Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have been holding for posting this to wait and see if it's resolved, but I had the throttle bodies replaced under warranty immediately upon delivery. It was possible to give the bike a little gas by putting pressure on throttle, like in a stop. (Opposite way as normally applied) it wasn't fixable by the throttle cables. The part where the cables hooked to bodies wiggled a tad and it would allow throttle when it wasn't suppose to.

·
Registered
374 Posts
From the response so far, this may not be a random issue. 2016 is a year of several new electronic technologies added to the ZX10r. It's possible there's a gremlin that made it past the engineers.

For those who have experienced this, it would be a good idea to continue reporting to your dealer so that the factory is aware to potentially resolve and eventually present a fix.

Personally I would not be confident riding a bike that can cut out especially in busy city traffic.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The Kawasaki manual says that KQS cuts ignition when it detects the shift lever being shifted up. Could that explain the engine dying when shifting up with KQS enabled and the clutch is pulled in? If the clutch is out and the bike is moving and in gear the engine will keep running unless there is an issue. That's my theory. I will mention it next time I go to my dealer but that will likely be a few weeks off as they are in the process of moving to a new larger location.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
The Kawasaki manual says that KQS cuts ignition when it detects the shift lever being shifted up. Could that explain the engine dying when shifting up with KQS enabled and the clutch is pulled in? If the clutch is out and the bike is moving and in gear the engine will keep running unless there is an issue. That's my theory. I will mention it next time I go to my dealer but that will likely be a few weeks off as they are in the process of moving to a new larger location.

It's possible, but not very likely imo. The kill time is in milliseconds and no different than the aftermarket quick shifters. And it doesn't explain why the engine dies while decelerating and down shifting. But without knowing what else is happening behind the scenes, there may be something going on with it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's possible, but not very likely imo. The kill time is in milliseconds and no different than the aftermarket quick shifters. And it doesn't explain why the engine dies while decelerating and down shifting. But without knowing what else is happening behind the scenes, there may be something going on with it.
Mine has never killed while downshifting, only when up shifting using the clutch/blipping the throttle when KQS is enabled. I'm nothing even close to an expert and I just assumed at the time that using the clutch with KQS enabled might be a bad thing since my engine cut a few times when I used my clutch out of habit. Just turned it off since I didn't want to make a habit of clutchless up shifts and I'm just riding on the street anyway. Like others I'll keep following this thread if anyone else comes up with anything.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
Mine has never killed while downshifting, only when up shifting using the clutch/blipping the throttle when KQS is enabled. I'm nothing even close to an expert and I just assumed at the time that using the clutch with KQS enabled might be a bad thing since my engine cut a few times when I used my clutch out of habit. Just turned it off since I didn't want to make a habit of clutchless up shifts and I'm just riding on the street anyway. Like others I'll keep following this thread if anyone else comes up with anything.

The op said his was shutting off when coming to a stop.

I have a Bazzaz quick shifter on my gen 4 and it uses ignition kill as well. There's no way to turn it off. It's on all the time whether using the clutch or not. The motor has never shut down. I use the clutch as normal most of the time rather than the quick shift. We're talking about kill times here than should range from about 30-80 milliseconds depending on the gear. That's not long enough to kill the motor even with it at idle. It's just long enough to cause a studder in the motor to unload the transmission.

Again, not saying you're not onto a theory here, just trying to wrap my head around how that would be possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Mine has never shut down on me while downshifting either. Coming to a stop sign was just one example of when it has occurred to me. It seems to be when I pull the clutch in and hold it in while up shifting also. Getting ready to go and ride again to try it out some more with the KQS off.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
Mine has never shut down on me while downshifting either. Coming to a stop sign was just one example of when it has occurred to me. It seems to be when I pull the clutch in and hold it in while up shifting also. Getting ready to go and ride again to try it out some more with the KQS off.
OK, but wouldn't you be downshifting coming to a stop sign? At least just coasting along, right? Not upshifting or downshifting.

And I'm not sure I'm following when you say "hold it in while upshifting". It should just be a quick smooth movement. Or are you skipping gears and making more than one shift in between letting the clutch out?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sorry for the confusion. It only happens when up shifting. I start from a dead stop and take off from an intersection or stop sign. I take off then run up to about 5,000 rpm or so and pull the clutch in. I shift up to the next gear but do not apply the throttle. I continue holding the clutch in to coast a little due to a slow car in front of me or a stop sign coming up in a neighborhood. The engine just shuts off on me, then I hit the start button to crank it back up.

The very first time I rode my bike it never shut down on me and the KQS was turned off. The second trip I turned on the KQS and it shut down on me while shifting up but using the clutch with no immediate throttle applied. It shut down on me 7 more times within the next 5 short trips I made.

I turned off KQS as suggested and tried to duplicate the problem yesterday and again today but it never shut off on me. Seems to be pointing toward the KQS. I am up for suggestions and recommendations. I have notified the dealer and have been communicating with them. Hope that helps explain it a little better.

OK, but wouldn't you be downshifting coming to a stop sign? At least just coasting along, right? Not upshifting or downshifting.

And I'm not sure I'm following when you say "hold it in while upshifting". It should just be a quick smooth movement. Or are you skipping gears and making more than one shift in between letting the clutch out?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Battery connection or battery problem ?

A loose battery connection will shut down the entire bike if the connection with the battery is lost, check this if it loose or a battery malfunction.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Battery connection or battery problem ?

A loose battery connection will shut down the entire bike if the connection with the battery is lost, check this if it loose or a battery malfunction.
Connection to battery nice and tight. Problem has only occurred specifically while up shifting at low speed using the clutch & blipping the throttle while having KQS enabled. I've got over 2300 miles on my bike and it's never giving any issues under any other circumstances. Runs great aside from a slight noise from the cam-chain.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Im telling you its the throttle body sync
And yet when I emailed Kawasaki Customer Service about needing special equipment (KDS) to Sync the TB's, I got this reply...:headshake:

Hi Gary,

From what I'm told, by the top guys over here, that it is not necessary to balance the throttle bodies on these bikes. There are no performance gains to be had and these throttle bodies do not require synchronizing thanks to the computer controlled fuel injection.

So hey! No need to EVER Synch trhe TB's ! :confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Same here.

QUOTE=th3r3ds0x;4195714]Connection to battery nice and tight. Problem has only occurred specifically while up shifting at low speed using the clutch & blipping the throttle while having KQS enabled. I've got over 2300 miles on my bike and it's never giving any issues under any other circumstances. Runs great aside from a slight noise from the cam-chain.[/QUOTE]

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
And yet when I emailed Kawasaki Customer Service about needing special equipment (KDS) to Sync the TB's, I got this reply...:headshake:

Hi Gary,

From what I'm told, by the top guys over here, that it is not necessary to balance the throttle bodies on these bikes. There are no performance gains to be had and these throttle bodies do not require synchronizing thanks to the computer controlled fuel injection.

Yeah, but that's sort of BS. Sort of....

There's a procedure in the manual on how to synchronize the TBs. According to the periodic maintenance chart, it should be checked and adjusted, if needed, every 7,600 miles. It's pretty involved and on the Gen 5 requires a KDS computer. The problem is that the main butterfly valves are connected via a rod to a single motor that operates them all at the same time. There will be slight variations in the TBs. The procedure to synch them all up is to adjust the bypass screws in the TBs to account for these slight differences which produce differing vacuum (and my previous posts I mentioned the Idle Control Valve is vacuum driven :wink:).

In practice though, there's really not that much variation from the factory and these shouldn't need to be adjusted any. Unfortunately without the Kawi Diagnostic system (KDS) the procedure on the Gen 5 is pretty hard to do since the ETVs will be constantly adjusting on there own based on computer commands.

It's an area that should be considered when troubleshooting this problem, however. I wouldn't worry too much about it otherwise though.

·
Registered
450 Posts

Hi Gary,

That is what i told you on your other post , it is sync electronically and is done when they built it , you should refer this to idle adjustment not TB sync , that is how manufacturers look at it , and it makes sense because you are not adjusting the throttle body , you are adjusting vacuum for idle solenoid .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've also had my zx10r stall out on me but mine only happened on downshifts. It's happened about 5 times in 2,000 miles of riding. The one time it caught me off guard and my back wheel locked up almost lost control...

·
The Pace
7,013 Posts
Connection to battery nice and tight. Problem has only occurred specifically while up shifting at low speed using the clutch & blipping the throttle while having KQS enabled. I've got over 2300 miles on my bike and it's never giving any issues under any other circumstances. Runs great aside from a slight noise from the cam-chain.
if your battery was never loose in the box to dork the connection to the starter then most likely good, but I'd check that connection to make sure.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts