Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Intro:

Recently picked up a 2008 zx10r. Pretty jank drag setup originally, but I got it for 4500 so it's alot of bike for that little.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Cleaning up the jank wiring, mirrors, signals. Added a Gripone Iside 2 because I'm coming from an 06' EX-500 and while the extension blocks do a great job of making wrist turns pretty idiot proof, I didn't want to get cocky.

Problem:

Now that I've finally got the extension blocks off and got the suspension back to stock... I'm still disappointed in how much work it takes to turn in! I'm getting closer to what I want though, I can almost taste the bike this is supposed to be!
From what I've read here so far:
  • Gen 3 has wonky geometry
  • Front is too stiff
    • at ~190-210lbs, the front is fine for me (I do need to replace the seals though)
  • Rear is too soft
    • Definitely. But I don't have Ohlins TTX money. I'd get a spring, but if I'm in that deep in elbow grease, it better be for a new shock lol.
Things I'm considering:
  • Lowering the front forks
    • It's flush at the moment. I'm sure there's room for improvement there.
  • More preload
    • Took out some preload when I removed the extension. But that was before I realized the stock spring was already wrong for me
  • Finding shorter links
    • It had lowering links on it already. I put it back to the shortest distance. Better, not enough.

Thoughts?

· Registered
ZX10R 08 Orange
80 Posts
Hey all!

Intro:

Recently picked up a 2008 zx10r. Pretty jank drag setup originally, but I got it for 4500 so it's alot of bike for that little.
View attachment 451303 View attachment 451302

Cleaning up the jank wiring, mirrors, signals. Added a Gripone Iside 2 because I'm coming from an 06' EX-500 and while the extension blocks do a great job of making wrist turns pretty idiot proof, I didn't want to get cocky.

Problem:

Now that I've finally got the extension blocks off and got the suspension back to stock... I'm still disappointed in how much work it takes to turn in! I'm getting closer to what I want though, I can almost taste the bike this is supposed to be!
From what I've read here so far:
  • Gen 3 has wonky geometry
  • Front is too stiff
    • at ~190-210lbs, the front is fine for me (I do need to replace the seals though)
  • Rear is too soft
    • Definitely. But I don't have Ohlins TTX money. I'd get a spring, but if I'm in that deep in elbow grease, it better be for a new shock lol.
Things I'm considering:
  • Lowering the front forks
    • It's flush at the moment. I'm sure there's room for improvement there.
  • More preload
    • Took out some preload when I removed the extension. But that was before I realized the stock spring was already wrong for me
  • Finding shorter links
    • It had lowering links on it already. I put it back to the shortest distance. Better, not enough.

Thoughts?
You don't need shorter "dog bones", enough if you put some shims to shock's top mount. 5-8 mm works well.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You don't need shorter "dog bones", enough if you put some shims to shock's top mount.
Yeah I was just looking into this.

I think I'll go this route. Cheaper.

· Registered
ZX10R 08 Orange
80 Posts
Yeah I was just looking into this. I think I'll go this route. Cheaper.
I'm approxx 200 lbs, with the original front fork's I can 30mm sag with preload adjuster maximum out. On the rear shock I changed spring to 110N Öhlins. Now I'm seeking the proper damping setting, because the bike is still not turning very well.

· Registered
Gen 4 zx10R - bst wheels. Brembo m/c. SC project. ACC billet. Bitubo suspension. Hyperpro s/damper.
193 Posts
Welcome.

What state are the tires in?

Also, have you checked the pressures?

Id imagine that a bike which was setup for drag/roll racing would have squared off tires. You'll be surprised at how much a square tire can make initial turn in feel very poo and disconcerting.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome.

What state are the tires in?

Also, have you checked the pressures?

Id imagine that a bike which was setup for drag/roll racing would have squared off tires. You'll be surprised at how much a square tire can make initial turn in feel very poo and disconcerting.
The tires were actually mostly new. Still had the nips in alot of places.

I've checked the pressures. The front is low.

· Registered
Gen3
455 Posts
in short - front tyre pressure, then tyre model

front tyre pressure looks too low, and from one of the pics it looks like the front tyre is collapsing under the weight of the bike - try 32 front

stock shock mount has a 10mm shim already, the TTX will instruct to remove this and switch to a 6mm shim stack.

for me, I dropped the front (about 3mm fork tube showing) and it improved a bit, or maybe not at all.
but, the greatest change came from switching from Roadtec01 to Michelin Power GP.

most review said the Roadtec01 has neutral handling, but I felt otherwise. When slow, it wants to turn more than I ask for that kinda make the bike want to fall; whereas at speed, it takes effort to steer.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
in short - front tyre pressure, then tyre model
front tyre pressure looks too low, and from one of the pics it looks like the front tyre is collapsing under the weight of the bike - try 32 front
Yeah it's low, I can push it with my hand with enough force. I'm gonna air up... after this hurricane passes lol.

I believe they are Michelin Pilot Power's but I'd have to double check. Not an amazing tire but I doubt the that tire is causing what I'm feeling.

I dropped the front 8mm and initial turn in is.... better??? Overall it feels pretty iffy. I was explaining to a friend, loading the front suspension on turn in is when I have the most rake. But because that rear shock is mush, all that rake disappears once the front settles and then it's back to pushing.

Shimming the rear will probably be my best choice interim. Will have to take the front back up after that though, I can feel that would have an exponential effect with adding more rake.

· Registered
Gen 4 zx10R - bst wheels. Brembo m/c. SC project. ACC billet. Bitubo suspension. Hyperpro s/damper.
193 Posts
The michelin pilot power is actually a very competent tire, albeit older in product and design.

Remember, it's the air that carries the weight, not the tire.

· Registered
55 Posts
We raced a gen 3 ZX10 back in the day. To fix the geometry, drop the front 10mm, raise the rear 10mm at the shock by fitting a spacer under the top mount nut. The changes are pretty drastic, but they still leave you with 100mm of trail and the bike will steer very well once you get the spring rates right for your weight.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I stand corrected!

Stopped to filled up on gas, checked the tire... LOL
12psi front. 18psi rear.
Bumped them up to 30psi. Night and day difference. My 8mm of fork is almost too much now!

We raced a gen 3 ZX10 back in the day. To fix the geometry, drop the front 10mm, raise the rear 10mm at the shock by fitting a spacer under the top mount nut. The changes are pretty drastic, but they still leave you with 100mm of trail and the bike will steer very well once you get the spring rates right for your weight.
So I sourced a gen 1 busa shock. From what I've read here it's a direct swap. Stats have it's spring rate at perfect for me. 8mm shorter. 40$. It's a start lol.

Between that, the tires and the front forks I should be good to go!

Thanks all!

· Registered
Gen3
455 Posts
I have a Gen3, and the way you describe your problem on an almost stock setup, is not likely.
Glad you have it sorted.

Yes, Busa shock is direct swap, if the piggyback reservoir does not get in the way.

· Registered
193 Posts
Hang on a sec...... What are those bulbous contraptions between the mirrors and the screen?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update:

The front fork left fork was leaking pretty badly since I got it. Upon getting new tires (Dunlop roadsmart 3's), got the forks sorted. Being misled by how little fork oil was in the busted one, we were surprised and drenched in oil when taking apart good one lol.

Having it all back together, the bike finally feels great!

My problem is I learned to ride a poorly setup bike. So now I feel out of place no matter was what body position I take in turns. I'm about 5'11" with long arms... Sitting up on the tank and rotating around that doesn't feel as good as it did before. Sitting back in the saddle with one cheek off doesn't feel as effective either. Perhaps it's just a confidence thing now that the bike is more capable at the angles I was used to before, and I'm not prepared to really get any lower than that.

· Registered
Gen3
455 Posts
Update:

The front fork left fork was leaking pretty badly since I got it. Upon getting new tires (Dunlop roadsmart 3's), got the forks sorted. Being misled by how little fork oil was in the busted one, we were surprised and drenched in oil when taking apart good one lol.

Having it all back together, the bike finally feels great!

My problem is I learned to ride a poorly setup bike. So now I feel out of place no matter was what body position I take in turns. I'm about 5'11" with long arms... Sitting up on the tank and rotating around that doesn't feel as good as it did before. Sitting back in the saddle with one cheek off doesn't feel as effective either. Perhaps it's just a confidence thing now that the bike is more capable at the angles I was used to before, and I'm not prepared to really get any lower than that.
the new tires can feel different, too

1 - 18 of 18 Posts