adjust the KQS shift speed at all to be set at a faster engaging shift point like you can with the DJ QS unit?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Nope. At least not with Woolich or Flash Tune, but maybe it can be done with the race ECU.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Just curious if in addition to the shift times can the gradual power application after the shift also be adjusted?
That I'm not sure about. It may get rid of it though as I didn't hear any complaints from our local guys riding them. I'd have to take another look at the manual which isn't in front of me at the moment. I had the old one on my phone which was nice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update: I have put a few more miles on my bike and tried several different scenarios to narrow down what is going on. This is what I came up with. The bike only shuts down on me while upshifting (never downshifting) when using the clutch while the KQS is enabled. This is very random and does not do it very often (but has happened at least 20 times over a 350 mile period). The speed, rpm and gear selection does not matter. Only consistent thing is having the KQS enabled, then upshifting while pulling in the clutch. As soon as the clutch is pulled in the engine shuts off and does not come back on. If you release the clutch the bike will not just restart, it slows to a stop. You have to pull the clutch back in and hit the start button and then you are back on your way. The bike has never shut down on my while using the KQS and not pulling in the clutch.

Brought it to the dealer and they could not find any codes or reasons why it would do this (didn't think they would). They said this is the first report that Kawasaki has ever heard of this. They have got Kawasaki Technical support involved and gone through a few suggestions over a weeks period and have not come up with anything. Last report was that Kawasaki said that I should not be using the clutch while KQS is enabled. I will pick up my bike this afternoon and record the next few events then go from there.

Even when KQS is enabled the engine should never die if I decide to use the clutch and I did pass that on to the dealer. On my BMW S1000RR, I always left my quick shift turned on and could use the clutch anytime without the engine ever stalling out and not restarting. Same thing for my Suzuki GSXR 750 track bike with aftermarket quick shift. I like to pull out on the highway from my house and use the KQS through a couple gears, but when I am running around town or neighborhoods, I tend to use the clutch instead of clutch less shifts. To me it seems to be a communication problem between the clutch lever switch and KQS. The KQS does its job by momentarily killing the engine power, but it never gives the power back.

Must not be much of an issue because no one is reporting it, but it is driving me nuts just knowing the engine could just shut down randomly for no reason.
I have exactly the same issue,
Really annoying and only does it when going slowly and when moving from 1st to 2nd. I love having the QS switched on but now I dare not use it as the bike is prone to shutting down.

If I switch off the QS the bike never fails.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been to Kawasaki today. As i expected nothing will be done at the moment. The issue is already known by them. But the say it is a problem caused by the user :-( The got the FINs with this problem but no statement from Japan. I think it is important that everyone, having or who has had this Problem, should report it to Kawasaki.

For me it's a normal behaviour and i don't understand the problem. Cause my bike should not stall/shut down in any case. In my opinion this is dangerous...

Once again: with KQS enabled you pull the Clutch, shut the throttle complete and shift. Your engine will be shutting off. Had this Problem with two bikes!
Did you ever get this sorted?

I have exactly the same issue,
Really annoying and only does it when going slowly and when moving from 1st to 2nd. I love having the QS switched on but now I dare not use it as the bike is prone to shutting down.

If I switch off the QS the bike never fails.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts