Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im almost finished installing my 520 conversion. in the process i swapped out for 16/40 tooth sprockets. before putting the cover plate back on i fired the bike up for a test, dropped it into first gear (on the stands) and began hearing some complications. it sounded like the sprockets are offset or something because as the rpm's increase the chain rattle gets stronger and the vibration increases. im thinking that the rear tire may not be positioned evenly? im not sure whats going on.

also, how do you guys typically measure your rear axle? i count the threads on the bolts.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
You dont have any load on the wheel when you do that , the chain will flutter like a whores knickers.

Use the lines on the adjuster , they are pretty damn close.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Once you have got good alignment and you are riding the bike properly, if the chain is still dancing then check the rear sprocket to see if it is concentric, I have seen really bad aluminium sprockets that are so out of round the bike will lurch forward with every revolution of the wheel.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...flutter like a whore kickers...
thats funny shit

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Not sure what sprockets you bought but some aftermarket front sprockets are made to go on one specific side for the front so call the maker and ask if your not sure. Here is what I use these days it's fast and very accurate:

http://www.e-securedsite.com/RHINOMOTO/store/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=7|Tools&productID=24&showDetail=1&categoryID=7|Tools&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=

:thumbsup:
I've been looking for one of those. :eek:ccasion1 I'm tired of relying on those lines, the chances of them being accurate have to be pretty slim.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Is the chain new? It seems that you have an stretched chain. Since the rear wheel is free the sprockets shouldnt have anything to do with bouncing.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Is the chain new? It seems that you have an stretched chain. Since the rear wheel is free the sprockets shouldnt have anything to do with bouncing.
I just assumed he replaced all of them since he said it was a 520conversion....plus he is in the Air Force and we Fly boys are schmart enough to know to replace all sprockets and chains. :lol::helmet:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You dont have any load on the wheel when you do that , the chain will flutter like a whores knickers.
:lol::lol::lol: Thanks that made my evening:lol::lol::lol:
________
REPLAYS STARCRAFT

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I just assumed he replaced all of them since he said it was a 520conversion....plus he is in the Air Force and we Fly boys are schmart enough to know to replace all sprockets and chains. :lol::helmet:
oh yea you's some schmart sumaguns alright :screwy:

BD

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:thumbsup::+1:
i may def invest in one of those tool. pretty pricey but i was thinking the same thing about those lines being accurate. since i put the front tire on the ground its gone away. thanks guys. ill take it out for a spin when the sun comes back around.:eek:ccasion1

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
:thumbsup::+1:
i may def invest in one of those tool. pretty pricey but i was thinking the same thing about those lines being accurate. since i put the front tire on the ground its gone away. thanks guys. ill take it out for a spin when the sun comes back around.:eek:ccasion1
thanks for proving me right...sorry BD it's an Air Force thing you wouldn't understand :heyyou::lol::thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Chain adjuster

That tool looks nice, but to me looks like a lot of extra work. I use a caliper and measure the inner distance from the front of the swingarm to the chain adjuster block on both sides.... Very accurate and have never had any drive issues with chain or sprockets. 20$ for a digital caliper at most tool stores!

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
That tool looks nice, but to me looks like a lot of extra work. I use a caliper and measure the inner distance from the front of the swingarm to the chain adjuster block on both sides.... Very accurate and have never had any drive issues with chain or sprockets.
indeed my method as well :thumbsup:

BD

1 - 20 of 22 Posts