Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. I'm going to look at a 2006 tomorrow with 5,700 miles on it. It has brand new tires, tune up, brake fluid, a few other things. It appears the owner had it serviced so he can sell it.
The pictures look current and it appears to be in great shape.
I've been riding since 2007 but this will be my first ZX-10R. Anything I need to look out for on the Gen 2's?
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I bought it. The bike was absolutely mint. Paid $5,500 for it. it was 90 minutes away so I took it home in my truck. I'll get it registered Monday morning and hopefully ride it to work.
Here's some pics
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Truck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok guys. So I need help finding some aftermarket stuff. Seems hard to find since the bike is old. I need recommendations on frame sliders and tank grips. I don't think I'm going to change anything. I actually like the stock exhaust, which is good because it seems there aren't any choices from the big names anymore

·
Registered
2005 ZX-10R
171 Posts
Looks very clean, I bought a Gen 2 new in 2007 and had it for about 8 years - no issues - yes that is the only generation they decided to go Ducati on the exhaust - very few options now (Beet)?

7 minutes in (and he still has it)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks very clean, I bought a Gen 2 new in 2007 and had it for about 8 years - no issues - yes that is the only generation they decided to go Ducati on the exhaust - very few options now (Beet)?

7 minutes in (and he still has it)

The bike is extremely clean. I'm actually amazed. He gave me a receipt with all the work that was done. $2600 at the dealership. Has new everything. Fluids, brakes, clutch, tune up, tires. It was sitting for 5 years so he had it gone through. I'm going to go through it tomorrow and pull off the tank and all the fairings and make sure everything else checks out. Hopefully register it Monday and then ride it to work.

i don't think I'm going to touch the exhaust, it seems fine. I did see Techspec does indeed sell tank grips for it, and those are my go to brand. Just need to find the best frame sliders. Oh I need spools too.

and I've seen that guys YouTube videos even before I was planning on buying this. Those two bikes are absolutely gorgeous

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok guys. So I need help finding some aftermarket stuff. Seems hard to find since the bike is old. I need recommendations on frame sliders and tank grips. I don't think I'm going to change anything. I actually like the stock exhaust, which is good because it seems there aren't any choices from the big names anymore

I’m picking mine up Friday 13k miles $5,000 but I just did some research on the bike aka “ wheel barrel “ and read that they need a valve job at 16k miles 🤔 ?How true is that? And has anyone ever done a head build on these?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m picking mine up Friday 13k miles $5,000 but I just did some research on the bike aka “ wheel barrel “ and read that they need a valve job at 16k miles 🤔 ?How true is that? And has anyone ever done a head build on these?
Here’s some pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
16k is the interval for all Kawasaki engine valve adjustments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it's probably expensive too so you may want to use it while negotiating the price.
I paid asking price for mine, because I knew it was going to sell quick and I had to have it.

·
Registered
2005 ZX-10R
171 Posts
Fluids, brakes, clutch, tune up, tires. It was sitting for 5 years so he had it gone through.
Check tank for rust, and your fuel injectors might be gummed up - I had both of those issues on my Gen 1 that sat too long (fuel filter was also clogged)

i don't think I'm going to touch the exhaust, it seems fine.
Yeah it's not worth it, minor hp gains and too much work/$$

Definitely a good price for the bike

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking the same thing unless he can provide paperwork that he had it done
Check tank for rust, and your fuel injectors might be gummed up - I had both of those issues on my Gen 1 that sat too long (fuel filter was also clogged)

Yeah it's not worth it, minor hp gains and too much work/$$

Definitely a good price for the bike
I checked the tank for rust. It's definitely clean. Dealership also did too, it's specifically says it in the paperwork. Here's everything that was recently done, if you're curious

Book Publication Font Paper product Paper
Font Paper Publication Document Paper product
ok

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Still looking for frame sliders. There's some on eBay and Amazon that seem to be copies of the old TRex design. Not sure if idea trust them though. The woodcraft brand you have to cut the fairings, which I don't want. I see Puig has some but the reviews say the shatter and break on impact. Looks like Shogun is the only real option?

EDIT: looks like Shogun are discontinued and sold out everywhere too

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I ordered the Vortex frame sliders.
Got it registered this morning and rode it to work. Holy crap the front brakes suck 😂 and it supposedly has a new master cylinder and fluid. I bled them out before I left work and it got better but by the time I got home they were spongy again. I'm guessing the calipers need a rebuild. I need to fix this asap before anything else now. So my new project is brakes. Since I'm not doing power mods, I don't mind upgrading the front brakes. Gonna see what fits
on there I guess.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Supposedly the '09+ ZX-6R/ZX-14 Nissins bolt right up and are night and day, I ordered a pair off EBAY for $200

More expensive option Brembo Kawasaki ZX-10R 04-07 108mm Radial M4 Monobloc Front Caliper Kit
I like those Brembos. Do those require a master cylinder change also? I was going to drop more than that on an exhaust for a brand new 2022 636, but grabbed this 2006 instead. So if that the only thing I need to upgrade right now I'm still ahead money wise 😂

1 - 20 of 128 Posts