Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

I just picked up a 04 zx10r with 4600 miles... there's some oil on the forks, and I saw little oil by the headgasket.. I gotta feeling the previous pulled alot of wheelies by bouncing it up...oh well, i hear it's a bad ass bike...

:hello: so ill be visiting here and I hope you guys have some room...

ps. I had a 01 r1, 03 gsxr1000 and now this puppy...

My name is Eyup and im 31 from North Jersey...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
thats a beast of a bike, real leary! Make sure that your forks are rebuilt if you see oils leaking, if its stopped leaking that means theres no oil, so just to be safe, rebuild the front forks for sure. Also check for a headgasket leak. 4600 is mint!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats a beast of a bike, real leary! Make sure that your forks are rebuilt if you see oils leaking, if its stopped leaking that means theres no oil, so just to be safe, rebuild the front forks for sure. Also check for a headgasket leak. 4600 is mint!

so your saying rebuildem vs seal replacement? how do I know if there's a headgasket leak? I see some oil by it but it may have diffused over time...

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
474 Posts
:welcome:
Take some carb cleaner or engine degreaser to clean off the oil on the engine.You can even pressure wash it if you are careful.After your engine is spotless clean go ride your bike.Paying close attention to the area you cleaned the oil off,looking for the first sign of a leak.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
good point about the seal, but i would replace the oil just for safety's sake (thats just me). As for the headers, if it keeps leaking then theres a slight problem obviously, but if its not leaking anymore after you clean it up, no worries there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
welcome dude, the forks will alway's look a little wet cuz the material is kind of spongey on the tubes. So they alway's look a little weird. The 04' 05" rule.... Laterz

·
Beginner w/29k miles :o)
3,008 Posts
:welcome::hello::welcome:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts