Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have just bought an 04 zx10r, it has had new chain and sprockets just put on by the last owner but it has a 43t sprocket on the back im aware that the standard is 39t, im not too keen on this gearing and im thinking of goin back to standard, or maybe 40t, which is the best gearing for me? i dont want to sacrifice top end but i also like wheelies.. and also are all the brakes shite on the zx10rs? mine are terrible and spondgy i have bled them and there is HEL lines on it but no better? cheers

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
the gearing of choice for the 04-05 is -1 front and +2 rear.. that 43t will give u massive take off though but it is bringing your top end down a good bit..

welcome to the site

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
do you know if your front sprocket is stock or not??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not sure im goin to have a look this afternoon, what is the benefit of changing the front sprocket? (sorry for the silly questions)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Welcome! I'm running -1+1 (16-40) setup and like it but a 16-41 seems to be the most popular that people are using on the 1st gen.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Front sprocket has a larger impact on gearing than the rear. -1 in the front is almost equivilant to +3 in the rear. For street use i would not go any more than -1 +2 from stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has the standard front sprocket, so just +4 on the back, will it be alot less wheelie happy if i put it back to standard on the rear too?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yeah, it won't wheelie as well at stock gearing. if front is stock and rear is +4 that's just a little bit less than 1- +2.. i think you're fine

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts
Well, with +4 its pretty close to -1+1 overall so even just going down -1 only its not gonna change too dramatically. The 10R has loads of power, and the Gen1 (04-05) is a wheelie monster as it is. Take your time and get adjusted to the bike, then decide on gearing. I had -1 on my 05 and it had plenty down low and up top. Good luck and congrats on the 04!!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have stock gearing on my Gen I and 162.xx hp on the dyno (rear wheel) and I don't think I will change a thing. It will bring the wheel up if provoked but it will keep it down and flat ass fly with the stock gearing. 105 in first with a little front wheel hover is fine by me :thumbsup: But it's your bike and your style so ride it the way you want just be careful these things are nasty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers guys! will keep the +4 for now then, any advise on the brakes? any common faults with these? the lever is spondgy and not far from touching the grip even on its best setting, possible master cylinder? i have bled but no better. cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts