Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2016 zx10r less than a month ago and currently have around 240 miles on it. I am having one issue of concern that I will have to get the dealer involved with, but would like to know if anyone else is seeing the same thing.

The bike has shut down on me around 8 times so far, out of the blue and for no reason while underway. I hit the starter button and it fires right back up. No alarms or codes. It's like someone hit the kill switch. I am sure it will not have any active codes to easily troubleshoot and it doesn’t happen consistently.

It shuts down whenever I am going up to the next gear. I am usually around 5,000 rpm and switch to the next gear. I pull the clutch in and put it in the next gear and if I just hold the clutch in, rpm comes back down to below idle and the engine shuts down. So, if I pull the clutch in between gears and apply zero throttle it will shut off. As long as I switch gears and keep applying some throttle it will continue running. It runs great with no issues and if I use the quick shift I have no problems. I know it will be hard to troubleshoot since it isn’t happening every time. I am sure I can capture what is going on with my go pro camera. Let me know if anyone has had this issue or knows what will resolve it. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The bike is completely stock.

Just purchased a 2016 zx10r less than a month ago and currently have around 240 miles on it. I am having one issue of concern that I will have to get the dealer involved with, but would like to know if anyone else is seeing the same thing.

The bike has shut down on me around 8 times so far, out of the blue and for no reason while underway. I hit the starter button and it fires right back up. No alarms or codes. It's like someone hit the kill switch. I am sure it will not have any active codes to easily troubleshoot and it doesn’t happen consistently.

It shuts down whenever I am going up to the next gear. I am usually around 5,000 rpm and switch to the next gear. I pull the clutch in and put it in the next gear and if I just hold the clutch in, rpm comes back down to below idle and the engine shuts down. So, if I pull the clutch in between gears and apply zero throttle it will shut off. As long as I switch gears and keep applying some throttle it will continue running. It runs great with no issues and if I use the quick shift I have no problems. I know it will be hard to troubleshoot since it isn’t happening every time. I am sure I can capture what is going on with my go pro camera. Let me know if anyone has had this issue or knows what will resolve it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

New R1 had a similar issue first year. Throttle-by-wire ECU seems to be quirky. Suspect interface between quickshift and ECU/RidebyWire. Probably many will be recalled. Be sure to report this to your dealer and Kawasaki corporate right away, this is a safety issue.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,390 Posts
:welcome:

Couple of questions....is the FI light on? Why are you holding the clutch in in-between gears for extended periods like you describe?

... rpm comes back down to below idle and the engine shuts down...
The Gen 1, Gen 2, and Gen 3 all had operator complaints of the same thing happening. It was because they set their idle speed too low. Idle speed is supposed to be 1,100rpm +-50rpm. On the Gen 4 and 5 the idle speed is automatically controlled by, get this, an Idle Speed Control valve. :idea:

Sounds to me like it might need a bit of adjustment. Since it's controlled by engine vacuum, there may be a slight misadjustment or the ISC valve may be faulty. I wouldn't be too worried about major issues but you should have it looked at by your dealer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any chance you have KWS enabled and are accidentally using the clutch/blipping the throttle too? Happened to me. Stopped using KQS since I don't need it and since I have multiple bikes I'd prefer not to make clutchless shifting a habit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any chance you have KWS enabled and are accidentally using the clutch/blipping the throttle too? Happened to me. Stopped using KQS since I don't need it and since I have multiple bikes I'd prefer not to make clutchless shifting a habit.
Sorry KQS not KWS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FI light does not come on. Power just shuts down completely and I have to hit the starter button. This happens when cruising around the neighborhoods around here. I go through a couple gears and then see an upcoming stop sign, so just hold the clutch in while coasting a little bit. It isn't an extended time, bike just shuts down. I have owned 30 plus street bikes and this has never happened and should not happen.

:welcome:

Couple of questions....is the FI light on? Why are you holding the clutch in in-between gears for extended periods like you describe?

The Gen 1, Gen 2, and Gen 3 all had operator complaints of the same thing happening. It was because they set their idle speed too low. Idle speed is supposed to be 1,100rpm +-50rpm. On the Gen 4 and 5 the idle speed is automatically controlled by, get this, an Idle Speed Control valve. :idea:

Sounds to me like it might need a bit of adjustment. Since it's controlled by engine vacuum, there may be a slight misadjustment or the ISC valve may be faulty. I wouldn't be too worried about major issues but you should have it looked at by your dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes sir, KQS is active. I will have to turn it off and see if it happens. Just sold a 2012 BMW S1000RR with quickshift and this never happened, but you may be on to something. I'll try it out. Thanks

Sorry KQS not KWS.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Bike shouldn't ever cut out when clutch is in with no load on the engine. I would take your bike in and have it checked out. Stuff usually only gets worse and seldom gets better.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes sir, KQS is active. I will have to turn it off and see if it happens. Just sold a 2012 BMW S1000RR with quickshift and this never happened, but you may be on to something. I'll try it out. Thanks
When it happened to me it was a couple times I made the mistake of using the clutch/blipping the throttle with KQS enabled. Like I said I disabled the feature as I'd rather just shift the old fashioned way. The couple times it happened I just kept the clutch in and hit the starter and kept on down the road. It only happened with the conditions described above. I've never stalled the bike or had it kill on me under any other circumstances. I have 2300 miles on the bike now and it runs great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've put about 900 miles on my bike so far and haven't had this issue... However, when I went to test-ride a different '16 ZX-10R at a random dealership, there were multiple times I was sitting at a light or stop sign with the clutch pulled in all the way and no load on the engine, and I could feel the engine sputter a few times as if it was about to give out.

At that time I just assumed the dealer who set it up didn't set the idle speed properly, but mine appears to idle at the same speed and has always run strong with no issues. I also didn't know that gens 4-5 are controlled automatically... definitely take it to a dealer and have them look at it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
FI light does not come on. Power just shuts down completely and I have to hit the starter button. This happens when cruising around the neighborhoods around here. I go through a couple gears and then see an upcoming stop sign, so just hold the clutch in while coasting a little bit. It isn't an extended time, bike just shuts down. I have owned 30 plus street bikes and this has never happened and should not happen.
Absolutely right, sir. Get it looked at. Nothing like having a lack of confidence in your hardware, especially at this level.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've had this happen 3 times over the last 6 months. And each time it's been while I've shifted into 2nd gear at low RPM using the clutch and not the Quick Shifter as I wasn't accelerating that much. As soon as I touched the KS it just cut out like it got hit by an EMP.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've had this happen 3 times over the last 6 months. And each time it's been while I've shifted into 2nd gear at low RPM using the clutch and not the Quick Shifter as I wasn't accelerating that much. As soon as I touched the KS it just cut out like it got hit by an EMP.
That's exactly when it happened to me. Engine just cut like I hit the kill switch.

·
The Pace
7,014 Posts
battery cable is messed up perhaps at the starter is my first guess. A shift tweaks that cable. I'd check the connectors first, ofc.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,390 Posts
The quick shifter should only work during up shifts. It should not have any effect on down shifts while slowing down on a stock bike. Anything is possible, but I'd doubt that is the issue. But if your toe is near the shifter and slightly activating it somehow?

If the battery cable was loose our anything, I'd expect to see the dash reset on a power loss, and that wouldn't kill the motor in most cases.

Reactions: ddipaola

·
Registered
165 Posts
It shuts down whenever I am going up to the next gear. I am usually around 5,000 rpm and switch to the next gear. I pull the clutch in and put it in the next gear and if I just hold the clutch in, rpm comes back down to below idle and the engine shuts down. Let me know if anyone has had this issue or knows what will resolve it. Thanks
Happened to me too mate. But only a couple of times. The problem vanished after the first service somehow.

·
Registered
165 Posts
the EXACT same pattern when it used to cut off for me too. 2nd gear, no QS but clutch (tho QS was activated).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey th3r3ds0x, that just may be it. I disabled the KQS and took the bike for a spin trying to duplicate previous trips. Bike never shut down on me. I will try it out some more and then try it with the KQS on to see if that is it. Hope it is, but still don't really like that it does that.

I have a Suzuki 750 with aftermarket quick shift and had the BMW S1000RR with oem quick shift and never had this issue. My driving style hasn't changed at all. Thanks for everyone's input and I appreciate the help. I'll keep you informed.

When it happened to me it was a couple times I made the mistake of using the clutch/blipping the throttle with KQS enabled. Like I said I disabled the feature as I'd rather just shift the old fashioned way. The couple times it happened I just kept the clutch in and hit the starter and kept on down the road. It only happened with the conditions described above. I've never stalled the bike or had it kill on me under any other circumstances. I have 2300 miles on the bike now and it runs great.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts