Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone,

Continuing the rebuild of my zx-10r after my crash has got me at a bit of a cross roads with the wire harness. When I crashed my bike, the sub-frame/seat assembly was ripped off and with it went the wiring. From what I can see, most of the wiring past the fuel tank is gone or ripped. Do I need to buy a new wire harness? Can I splice in just some new wiring to get things working again?

Any and all advice would be very helpful. Pics for reference of what is missing and what it currently looks like.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Wow. Well, if you can figure out where all the wires go, you could splice it. But you'll have multiple failure points in the wiring in the future. Brake light, tail light, turn signals, exhaust servo, fuse block, license light, some joint connectors, etc are all in the tailsection. I'd be getting a new harness myself.

·
Registered
153 Posts
IMO you're asking for trouble repairing that. Electrical gremlins are the worst, intermittent and often hard to diagnose and locate. It was not a clean cut to say the least, wires could be broken all over the place. I'd pay the modest $ a second hand one costs. They are listed for sale quite regularly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another member has offered to sell a harness from a 2011. Being a gen 4, it should fit right? Or do I need a harness specifically made for a 2013, which mine is.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Another member has offered to sell a harness from a 2011. Being a gen 4, it should fit right? Or do I need a harness specifically made for a 2013, which mine is.
I believe they are different due to the electronic damper that came out on the 2013. I'm sure that's integrated into the main harness so the ECU can talk to the SCU and control the ESD. So any harness from 2013-2015 should work. ABS vs non-ABS would be another difference to watch out for depending on what you have when looking at the harnesses for those years. All I can tell you is the main harness part numbers are vastly different between those years and the ABS models.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone confirm, an ABS harness for 2013 will or will not work on a non ABS 2013 model? I've found a great deal on an ABS harness, but unsure if they are cross-compatible. Mine is a non ABS model and have not found a non ABS harness

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Can anyone confirm, an ABS harness for 2013 will or will not work on a non ABS 2013 model? I've found a great deal on an ABS harness, but unsure if they are cross-compatible. Mine is a non ABS model and have not found a non ABS harness
There are differences. If they were identical, the part numbers would match and they don't. Whether or not it would work, I don't know. But they aren't the same. The ABS model has to interface to the module from the ECU and has additional lights for the ABS in the cluster. Not sure if you plugged it in to the non-ABS bike and it would just ignore those missing items or not even connect properly. :dontknow:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely makes sense. Thanks for the input. If I need more info, I'll be sure to post again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts