Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.hardracing.com/WideBandCommander.htm
If im not mistaken this could really be the ticket!!!! In my town custom maps are about $300 and this item is $475 and can custom map the ten WITH the ram air being in use! REALLY thinking hard about this one! I think after I get my rear sets this might be my next mod.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
gpz1100 said:
Looks interesting, if you get one, give us a full user report! :beer:
:+1:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea I was just told my chicky is going to buy my rear sets for x mas so this might happen right around new years.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
gpz1100 said:
Looks interesting, if you get one, give us a full user report! :beer:
:+1:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Ruthless Racing said:
This is off topic, but do you have a full size version of the pic used for your avatar? :mrgreen:

And on topic, I think there's a little more to proper mapping than just nailin' the A/F ratio down. Me thinks that it would be hard to tune for rideabilty as well as hp using only this tool. I could be wrong though. I was once before. :wink:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
El Diablo said:
This is off topic, but do you have a full size version of the pic used for your avatar? :mrgreen:

And on topic, I think there's a little more to proper mapping than just nailin' the A/F ratio down. Me thinks that it would be hard to tune for rideabilty as well as hp using only this tool. I could be wrong though. I was once before. :wink:

I like the "once before" time El D :crackup: j/k you are usually right, but for the most part unless it's a really good tuner that knows some tricks, then I have to believe that most of them just do go by A/F ratio. I think in the future a good test would be to have someone that does it at home then bring it to their tunner and see if they can top the home results......that would be fun to see :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the cool part about this item is you can utalize the ram air. at 55 you have 55 mph air. vs a dyno has 55mph on the dash but what? a blower?

·
Registered
928 Posts
had a wideband commander on my cobra, great tool. picked up 2mph in the 1/4 over my what appeared to be perfect tune done ona mustang dyno.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
sczx10r said:
Well the cool part about this item is you can utalize the ram air. at 55 you have 55 mph air. vs a dyno has 55mph on the dash but what? a blower?
Don't get me wrong, I see the benefits it could provide in the right hands for that very reason (ram air effect factored in). I just think there's more to getting it right than just buying that unit and shooting for a certain A/F ratio across the board. It would probably be fairly easy to use this along with a PC and set the A/F ratio where you wanted it, but I think it would take quite a bit of track testing by an extremely consistent rider, and some fine tuning to really optimize true performance with it.

A map that focuses solely on setting the A/F ratio at a certain point across the board might not be the map that makes the bike the fastest from point a to point b, or it might not produce good rideability for us street riders. I guess what I'm trying to say is that unless you know how to tune and adjust A/F ratio well enough to vary it in either direction where it needs to be varied, this tool is not really going to be beneficial to you. If the bike likes it a little fat or a little lean in a certain rpm range and you set it at the theoretical "optimum" ratio the bike might not make the best power in that range.

For someone who is consistent enough to measure gains or losses in useable power based on timed laps, or timed drag strip passes, or through sophisticated onboard data tools like the racers use this could be a great tool. For someone like me, it would be all but useless unless simply setting the A/F ratio to a certain setting guaranteed the best performance and rideability. I'm certainly not knocking the tool, I'm just sayin' that I don't think it's something that just anybody will benefit from. That's all. :wink:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
If your using it only for WFO it would be great, but you have to take into account that dyno tuners also use rpm and throttle percentage. Thus it would take a long time to go through all the throttle positions and the entire rpm band in each gear.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think this is a good idea. It is a little pricey for all it is. Like El D said you have to know just how to "properly tune" a bike. Tuning it to the "optimal" a/f setting will make the bike run most efficiently and blow clean in a pollutant check (assuming you still have a cat). But as far a running to peak performance, I doubt that. Running an engine leaner than normal will usually produce some extra hp's but at the expence of extra heat and just plain wear and tear on the engine. So again I LIKE the IDEA of this product. Just that it needs to be in the proper hands to be very beneficial.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I will be looking into that more closely by april. Thanks for the good find.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I already have one on my ZX-10 project bike and the Nitrous Busa that we ra at MAxton this year. I also reviewed it in a recent Sport Rider Article, so come on guys where have you been?

It is a good tool for sure but it only reports a-f and data logs it for you when you activate the logging. Perfect for Maxton Maze. But then you have to come back review that data and manually remap the bike using the PC-USB.

I figure the next version will be closed loop and automatically map your bike as you drive. Dont laugh its just a few keystrokes away I bet

Don

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i would agree. also heard a rumor about PC haveing new software in january so it can hold 2 maps. ex: 1 for pump gas 1 for nos

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
sczx10r said:
i would agree. also heard a rumor about PC haveing new software in january so it can hold 2 maps. ex: 1 for pump gas 1 for nos
This is correct. My friend went to a seminar about powercommander and dynojet a couple months ago and told me about this new software for current pcIII usb models that could store 2 different maps. If the software can't be perfected then a new pc III, that has been rumored to hold 100 different maps, will have to be used.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts