Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

A few familier faces here from 1000RR.net where I was previously. Been lurking here for a bit and today I made a purchase on a 16k kms old Black ZX10R. It has some mods on it and I pick it up tomorrow for my first ride, 200+kms cough )).

Let you know my thoughts if I survive.

Coming from a 2004 CBR1000RR. The old girl has 87,000 kms on the clock and still ticking away nicely but instead of throwing more money at her for better suspension I thought a newer bike would be a better way to invest the cash. New the ZX10R is 25,000€ in Finland so I though a pre loved Gen 4 would be the ticket.

Wish me luck on the maiden ride in crappy weather (seems to be the tradition for me when I get a new bike) :grin2:
oh and LDH and Speedy, nice to see you here.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
Welcome to da party!

Huge step up from that old CBR.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Cheers bro and welcome to the club!

And for the record every new bike I have ever bought I have had to ride home in the rain. Every single one it never fails. Even if it is dry when I leave the dealership it always pours on me before I get to the house.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
:welcome: Blitze!!

The obligatory

:ttiwwop:

is a given around here. Enjoy the site!! :ayyy:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Taking Jollygreen's advice, I rode it like I stole it ))
To be honest though, it was late, and 4 degrees and I had some kms to travel.

Pic in grarage, new and old in background. I started riding it with Power selected to 2 and TC on 1. After a few kms when at petrol station, I changed Power to Full. The previous owner put on some Pilot Power tyres but 190/50 rear. Not ridden Michelines but they seemed ok, just know they require a little more air than the Pirellis I am used to. Not sure if this gen of Michelines give warning before letting go which has been why I have avoided them in the past.

Compared to my old ride, bike feels smaller, more upright and lithe. On the 190/50 rear it still was more nimble on its toes, I might keep the Powers but go larger in the rear, I will check them out. Engine, to start I was keeping it in around the mid rev range. When I got onto the open highway, I was able to open it up in Full. Found the power delivery to be very linear in nature with no real surge. Bike has Yoshi can with CAT removed and PCV. Not a fan of the Yoshi cans but it will do till winter when I might swap it out for a Scorpion RP-1 GP.

KAWASAKI - ZX 10R - 11-15

Also not sure about the Puig screen, I find being 6'3" I end up with airflow hitting my helmet line making life noisy when riding. I might pick up a stock screen and see how that feels for day to day riding.

As LDH pointed out, the bike is much easier to ride than the CBR1K 04/5.
I had a mix of dry and wet roads on the home ride of 370kms and she didn't put a foot wrong. With more familiar roads with corners over time I will explore things more. If I can I will drag her down to the track and have some fun there too.

ABS brakes more capable then the old CBR and engine braking not an issue either. Found gears a bit clunky but will do an oil change to Mobil1 from Castrol and see how it feels then. Also will get some rear sets and set her up for GP shifting which I am more accustomed to and find nicer to ride. For now, bit by bit and discover what has been done to her by her previous owners and what I can add.

One very happy new owner. Last time I had fun on a Kawasaki was back in the day on my friends KR-1S 250. I used to ride a RGV 250 at the time and it was fun to throw my leg over his KR and see how it rode.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
10k miles brand new. Well this baby doesn't burn oil and handles better but I didn't have your exact cbr year.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Taking Jollygreen's advice, I rode it like I stole it ))
To be honest though, it was late, and 4 degrees and I had some kms to travel.

Pic in grarage, new and old in background. I started riding it with Power selected to 2 and TC on 1. After a few kms when at petrol station, I changed Power to Full. The previous owner put on some Pilot Power tyres but 190/50 rear. Not ridden Michelines but they seemed ok, just know they require a little more air than the Pirellis I am used to. Not sure if this gen of Michelines give warning before letting go which has been why I have avoided them in the past.

Compared to my old ride, bike feels smaller, more upright and lithe. On the 190/50 rear it still was more nimble on its toes, I might keep the Powers but go larger in the rear, I will check them out. Engine, to start I was keeping it in around the mid rev range. When I got onto the open highway, I was able to open it up in Full. Found the power delivery to be very linear in nature with no real surge. Bike has Yoshi can with CAT removed and PCV. Not a fan of the Yoshi cans but it will do till winter when I might swap it out for a Scorpion RP-1 GP.

KAWASAKI - ZX 10R - 11-15

Also not sure about the Puig screen, I find being 6'3" I end up with airflow hitting my helmet line making life noisy when riding. I might pick up a stock screen and see how that feels for day to day riding.

As LDH pointed out, the bike is much easier to ride than the CBR1K 04/5.
I had a mix of dry and wet roads on the home ride of 370kms and she didn't put a foot wrong. With more familiar roads with corners over time I will explore things more. If I can I will drag her down to the track and have some fun there too.

ABS brakes more capable then the old CBR and engine braking not an issue either. Found gears a bit clunky but will do an oil change to Mobil1 from Castrol and see how it feels then. Also will get some rear sets and set her up for GP shifting which I am more accustomed to and find nicer to ride. For now, bit by bit and discover what has been done to her by her previous owners and what I can add.

One very happy new owner. Last time I had fun on a Kawasaki was back in the day on my friends KR-1S 250. I used to ride a RGV 250 at the time and it was fun to throw my leg over his KR and see how it rode.
welcome ! :hello:

you dont have the ECU flashed yet ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No idea about the ECU, it is the Euro Model so it isn't castrated like the US models are but there are some extra's I have read about the flash that would be nice. It is running a PCV with a dyno tune although I am thinking maybe adding auto-tune to that but down the track.

Goto look at how to access everything as it is quite a different beast to the old Honda with panels and seating. I have the Service manual downloaded and am slowly exploring things. Most important is for me a tyre swap as both bikes have recently new tyres but I would prefer the 200/55 Corsa I have on the Honda on the ZX10R. Put the Power 3's on the Honda for selling. Not sure if I can take the speedo healer from the Honda across or if I need specific connectors for the ZX0R and have to purchase a new one.

One step at a time as they say. Did have some fun on familiar roads yesterday and it does run away nicely with throttle. ))

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so first out the gate mods wise.
Diablo Rosso Corsa tyres featuring 200/55 rear. Love that tyre on the old bike and on the ZX it now feels like the rear shock is doing its job. Slight problem with the Front, have to take it back to tyre place and get them to re mount the front as they got it around the wrong way and I was wondering why the TC was throwing an error. LOL oops

Then:

Rear sets
K&N Street Filter
Li Battery
Exhaust Servo Eliminator

To then be gradually added over winter:
Scorpion Muffler
Clip ons if I can find some that are same hight as OEM bars but with a little more width.
Look into a Flash
PCV auto tune module to compliment the PCV

Any idea where to pick up a rear guard that covers the rear shock? Would be nice to keep the rear shock a little less exposed to crud.

I might look into an öhlins elec rear shock but see how budget is.

Loving the bike though and my ass isn't as sore on it compared to the old bike. ))

Pic of the old girl going to be sold. We had many good years but, time to move on.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts