Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just bought a new to me 2005 ZX10R about 2 hours ago, brought it home and the fuel pump is not priming and therefore, not starting. I met the previous owner in a nearby parking lot where he rode to, so I saw it running. While we were there, I started the bike 3 times. One time to see it start, one for test ride, and then one to load it into the back of my truck. The owner told me that the only way it starts is if it is on its kickstand, in neutral with the bars turned all the way left, which is how it was started those times. Upon coming home, I unloaded it from the truck and attempted to start it and found the fuel pump was not priming and therefore would not start. I did the same thing in the parking lot. The engine turns over when the start button is pushed, but I have turned the key on and off 50 times along with the "run" button on-off. I have started disassembling it, messing with the ignition wires, wires under the seat, fuses, nothing. I did notice that when I attempt to start it, as the motor is turning over the FI light is flashing. When the ignition is on there is no FI light. I also noticed a power commander under the rear seat but no lights illuminate when the ignition is on, but I am unsure it is supposed to or not. I am so baffled by this because I literally started the bike 30 minutes prior to getting it home. It never fell during transport nor did I think I hit any major bumps. If anyone has had any similar problems I seriously need some help! Please!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Hi everyone, I just bought a new to me 2005 ZX10R about 2 hours ago, brought it home and the fuel pump is not priming and therefore, not starting. I met the previous owner in a nearby parking lot where he rode to, so I saw it running. While we were there, I started the bike 3 times. One time to see it start, one for test ride, and then one to load it into the back of my truck. The owner told me that the only way it starts is if it is on its kickstand, in neutral with the bars turned all the way left, which is how it was started those times. Upon coming home, I unloaded it from the truck and attempted to start it and found the fuel pump was not priming and therefore would not start. I did the same thing in the parking lot. The engine turns over when the start button is pushed, but I have turned the key on and off 50 times along with the "run" button on-off. I have started disassembling it, messing with the ignition wires, wires under the seat, fuses, nothing. I did notice that when I attempt to start it, as the motor is turning over the FI light is flashing. When the ignition is on there is no FI light. I also noticed a power commander under the rear seat but no lights illuminate when the ignition is on, but I am unsure it is supposed to or not. I am so baffled by this because I literally started the bike 30 minutes prior to getting it home. It never fell during transport nor did I think I hit any major bumps. If anyone has had any similar problems I seriously need some help! Please!
The item above is your first clue. The tip-over sensor was tripped and that's causing your issue. The fuel pump won't run if that's active.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The item above is your first clue. The tip-over sensor was tripped and that's causing your issue. The fuel pump won't run if that's active.
Thank you so much for your help. Is this the only reason it would cause this FI light while starting? And is there any way to check this sensor without buying a new one? I found the sensor and unhooked it and messed around with it to no avail. Thank you so much for your help!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Thank you so much for your help. Is this the only reason it would cause this FI light while starting? And is there any way to check this sensor without buying a new one? I found the sensor and unhooked it and messed around with it to no avail. Thank you so much for your help!
The FI warning light doubles as an oil pressure light if the 'FI' indication isn't on with it. The tip-over sensor being tripped will cause the light to flash while the button is pressed and is the only way that happens that I'm aware of. Otherwise, the light will be on constantly if the error is present. It will flash rapidly though while the starter button is pressed. You can't just unhook it, that opens the circuit. You have to bypass it by jumping straight across the connection for it. And the switch is orientated 1 way only. There's an up arrow stamped on it. That needs to go straight up. But bypassing it will tell you if that is it.

Until I saw that, it sounded like a sidestand safety switch issue. That won't flash the light though and won't even let the starter engage. So it indicates a tip-over sensor activation/malfunction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The FI warning light doubles as an oil pressure light if the 'FI' indication isn't on with it. The tip-over sensor being tripped will cause the light to flash while the button is pressed and is the only way that happens that I'm aware of. Otherwise, the light will be on constantly if the error is present. It will flash rapidly though while the starter button is pressed. You can't just unhook it, that opens the circuit. You have to bypass it by jumping straight across the connection for it. And the switch is orientated 1 way only. There's an up arrow stamped on it. That needs to go straight up. But bypassing it will tell you if that is it.

Until I saw that, it sounded like a sidestand safety switch issue. That won't flash the light though and won't even let the starter engage. So it indicates a tip-over sensor activation/malfunction.
I just tried bypassing the tip over sensor and the side stand sensor, with the same results (no fuel pump prime and flashing FI light on start. Each time I unplugged them the FI light was constant until I plugged them back in. I took off the power commander and also tried to find any busted wiring, with nothing. I hooked up the fuel pump directly and it runs. I saw a YouTube video where it looked to be the same issue and the ignition was changed out and fixed the problem. I just don’t know where else to go unless it’s an ecu issue. Thank you so much for your help on this, I am just getting frustrated.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
I just tried bypassing the tip over sensor and the side stand sensor, with the same results (no fuel pump prime and flashing FI light on start. Each time I unplugged them the FI light was constant until I plugged them back in. I took off the power commander and also tried to find any busted wiring, with nothing. I hooked up the fuel pump directly and it runs. I saw a YouTube video where it looked to be the same issue and the ignition was changed out and fixed the problem. I just don’t know where else to go unless it’s an ecu issue. Thank you so much for your help on this, I am just getting frustrated.
I bet. Doesn't sound like anything major. I'm surprised that tip-over sensor bypass didn't fix it. That would lead me to think that there's an open contact in that part of the harness. I'd be doing a point-to-point check on the harness from the tip-over sensor back to the ECU. I wouldn't worry about the ECU at this stage. That wouldn't just fail randomly like that. But the ignition switch wiring, relay box, fuses, would be something else to look at. The fuel pump is triggered by the ECU through a relay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bet. Doesn't sound like anything major. I'm surprised that tip-over sensor bypass didn't fix it. That would lead me to think that there's an open contact in that part of the harness. I'd be doing a point-to-point check on the harness from the tip-over sensor back to the ECU. I wouldn't worry about the ECU at this stage. That wouldn't just fail randomly like that. But the ignition switch wiring, relay box, fuses, would be something else to look at. The fuel pump is triggered by the ECU through a relay.
I will start doing a point by point check of everything. I also found a separate wire with in line fuse coming from the ignition switch wiring to a ground screw near the neck. It has a quick disconnect on it which was disconnected, but when I plugged it in it would blow whatever fuse I had in there. It doesn’t look stock at all so it leads me to believe something was weird. And the previous owner also telling me that the only way it would start is that the handlebars had to be turned all the way left. Thank you!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
I will start doing a point by point check of everything. I also found a separate wire with in line fuse coming from the ignition switch wiring to a ground screw near the neck. It has a quick disconnect on it which was disconnected, but when I plugged it in it would blow whatever fuse I had in there. It doesn’t look stock at all so it leads me to believe something was weird. And the previous owner also telling me that the only way it would start is that the handlebars had to be turned all the way left. Thank you!
The fact the the bars have to be fully left makes me think that the connection is made when the wiring harness moves around slightly. The ignition switch and starter button wiring all route through the frame in that area. The kill switch wiring does as well. Might need to look in that area and the connector to be sure nothing is loose or intermittent. Not sure what the extra wire is for, but likely someone tried to rig up an accessory wire for their cellphone or GPS unit. That's not something that would be stock on it as all the ignition wiring goes back through a molex connector. Have to trace that back the hard way to figure that one out. Especially with it popping fuses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts