Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

221 - 238 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #221 (Edited)
I'll just leave this here.....

12psi on a 96 degree day.... a little wobbly with the boost control still, as it's ramping with mph (that's about 150-something in third)... but good enough to go to bonneville and play without the fairing on. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Uhg... regretting the stock head & cams though right now... party is pretty much over at 12k.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
is that the lightley ported head with the cnc valve job? stk valve springs?
Yessir. It's a touch too rich up top for the fuel I'm using (and it was heat soaked/hot as hell in the garage!), so that's not really helping either. I should have taken the time to do cams/degreeing, but I was just flat out of time & resources. But, that's only 12 psi.... that turbo can huff about 15 in there before I start to get nervous.... so there's that.

Not stock valve springs though... they are the APE offerings with stainless exhaust valves and the Ti retainers.

·
Registered
294 Posts
look elsewhere not the head with the valve seal and springs u have causing power drop at 12k. not even stk cams that are in time imo. that said what's wrong with making hp/torque like that at lower rpm. pretty good initial powercurve, that would work for me, and sprockets are cheap.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Hahah... you're right.... though it's a little hidden in that graph as boost is rising up just before that 10K mark after the controller gets a hold of it. While I'm sure more appropriate cams and/or cam timing would let it carry a bit better, the real culprit is likely (stupid) high charge heat and the turbo getting real close to it's practical limit... especially with an internal gate.

It's just a knee jerk reaction to blame the things I couldn't get to, I guess. :) But that torque from 8K up feels pretty good, no lie. If this thing had drag gearing it would be terrifying without a lot more wheelbase and a good shock.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Uhg... regretting the stock head & cams though right now... party is pretty much over at 12k.
You do realize that 99.99% of zx10r owners will never even get in the door for that kind a party in their lifetime no matter how many times their ecu will get flashed:crackup: That's a great power curve all under 12k.

·
Registered
790 Posts
12psi on a 96 degree day.... a little wobbly with the boost control still, as it's ramping with mph (that's about 150-something in third)... but good enough to go to bonneville and play without the fairing on. :)
I really wish I could have been there for these runs. Trying to balance out life responsibilities, obligations and recreation.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
...heres an idea of the difference a little bit of intake temperature makes: same boost, just 10 to 20 degrees lower iat when starting the run.

The water injection was waaay too aggressive at about 12k and caused it to break up... threw a nitrous solenoid in the line and set the way up to pulse the flow down by about 50% after that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
First event got mostly rained out... they only did 3 days of racing on a really, really bad course. I didn't run the 10R at all... we just ran the Harleys. We did clock the fastest bike at the meet with a 198 and change on the APS bike, though... so there is that. :)

Next week I'll run the 10R without the fairing so long as we have a track that doesn't resemble wet snow at the 2 and the 3 mile. :(

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #233 (Edited)
...record qualifying pass and the backup run... barely squeeked in over the record. Salt was wet and loose... the second video sums it up perfectly. :) Wanted a lot more mph than I got, but that's all she would suffer that day. Not for a lack of trying though... the rear tire was turning at about 210 mph for the last 7000' of the return run. Fuuuuuuuhhhhglyyy.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #234 (Edited)
Got to go play in the dirt this month out at El Mirage.... last minute chaos prevented us from taking the Harley's, so I went out to Cali to spectate and pull some club duties... I honestly didn't plan on running the 10R at all. But the Boss said go out and knock down a record if I was going to go at all, so i just threw it on the trailer and away we went.

Track itself was decent, but I left in some fairly high wind. I've never run a full fairing bike off the pavement in crosswinds that high before (over 10mph, probably in the 15mph range at times), and it was skkeeeeeetchy to say the least.. the bike was leaning more and more to the right the faster it went, but slowly drifting left on the track. Looking at the data, I felt like I made a terrible mess of it... shift points and throttle where everywhere, and it never saw over 89% throttle. I took most of the boost out: 7psi (gate) up to 140mph, ramping up to 9.5 psi @ 210mph. It had a bit of boost creep doing that, overshooting most places by a pound or two. Even with all that, it put up the best mph to date:

...put 18mph on the old record, and got me into the Dirty Two club. I was, and still am, super thrilled to accomplish that, especially on a bike that has headlights, stock tank, stock fairing, and a license plate with current registration. I think I made about a 2-4% error somewhere in my gear-to-mph math, so I may take a couple teeth off the rear sprocket when I get a chance.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,890 Posts
Dang! That's pretty quick on 2-wheels no matter which way you look at it! Congrats on that! Super cool!

Reactions: SpazOnaZX

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Reppin' the second Gen! Dean was out there on his nekkid Gen 2/3 (with gen 1 parts) and set some records too... over 180 I believe, NA with no fairing.... that guy is a machine. :)

221 - 238 of 238 Posts