Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted to bring up a quick question.

I'm currently 19 years old and have been thinking about buying a bike for a few months now. I'm a new guy here on the forums, so I'm not sure if this is strictly for ZX10R's, but here we go. I've really become interested in buying a 2014 ZX10R. I'm no stranger to driving high performance cars, but I'm sure bikes are a whole other world. I've seen so many people say thing like "If you buy a literbike, you'll die". I like to think of this as a load of shit. Any thing in moderation can't be that bad, right?

What do you veterans think about this? Feel free to bash me or give me some tips, anything will help.

Thanks,

·
Administrator
6,721 Posts
If you buy a literbike, you'll die!

Reactions: Turbodc2

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
Riding a liter bike is NOTHING like driving a car. You will drop it. It's inevitable. I'd recommend a perfectly good 600cc bike (used) to stay on and get used to it. Cheap so when you drop it it won't break the bank. And get some insurance quotes on it. At your age and that bike, the insurance payment is probably going to be twice the cost of a bike payment.

Oh, and if you buy a liter bike you're gonna die.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If I had purchased a modern liter bike at 19 I would probably not be writing on a forum today. I like SD's recommendation, get a used 600 and learn to ride then move to a liter if you really think you want one. You may find the 600 to be just what you want or you may find that some other type of bike is better suited to your riding style, like an adventure bike or a super-moto. Whatever direction you go, take a couple of riding classes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A. Dont buy new

B. Dont buy a liter

C. Try and swing a dirt cheap non supersport bike, get your msf course taken, license.
Ride that used bike for 6+ months or so and then when you feel comfortable go get you a supersport bike.
Great sport bikes to look for:
Ninja 636
Yamah FZ6R
KTM 390
Suzuki GSX650F

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

I'm currently 19 years old and have been thinking about buying a bike for a few months now. I'm a new guy here on the forums, so I'm not sure if this is strictly for ZX10R's, but here we go. I've really become interested in buying a 2014 ZX10R. I'm no stranger to driving high performance cars, but I'm sure bikes are a whole other world. I've seen so many people say thing like "If you buy a literbike, you'll die". I like to think of this as a load of shit. Any thing in moderation can't be that bad, right?

What do you veterans think about this? Feel free to bash me or give me some tips, anything will help.

Thanks,
At least you had the sense to ask.

A Gen 4? Took me over 30 years of riding to really admit to myself I was competent enough to own and ride one. Perhaps at 19 you are different. All 19-year-olds believe they are. Freddie Spencer was different, maybe you are too. But this is unlikely unless you just signed a contract with Honda as Marquez' new teammate.:wink:

My first real streetbike was the pre-eminent VF750F Interceptor, a superhot bike for its time. I threw it down the road within a week and was lucky to survive. Tossed it again within the year, again lucky to have survived.

Humble yourself and do as SkyDork and others have suggested, learn to RIDE a motorcycle first before getting an expert-level open-class bike. And I don't mean taking an MSF course.

Also as SkyDork noted, riding a motorcycle is nothing like driving a car. Anyone can drive a car, cars are intended to be operated by the masses, the lowest common denominator of sensibility and skill. They don't fall over at a stop if you make a slight error. You may as well imagine that flying an airplane is similar to driving a car.

If you can afford a ZX-10R you can afford a Yamaha R3 or CBR300, etcetera. Get on of those and put on a few thousand miles and then see how you feel about it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you haven't grown up with bikes, definitely get a small bike and learn it. Even if you grew up with bikes in the dirt, first street bike, not a litre bike.

Get something small and learn to wring the crap out of it and carry corner speed. Then step up after you have had a few falls and learned the traps. First street bike I had was a RGV250L and it was a hoot. 2 wheel sliding corners and having fun on it. Had to learn a few lessons along the way though. Just a part of life.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
What all these guys said. Start smaller, don't get new, learn first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, like most 19 year olds, I don't have a ton of money. The whole point for going up to the literbike was so after I learn all the aspects on a 600, I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of selling it and looking for a new bike to quench my thirst for speed! All jokes aside, I do own a car. The bike will not be my daily driver so to speak until I learn most of the tips and tricks. Thanks for all the input guys, feel free to drop some more on me!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I recommend you buy whatever tickles your fancy. At the end of the day its your money and your "gotta live with". Everyones destiny on any CC bike is controlled by their wrist. And if you buy a liter bike you're gonna die.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know this is a big IF, but what if I kept the ZX10R on the low power mode (60% of the power) until I learned how it behaved? How different would it behave in comparison to a ZX6R or something of equal nature? Love reading all the feedback, so keep it coming!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

Thanks,
There is a proven path.. There is so much to learn.
Schools speed it up, Riding dirt/mud mountain trails speed it up..

You can't skip the learning... Some do, can't cope, and they die or get so mangled they wish they died.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are some local classes that I was planning on taking. I'm wanting to go into this as safely as possible, but I don't want a bike that I'll inevitably sell in 6 months or less. I understand the risks of starting on 1000 CC's, but I like to think that it's a risk I'm willing to take. >:)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The whole point for going up to the literbike was so after I learn all the aspects on a 600, I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of selling it and looking for a new bike to quench my thirst for speed!
Dude, it doesn't work like that. You're gonna do what you want, it's a free country...for now. Guys like you keep thinking you can handle superbikes and we WILL for sure have the tiered licensing, tons of fees, and Big Brother breathing down our neck all day long.

Ever wonder why other countries require riders to start small and work their way up through a category of motorcycles?

It ain't strictly to make money on fees. There IS some research and science behind it. New riders make dumb mistakes. The bigger the bike, dumber the mistake.

You want to have a life? You worried about saving money, for what? To buy a home some day, have a family? Then get a used cheap bike and learn to ride right.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I know this is a big IF, but what if I kept the ZX10R on the low power mode (60% of the power) until I learned how it behaved? How different would it behave in comparison to a ZX6R or something of equal nature? Love reading all the feedback, so keep it coming!
Zx10 in low power still has way more torque than a 600. Having said that I started on a 99 zx9r so I shouldn't talk... Buuuut the bikes when I started on street were 130 or so hp not 185. These bikes are savage, they are docile in low rpm but once you get onto one shit gets nuts fast. You better be very comfortable in the dirt to start on gen 4. It is smarter for the money as you'll outgrow 600 fast I'd suspect

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not trying to "save money" per se, I'm just trying to be money conscious. Let's say I buy a used 600 CC for $5000. I get all gear and saddle up to go. Something goes bad, my bike gets all scraped up, and now when I want to sell it 6 months down the road, it's got scratches all over it, busted fairings, etc. Maybe someone generous will give me $3000 for it. Now I'm out 2k and I still have to buy another bike. I guarantee I could get just as hurt on a 600 as on a 1000. Maybe having the liter will make me give the bike more respect? Who knows.

I'm not 100% set in stone about getting a literbike, I'm trying to make a logistical decision. Maybe logistical isn't the right word, because to everyone on the forum, my inferred plan is a death sentence.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I see this logic all the time. Peer pressure and misinformation leads to a 600cc sportbike to be looked at like a kiddie bike, or weak. So the new rider buys the liter bike, but frankly never truly learns how to ride it, all in the fear of how they will be perceived by their friends.

I can't tell you how many times I rode my R6 with guys on liter bikes, who had their chests puffed out and whatnot, that never rode with me again. Their ego couldn't take it. On windy back roads I'm still faster on the small bike, and it's actually tons more fun. Don't get me wrong the 10 is a blast to ride too, but in a different way.

So I can tell you for sure that I have never met anyone who "outgrew" their 600 in 6 months. But I've met tons of folks who can't handle a big bike in anything but a straight line. The reality is that the choice is yours and you'll do whatever you want, but anybody who has any real experience will tell you not to rush. You will make mistakes. Even experienced riders do. The difference is this: more power + more weight + less experience, will make the chances of recovery a lot less.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I see this logic all the time. Peer pressure and misinformation leads to a 600cc sportbike to be looked at like a kiddie bike, or weak. So the new rider buys the liter bike, but frankly never truly learns how to ride it, all in the fear of how they will be perceived by their friends.

I can't tell you how many times I rode my R6 with guys on liter bikes, who had their chests puffed out and whatnot, that never rode with me again. Their ego couldn't take it. On windy back roads I'm still faster on the small bike, and it's actually tons more fun. Don't get me wrong the 10 is a blast to ride too, but in a different way.

So I can tell you for sure that I have never met anyone who "outgrew" their 600 in 6 months. But I've met tons of folks who can't handle a big bike in anything but a straight line. The reality is that the choice is yours and you'll do whatever you want, but anybody who has any real experience will tell you not to rush. You will make mistakes. Even experienced riders do. The difference is this: more power + more weight + less experience, will make the chances of recovery a lot less.
I'm not trying to impress anyone. In fact, the less people that know I have a motorcycle, the better.
I'm not gonna be dragging elbows and knees or anything like that. The only turns in Dallas, Texas are on/off loop ramps, lol. :)
Like I said before, I will be driving my car to/from work so the bike won't see any real highway or freeway time until I actually know what I'm doing.

Thanks,

·
Registered
707 Posts
I consider myself very, very lucky to have driven quite a few 500+hp supercars and I can say, without a doubt, that my 10r makes them all seem slow and safe by comparison. Nothing even came close to the same level of excitement until getting into a tuned 740+hp Aventador. By the way, I'm not rich. I just have successful friends who let me borrow their cars. lol

Since I've been riding sportbikes for 17 years and crashed 3x, I've been asked this very question many times over the years and my response has changed over time.

Back in the day I'd tell everybody, in no uncertain terms, that they should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever even think about starting out on a 1000. I had one buddy who bought an R1 as his first bike. He was dead within a year.

More recently my response has changed. If you're over 35 years old and buying a bike with traction control, a low power mode and ABS brakes, then MAYBE you could consider buying a 1000 as your first bike. Maybe.

Buy a 2013 ZX6r and ride that on low power mode instead. It'll still keep you happy for years.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts