Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Have a 2005 Red ZX10 on lay away for next season.. Been riding for a while, mostly dirt, street too but nothing as big and fast as this monster.

I've heard and read many great things about these bikes, and just recently one bad. Is it true that there is quite a bit of shaking at over 150mph in stock form..?

If so, what do I need to purchase to eliminate this..?

And if anyone would like to share their mods and what kind of power gains they got from them, HP or TQ gains, losses, I would really appreciate it. Do plan on modding a bit after break in. Don't know too much about bike modding though, been more of car modder so far, but it can't be too much different...

Thanks for any replies peeps...

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
:welcome: to the group

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Spacecoast, looks like you got a mighty fine looking bike there...

You liking everything about it, or disliking..? Share your knowledge...

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I love it. The color turns heads. I haven't done any performance mods to increase the horsepower. I've just added a steering damper and frame sliders. Other than that she's pretty much stock. Here's a pic of her before the mods. Haven't had much time in the daylight to take current pics.

·
Registered
174 Posts
GRKZX10R, welcome to the board!

Spacecoast 10R, we're neighbors. :cool: I'm just up the road from you in Melbourne.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
GRKZX10R said:
Thanks Spacecoast, looks like you got a mighty fine looking bike there...

You liking everything about it, or disliking..? Share your knowledge...
The only dislike I have is the IDIOTS cutting me off. I'vehad it since May and I've been cut off 4 times so far. What F___ing morons live in this area. I'll stop ranting pluis I need to get back to work. Enjoy your new purchase as I have been and ride safe.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
whats up man!! shaking, a tad, nothing major, its more noticable pulling wheelies and full throttle etc. most change the tires especially the fronts, either metzler or pilots and thats done wonders and then a steering damper. after that, its all good to go!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GPZ, George, thank you...

Space, she's a beaut, makes me jealous, can't wait to have it.

Rich, thanks man, appreciate the advise. I'll be doing the damper immediately.

So I hear a full system robs TQ for HP, is this true..?

Not really worth it in my opinion, I'll just be doing a slip on. Much cheaper anyway....

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
best way to eliminate the head shake is a damper; however, properly setting the preload (sag) front and rear will help out tremendously. Then you may want to fiddle the adjusters some and find what works best for you. Most head shake can be tuned out. Then there is the Dunlop front tire that causes a weaving on decel that you should be aware of. So by the time you use up the stock tires you will have the bike dialed in, suspension setup and damper setup...the bike will treat you perfect.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks BN, advise taken...

Do all dampers do pretty much the same job, or should I go for a specific brand..?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
BNninja said:
best way to eliminate the head shake is a damper; however, properly setting the preload (sag) front and rear will help out tremendously. Then you may want to fiddle the adjusters some and find what works best for you. Most head shake can be tuned out. Then there is the Dunlop front tire that causes a weaving on decel that you should be aware of. So by the time you use up the stock tires you will have the bike dialed in, suspension setup and damper setup...the bike will treat you perfect.
and after your done with this and some 1.5k you'll want to adjust/tighten the steering head bearings after they've seated.

:welcome:

BD

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, I gots a lot to learn, and I thought cars were complex...

Very helpful info gents, anything else anyone would like to share, please do.

·
Registered
569 Posts
GRKZX10R said:
So I hear a full system robs TQ for HP, is this true..?

Not really worth it in my opinion, I'll just be doing a slip on. Much cheaper anyway....
Not true in my experience. I've had both a slip on (technically a bolt-on) and now a full system. Much more power with the full system, so if it's power you are after, skip the slip on.

Mods I would recommend, in MY order of preference:
1. Steering Damper. Many good brands, and all seem to work great. Haven't heard of any complaints from other members. Boils down to personal preference.
2. Frame Sliders. Forum member Champ91 makes some very good inexpensive ones.
3. Power Commander. Even with a stock exhaust, this will help smooth out the throttle response and make it more enjoyable to ride.
4. -1 CS sprocket. The stock gearing is a bit too high for most. This mod is easy & inexpensive to do with stock chain. It's a good place to start to see if you want to make other gearing changes down the road. Makes the bike even smoother and allows for more appropriate gear selection when riding. Again, makes everyday riding more enjoyable.
5. Euro Signals. Much nicer looking (IMO) front turn signals.
6. Fender Eliminator. Just get the one you like the best.
7. Full Exhaust. +10-14HP average. Need I say more! Be sure to get a custom map for the Power Commander for the best riding experience. Akrapovic & Arata seem to be the most popular.
8. Speedo Healer. I hate inaccurate speedos.
9. Gear Indicator. LOVE knowing what gear I'm in.
10. Screen. Maybe a double bubble in light smoke, if that's your sort of thing! :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very helpful Xusia, thank you...

Does eBay have gear indicators and speedo healers..? And how hard is the install on those..?

Never even heard of some of this stuff you guys due to your bikes. Can't wait to experience them. The gear indicator especially is new to me and does sound like a must have.

Prices on full exhausts are just ridiculous. What is so different with them from car systems.? They're half the size in piping but sometimes more then twice the price...... :dontknow:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts