Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yes, mine would die similarly if I gave it a bit of aggressive throttle and then pull the clutch and let completely off the throttle after I swapped my exhaust and did an initial WOT only tune. I haven't had it do this since I had Gary Virgin tune my bike. It might have done it completely stock as well but I didn't put many miles on it before swapping exhaust.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've only got about 100 miles on my 16 and it has done the same thing to me 3 times. Once going 1-2 and twice going 2-3. All 3 were on the street lightly coming out of a traffic light.

It's going back to the dealer shortly. Been busy though. Bought the bike Saturday. Went to YCRS on Tuesday and just got back. lol

·
Registered
450 Posts
The way i see people explaining the shutting down problem , I would pay more attention to the timing chain then the electronics or tuning , If timing chain have a bit of slack when load is taking off of it will change valve timing and that cause vacuum difference in intake manifold which could shut down the bike with electronic TB , IMO
My G5 only have 500 miles on it and haven't had that problem yet .

I haven't open the timing chain tensioner on 2016 yet but G4 had step which the spring wasn't as hard to put it in next step so by doing it manually the noise problem was solved specially bikes with low mileage at beginning which chain will stretch to a point.

·
Registered
698 Posts
You know what they say, on the Internet, Everyone is an Expert!

So let me just throw this out...

I found out when using the Auto-Blip for Downshifting (thank you Woolich!), if you rest your two on the shifter instead of tapping it down and releasing, it will keep blipping the throttle. (scared the crap out of me the first time) :grin2:

Could you possibly be holding the shifter UP and be chopping the throttle continuously? Just a thought...

·
Registered
271 Posts
You know what they say, on the Internet, Everyone is an Expert!

So let me just throw this out...

I found out when using the Auto-Blip for Downshifting (thank you Woolich!), if you rest your two on the shifter instead of tapping it down and releasing, it will keep blipping the throttle. (scared the crap out of me the first time) :grin2:

Could you possibly be holding the shifter UP and be chopping the throttle continuously? Just a thought...
Yea if you set it for soft activation and tap it gently, it'll blip without shifting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Made quite a few more short trips and definitely only happens when the KQS is turned on. I use the clutch then upshift and the engine dies. It doesn't do it every single time, but quite often. No particular gear either. Just whenever it feels like it.

Turn the KQS off and the engine never dies when I pull the clutch in and upshift. Not one single time have I had the problem with KQS turned off.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Silly question but why coast along? There is no need. If your coming up to a car and clutch is in then your slowing down so i always downshift and use engine braking to slow down.
Secondly are you 100% sure the quickshifter is not being accidently touched by your foot over bumps?
Easy test is to ride along and pull clutch in and see if you can create the problem by just touching the shifter a tiny bit.
It could be a faulty shifter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Made quite a few more short trips and definitely only happens when the KQS is turned on. I use the clutch then upshift and the engine dies. It doesn't do it every single time, but quite often. No particular gear either. Just whenever it feels like it.

Turn the KQS off and the engine never dies when I pull the clutch in and upshift. Not one single time have I had the problem with KQS turned off.
I'd be curious to hear what Kawasaki recommends here. Seeing as the quick shift is to be used with the throttle open and without using the clutch I wonder if they would recommend avoiding blipping throttle and clutching in while KQS is enabled. I wonder if it's using the clutch or killing the throttle that is the culprit here. I have seen that people recommend using the clutch when going from 1st to 2nd even if they have a quick shifter, which of course would make the KQS kill the engine quite often.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have the KQS on and shift normally using the clutch and don't notice any difference if KQS is on or off. For me it just seems to be there when I want it. Maybe it's my style, can't say.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Update: I have put a few more miles on my bike and tried several different scenarios to narrow down what is going on. This is what I came up with. The bike only shuts down on me while upshifting (never downshifting) when using the clutch while the KQS is enabled. This is very random and does not do it very often (but has happened at least 20 times over a 350 mile period). The speed, rpm and gear selection does not matter. Only consistent thing is having the KQS enabled, then upshifting while pulling in the clutch. As soon as the clutch is pulled in the engine shuts off and does not come back on. If you release the clutch the bike will not just restart, it slows to a stop. You have to pull the clutch back in and hit the start button and then you are back on your way. The bike has never shut down on my while using the KQS and not pulling in the clutch.

Brought it to the dealer and they could not find any codes or reasons why it would do this (didn't think they would). They said this is the first report that Kawasaki has ever heard of this. They have got Kawasaki Technical support involved and gone through a few suggestions over a weeks period and have not come up with anything. Last report was that Kawasaki said that I should not be using the clutch while KQS is enabled. I will pick up my bike this afternoon and record the next few events then go from there.

Even when KQS is enabled the engine should never die if I decide to use the clutch and I did pass that on to the dealer. On my BMW S1000RR, I always left my quick shift turned on and could use the clutch anytime without the engine ever stalling out and not restarting. Same thing for my Suzuki GSXR 750 track bike with aftermarket quick shift. I like to pull out on the highway from my house and use the KQS through a couple gears, but when I am running around town or neighborhoods, I tend to use the clutch instead of clutch less shifts. To me it seems to be a communication problem between the clutch lever switch and KQS. The KQS does its job by momentarily killing the engine power, but it never gives the power back.

Must not be much of an issue because no one is reporting it, but it is driving me nuts just knowing the engine could just shut down randomly for no reason.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Must not be much of an issue because no one is reporting it, but it is driving me nuts just knowing the engine could just shut down randomly for no reason.
I decided not to use it since my other bike doesn't have quick shift and it's easier to just do what I've been doing for years rather than start learning not to use the clutch. If I raced I'd probably feel different. I definitely agree that the bike shouldn't kill even if Kawasaki says you shouldn't be using the clutch with KQS enabled. I think it'll be reported quite a lot in time, it didn't take much for me to reproduce it on my bike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello,

im from Germany having the same problems. The bike shuts down when shifting up and KQS is enabled. This happens about 3 times in 50 miles. Very annoying cause the Bike is otherwise very awesome...

Was anyone able to solve the Problems or any other news about this issue?

Thanks alot

·
Registered
576 Posts
I had the same issue, it had shut down on my about 7 times over the first 120 miles. Then I flashed it via Woolich after installing rear sets and changing the shift pattern. I did a trackday on it and it didn't die all day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is very interesting. Thought about flashing mine too. I'm now able to produce the dying to 95%. It dies when closing the throttle complete, pull the clutch and shift. I think it just happens from 1-2 and 3-4. Did you change anything else in the flash? Fuel cut-off or map?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I think the Gen 5 is probably the best superbike out there especially for the $$$. But I am thankful I got the last year of the Gen 4 because the ride-by-wire thing has not been sorted yet by any manufacturer. Uncommanded accelerations, decelerations, unexpected stalling, and enough episodes of generally unpredictable throttle response need to be ironed out.

It's a new technology on motorcycles. It will be ironed out eventually. But I like the confidence those two steel cables give me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thats right but it also offers new possibilities. For example the auto blipper or cornering managment etc. Hope i'll learn to drive the bike without shutting off. Or Kawasaki will find a way to fix it (not very hopeful about that :))

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I think the Gen 5 is probably the best superbike out there especially for the $$$. But I am thankful I got the last year of the Gen 4 because the ride-by-wire thing has not been sorted yet by any manufacturer. Uncommanded accelerations, decelerations, unexpected stalling, and enough episodes of generally unpredictable throttle response need to be ironed out.

It's a new technology on motorcycles. It will be ironed out eventually. But I like the confidence those two steel cables give me.
The two steel cables are still there, they are just connected to a different device at the end. :) But yeah, my throttle on my GEN5 isn't nearly as smooth as it is on my GEN4. I'm told that can be fixed but I'm not convinced. Definitely a fun bike to ride though.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts