Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm picking up a friend's ZX10R race bike in about 3 weeks and because I am new to Kawasaki I have a few questions to get me started setting it up for me. It's a '16 with quite a few mods and I'd like to get some feedback on the direction to take it to prepare for the 2021 race season. I don't know all the details yet but here are some questions to get me going, thanks in advance!

1. Regarding geometry: As far as I know the bike has had the shock shimmed by 10mm but no other geometry changes. There was a post here giving numbers after a geometry measurement on a stock bike with MotoAmerica spec dunlops, the rake/trail was 25.3/115.5 - I assume this is approximately the starting point for most stock bikes. I understand that there is a good amount of variance rider to rider, but what are typically some target values for a ZX10R race bike? I would guess more like 105mm of trail would be more ideal, 115 seems lazy, but again I do not know these bikes at all. Are you guys typically using the steering angle adjusters at 23* or 23.5* positions? Offset I've read is 25mm stock, are you guys increasing this with the +4mm collars to 29mm? I've been looking around and haven't seen a lot about using these race kit parts. Not even sure if you can use the rake adjuster and offset collars together or if it's one or the other. With things like dropping the front, raising rear, and any other changes, does swingarm angle start becoming an issue and if so how far are you typically shifting the pivot? One of the racers in my series is known as "the" Kawi guy and puts out very fast times and also sets up other bikes that are around, he claims he can get the setup pretty spot on so I am assuming there are a few common changes to get these bikes in the right ballpark. Just looking for some details here so I can have some knowledge before talking details with him.

2. Regarding electronics: The bike has a Woolich set up but don't know anything more than that at this point. The same Kawi guy mentioned above says I really need to get a race ECU/harness to get it dialed. What does this afford that the Woolich does not? I assume there are certain parameters that are only adjustable with the race ECU but what are these and is it worth the cost of swapping if the bike already has the Woolich?

3. The bike has a TTX and GP fork cartridges which I understand is basically the old Ohlins 25 kit with different pistons and valving. I was told the stroke increases by 10mm and then someone said it's actually closer to 7mm, so two questions - which is it, and do you compensate geometry (assuming you want to keep that the same) by pushing the forks up through the triples by that amount? Not sure what the topout springs are like and if this has to be worked into it. On the topic of suspension, I am 178 lbs. in street clothes, what are similar guys typically running for spring rates? Not sure what the bike has now.

4. The bike has 3,500 miles, which has been track miles for the last 2 seasons. I am reading that these motors are solid but wonder at what point these are usually rebuilt. I will dyno when I get it and if the numbers are looking good I might assume it could make it through the whole season, is this reasonable given the mileage/usage? Anything to look out for in particular?

Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Item 1, talk to the Kawi guy, with 10mm of shim in the rear, ride it and figure out what you don't like.
Item 2, TC settings I don't think are available in GEn 5 Woolich, I'm not sure I have a Gen 4 with Gen5 swingarm, nitron front cartridges with 10mm extension, Ohlins shock, I am working to decrease trail not increase it, as I get faster I will start raising the front to get more trail. (slow advance)
Item 3 set the front to 515mm and ride it or follow the local Kawi guy suggestion. Mine is at 515mm on a gen 4 with 10mm extended. In my experience the rear shim is almost a shim and forget it, the front is where the fine tuning to what I like is occuring.
Item 4, I would ride it unless I had a reason to believe it had problems.

From my experience ride the bike like it is and determine what you like and don't like. I think 8mm shim in the rear and stock front height is a good start.

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Of course I will be riding it as is to figure out what changes I think I'll benefit from in terms of the chassis. But like most bikes, I assume there is a certain direction to go in terms of chassis setup. For example, my current race bike is a Daytona 675. Those come stock with very low trail (around 87mm) and the typical setup for that bike is to do the opposite that you'd do on a lot of other bikes. That is to raise the front/lower the rear to get more trail. Most fast guys are running aftermarket triples to decrease the offset from 38mm to 28mm. I have been running a set of triples off another bike which decreased the offset to 32mm (so about halfway to the offset that the pro guys are running). I ride the front high and had to go up on the swingarm pivot to get the bike to finish the corner. I was hoping to get some similar setup ideas for the ZX10R that seem to be common for racing this chassis. The stock bike seems to have the opposite problem to the 675, where there may be an overabundance of trail and so dropping front/raising rear seems to be the logical way to go. Just looking for other's setup experience with the bike.

·
Registered
18 zx10r
474 Posts
I've read it all the way through several times, but thanks!
Its difficulty to get racers to spill the beans on their setups. Eric Wood (Woodcraft) might be able to give you some useful. I'd send him an email.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts