Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

I'm kind of new to the ZX10 world...traded in my old soulmate - a K9 Gixxer 750 a month ago, with a hint of a tear in my eyes, for a black 2012 ZX10R ABS with very low mileage in mint condition.

Slapped on a set of Dunlop Sportsmart2's (another sure thing), and went for 2 days on track, one for myself, the other working as an advanced instructor. And we bonded immediately me and the beast.

With the tires scrubbed in properly, I went for another week at the Nürburgring, and after two nights, I blitzed my old personal best of 8:42 (BTG) with an 8:20 lap, and it definitely feels like a 7 minute lap is on the cards.

The bike is very stable in the (very) high speed corners on the ring - and it suits me perfectly. :) Not as quick on turn-in as the old gixxer, but I can live with that...and the engine...sweet, sweet lawd almighty. >:)

I *really* love this bike...

(pic is from the latest trip, taking the outside line in the small carousel just at the end of the Nordschleife lap, oil spill on the inside... :grin2: )

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Hi Guys!

I'm kind of new to the ZX10 world...traded in my old soulmate - a K9 Gixxer 750 a month ago, with a hint of a tear in my eyes, for a black 2012 ZX10R ABS with very low mileage in mint condition.

Slapped on a set of Dunlop Sportsmart2's (another sure thing), and went for 2 days on track, one for myself, the other working as an advanced instructor. And we bonded immediately me and the beast.

With the tires scrubbed in properly, I went for another week at the Nürburgring, and after two nights, I blitzed my old personal best of 8:42 (BTG) with an 8:20 lap, and it definitely feels like a 7 minute lap is on the cards.

The bike is very stable in the (very) high speed corners on the ring - and it suits me perfectly. :) Not as quick on turn-in as the old gixxer, but I can live with that...and the engine...sweet, sweet lawd almighty. >:)

(pic is from the latest trip, taking the outside line in the small carousel just at the end of the Nordschleife lap, oil spill on the inside... :grin2: )
Welcome to this site And to the ZX-10 life.

Sure don't have to tell anyone of your background, anything...
But...Turn in, flick-ability, is wildly change-able.

Again Welcome to this site..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Welcome to the site, and glad to see you rippin on it already :)

Reactions: Husabuse

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hi Guys!

That's a great image, lots of good info there. Note, anyone worried about scraping stuff down, how far the peg still is from the ground. The lean angle is approaching 50 degrees and plenty left. Knee is not even on the pavement.

Tires today have fantastic grip.

You will like the bike much better as a daily rider and streetbike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Again Welcome to this site..:thumbsup:
:grin2:

I was born back in '74...

IT techie (VMware, Cisco, Compellent and all things Microsoft), not too uch of a geek though, more the practical, hands on type.

Do lots of running / biking (both tarmac racer and mtb), and dabble a bit with crosscountry skiing and open water swimming (for the fellow scandinavians here, just finished "Klassikern", headed for another with Lidingöloppet as the first race).

2 cats, major cat fan.

Been riding road bikes since 2008, picked up enduro (proper enduro) racing around 2004, needed a license, got tired of washing dirty KTM's...and went on to become an advanced riding instructor for the Swedish Motorcycle Association (same-same as CSS more or less).

Gone through a VFR800, RSV1000, ZX636, Duc 1098, Gixxer 750 '09 and now the ZX....and the ZX is my favourite of them all.

That about covers it...

/J

·
Registered
837 Posts
:welcome:

which year 636 did you have? I'm thinking of an 05/06 as a second bike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:welcome:

which year 636 did you have? I'm thinking of an 05/06 as a second bike
05, bought it to use for my instructor days (had the 1098 at the same time)...bit cramped for me (6'2"), but other than that, a little hooligan of a bike.

The gixxer was better for me, bit of the same, but a bit more roomy.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

That said, every bike has a sweet spot where turn-in and stability are balanced. Got one word for how a bad design cannot be fixed...

Desmosedici

No matter what Ducati did they couldn't fix it.

New bike this year, they are in the game again.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
:grin2:

I was born back in '74...

IT techie (VMware, Cisco, Compellent and all things Microsoft), not too uch of a geek though, more the practical, hands on type.

Do lots of running / biking (both tarmac racer and mtb), and dabble a bit with crosscountry skiing and open water swimming (for the fellow scandinavians here, just finished "Klassikern", headed for another with Lidingöloppet as the first race).

2 cats, major cat fan.

Been riding road bikes since 2008, picked up enduro (proper enduro) racing around 2004, needed a license, got tired of washing dirty KTM's...and went on to become an advanced riding instructor for the Swedish Motorcycle Association (same-same as CSS more or less).

Gone through a VFR800, RSV1000, ZX636, Duc 1098, Gixxer 750 '09 and now the ZX....and the ZX is my favourite of them all.

That about covers it...

/J
We have some common ground :eek:ccasion1 I started sking when I was 5 years old (it was our family sport)... I was born in 1940, so been dirt and pavement, for 60 years.
I desert raced KTM 495, with trick suspension (stock wasn't good enough).

I mod my 05 ZX-10 for back road, tight twisty/rough pavement, narrow roads that don't have a center line....:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts