Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In April I will be taking a trip across the atlantic to New York City. We'll be staying in midtown but I have heard of a fantastic pizza place in Brooklyn-
Spumoni gardens- Sauce on top and made in squares. Looks and sounds amazing.

So is it feasible for me to get there via public transport? I've never been to the east coast so am really looking forward to it.

Also what are the must sees and dos that other tourists might not know about?
What about that park/garden built on train track?

Oh, nearly forgot, the girlfriend wants me to find somewhere for dinner and dancing (think ballroom not clubbing) suggestions?

I ask here because lets face it if you chose a zx10r you have taste

Reactions: bgmagma10

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I have never been to NYC but my little brother has been. Getting anywhere on public transit shouldn't be a problem. Between subway and train and walking a block or two. There are also a lot of cabs. My little brother is a big fan of food. He said little Italy was amazing. Don't leave without trying the cheescake.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
You want some good food, u need to come down south then. Nothing like food from the Cajun states

As far as NY goes, never been but wouldnt mind going to ground zero, would def be a humbling experience for me

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Try John's Pizza in the Village or Ray's Pizza all over the city; they are pretty good. One of my favorite pizza's is New Park Pizza in Howard Beach near JFK Airport. Di Fara's in Brooklyn is pretty good too. I have not been to Grimaldi in Brooklyn but the Grimaldi here is very good so I'm guessing the Brooklyn one is better. A trip to New York without a stop to one of those Pizzerias is a wasted trip for me... :)

P.S. I've never been to Spumoni Gardens, let me know how it was...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
you can get anywhere within 5 boroughs by public transportation. And the subway system is very well organized, plus its free entertainment with all the dancers/players/magicians that perform below ground.
i've never heard of that pizza place before, but I'm sure its good. depending when you are coming to NYC, i would try to go to the rockafeller center to ice skate (or bryant park if you want free), climb the empire state, walk through central park, see an on/off broadway show (and there are plenty of crazy and weird ones in the city). Statue of liberty is obverted, in my opinion. It is not that big and can be seen from the south manhattan - battery park.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
you can get anywhere within 5 boroughs by public transportation. And the subway system is very well organized, plus its free entertainment with all the dancers/players/magicians that perform below ground.
i've never heard of that pizza place before, but I'm sure its good. depending when you are coming to NYC, i would try to go to the rockafeller center to ice skate (or bryant park if you want free), climb the empire state, walk through central park, see an on/off broadway show (and there are plenty of crazy and weird ones in the city). Statue of liberty is obverted, in my opinion. It is not that big and can be seen from the south manhattan - battery park.
Those are great ideas man! Yeah I feel ya on the statue of liberty. Personally if one has never been I think it is a must see. But I will tell you it took me like 3 1/2 hours to go all the way up and back down the statue..

·
Registered
611 Posts
Also what are the must sees and dos that other tourists might not know about?
What about that park/garden built on train track?

Oh, nearly forgot, the girlfriend wants me to find somewhere for dinner and dancing (think ballroom not clubbing) suggestions?

I ask here because lets face it if you chose a zx10r you have taste
ive never heard of spumoni gardens, but you dont have to go too far for good pizza.
Grimaldis is good, as someone suggested.

How comfortable are you in poor areas? Weve got a lot of colombian, peruvian, dominican, and caribbean influences..
im a regular at fish eye in brooklyn. got my own seat:cool:
sea bistro, in williamsburg has some excellent thai food. avg plate is about 12. nice atmosphere. i take girls here, because it looks expensive.

i wouldnt eat at rays pizza or papaya king unless i was desperate for food (and food poisoning)

if you watch dave letterman, you can go online and apply to be in the crowd for the live taping. they generally select people from out of town, and out of country, so you've got a good shot at getting in to seee it.

public transport is an ease, even for someone who doesnt live here.

Roosevelt island tramway at the queensboro bridge takes u across the east river for some nice views and photo ops.

city island for some seafood. i dont eat seafood, but ive heard differing opinions for the quality and cost. its a nice area

i could write an essay on things to do/where to eat etc

·
Registered
268 Posts
Public transport will take you everywhere you need to go, spumonis is a great place and also
The garden train track is cool. You shouldn't have any trouble getting to those places as long as
You have a computer or smartphone handy

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
You can go see the naked cowboy and cowgirl. They are some street performers that have a following. They sing w/ guitar.

FAO Swartz is a place I have always wanted to see. Its just a giant toy store, but I have wanted to go there since I saw the movie BIG with Tom Hanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you don't mind sitting on a train for an hour+ for a pizza, sure go to Spumoni. I personally don't think that pizza is all that worth it. You can go to a 99 cent pizza shop(called 99Cent pizza) on 7th ave in the 50's. if you're in Williamsburg Brooklyn, you can either go to Fornato on Bedford for a small sitdown restaurant style setting.... or you can go to the Alligator Lounge on Metropolitan Ave also in Williamburg Briooklyn. You buy a beer and they give you a personal pan pizza. Around the corner and a few blocks on Union there's Barcad. It's a bar that doubles as an arcade full of old school games.

Try John's Pizza in the Village or Ray's Pizza all over the city; they are pretty good. One of my favorite pizza's is New Park Pizza in Howard Beach near JFK Airport. Di Fara's in Brooklyn is pretty good too. I have not been to Grimaldi in Brooklyn but the Grimaldi here is very good so I'm guessing the Brooklyn one is better. A trip to New York without a stop to one of those Pizzerias is a wasted trip for me... :)

P.S. I've never been to Spumoni Gardens, let me know how it was...
I used to hear people rave about New Park pizza. To be honest, I'm surprised that place is still open. I finally tried their pizza a few months ago and very greasy. It's not firm and the slices flop.

In regards to Rays, there are a few different owners and ways how they make it between the shops. So those places are hit or miss. the one on 2th and another on 6th are pretty good.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yeah, Statue of Liberty is pain to get to, too many tourists... If you decide to it, plan getting there early and spending some time in lines... I love to go to NYC on Labor Day weekend for Electric Zoo Carnival at Randall Park... Don't know if you that type of thing, but I love dance/trance music...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If you don't mind sitting on a train for an hour+ for a pizza, sure go to Spumoni. I personally don't think that pizza is all that worth it. You can go to a 99 cent pizza shop(called 99Cent pizza) on 7th ave in the 50's. if you're in Williamsburg Brooklyn, you can either go to Fornato on Bedford for a small sitdown restaurant style setting.... or you can go to the Alligator Lounge on Metropolitan Ave also in Williamburg Briooklyn. You buy a beer and they give you a personal pan pizza. Around the corner and a few blocks on Union there's Barcad. It's a bar that doubles as an arcade full of old school games.

I used to hear people rave about New Park pizza. To be honest, I'm surprised that place is still open. I finally tried their pizza a few months ago and very greasy. It's not firm and the slices flop.

In regards to Rays, there are a few different owners and ways how they make it between the shops. So those places are hit or miss. the one on 2th and another on 6th are pretty good.
I always get a fresh pie at New Park and it's always been good. Any good NY pizza is going to be greasy.

True about Rays, I've been to two of them and they were both pretty good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts