Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
@Gen101
I have the leads on my bikes also and have this Snap-on Charger that I got free when I bought their 4 bank charger, which I have in my basement and I bring all the batteries inside during the winter so they don't freeze out in the garage.

Well tomorrow is still looking like good weather finally so I'll be hopefully doing the calipers after work

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I have brakes!!!
Holy crap. I can't believe what a difference it made just putting these calipers on. And I saw no leaks or anything with the stock Tokicos. You're going to tell me the stock brakes had an inital bite that was pretty much almost to the grip right out of the factory, and they didn't do any about it for 4 years ? This is nuts.

Thanks for all the help guys.
But Now that the front is so good, the rear feels spongy to me now 😂

·
Registered
2005 ZX-10R
183 Posts
Right on - I took mine out today and same reaction (not even bed in yet) - very strong and great lever feel, about as good as my '21 S1000RR (which had a caliper recall interestingly enough, and the replacements were Nissins)

I'm installing a braided line on the rear but that's it, leaving the caliper stock - weak rear brake doesn't bother me, might even be good. Plus I like the gold caliper on the back

Now I just need to get suspension dialed

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I wanted to piant mine gold, the body shop manager offered to spray them whatever color I wanted, but I feel with the bronze wheels and brackets that the gold would have clashed too much. Also the fork tubes are a direct shade of gold compared to gen 1, so I left them black for now.

Maybe I'll try bleeding the rear brake out, I haven't touched it yet so it might just have some air in it from when the shop changed the fluid

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Oh, and onto another subject. Last week I changed the mirrors out to some cheap Amazon ninja 650 mirrors to see if the extended stalks would allow me to see better. Well I can see everything great now but it increased the wind noise severely. At 75mph it feels like I'm riding my Vulcan now and getting blown all over the place. I gave it 4 rides to see if it was just a windy day, but doesn't seem to be the case. Putting the stock mirrors back on today until I find something else.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
So now I'm installing the Vortex frame sliders. They do not fit at all. The center engine mount bolt is too short and the spacers are also too short. I'm going to have to buy some threaded rod and tubing at the hardware store if I want this to work.

Here's the left side with the correct shorter spacer installed
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Audio equipment Automotive tire Microphone stand

And the right side with the longer spacer. Notice the rod isn't even close to being ling enough

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bicycle part Automotive exhaust

And the directions for reference.

Font Material property Pattern Paper Paper product

·
Registered
2005 ZX-10R
183 Posts

Seems to be more common on the '06

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·

Seems to be more common on the '06
I've seen a few stories about this on the Gen 2s hopefully I won't have any issues yet.

I would just call Vortex up instead.
I got them on Amazon so I requested a return and ordered a no name brand that look like Shogun copies that had actual reviews that said they fit. They should be in by the weekend. Hopefully the quality isnt too terrible.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
There aren't. One minute you're riding fine then next minute you hear a tapping noise that increases when revving the engine.
In my case, I had just finished a small power wheelie, didn't even get very high in the revs. It seemed almost instant when I brought the front tire down, the ticking started :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Well my buddy wants to go riding today, and my new frame sliders haven't showed up so I threw it back together. I installed some new grips and a double bubble style windshield that has the stock style circles molded in at the bottom. It's a light tint. I found it on Amazon.
The grips are Katana grips, the design resembles a sword handle.

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

Road surface Automotive tire Grey Asphalt Grass

·
Registered
2005 ZX-10R
183 Posts
A put a Chinese stock replacement/knock off on for $20 - can't tell the difference from stock, some Chinese stuff is ok haha

I hit over 130 this weekend and didn't notice any significant helmet buffeting so I'm good, this bike rips

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
A trip back in time to the 2005 superbike shootout (ZX-10 1:40 in)

Love it 😎

This is the generation of bikes that made me want to get my motorcycle license. Those zx-6Rs and zx-10rs we're always my favorite. I was 25 in 2005. Finally got my license in 2007 and glad I finally picked up a zx-10r all these years later

101 - 120 of 133 Posts