Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

Last night I did my second oil change. Since I'm only at 966 miles, I held off going to synthetic.

The Kawachem 20W-50 I put in last change appeared quite clean and had very little in the way of combustion remnants. No complaints about the quality of the oil AFAICT (didn't do analysis on it since the engine was still breaking in and the oil only had 666 miles on it), although at $13/gallon for a mediocre mineral oil, as Happy Gilmore would say, "the price is WRONG, bitch!"

I chose this time to put in Mobil 1 Delvac Super 1300 15W-40. This is a dino-based commercial (CI-4) oil with high-shear viscosity index improving polymers, making it a good choice for a shared engine/transmission oil (VII shear in the transmission is the primary cause of viscosity breakdown in the oil in your motorcycle). Because it's a commercial oil, it has an additive package that puts API SH oils to shame. Moreover, it has a film strength on par with most 20W-50 oils. Best of all, it's only $6/gallon at Wal-Mart. Bob Barker reminds you to spay and neuter your pets.

I also went to a different filter, the SuperTech ST7317. SuperTech is Wal-Mart's filter brand, but the filter is actually made by Champion. The ST7317 is larger than the OEM filter---about 3.5 inches tall instead of about 2.5 (and, since I used it, you can rest assured that it does fit!). This has two advantages: first, you get more filter surface area, improving the filtration effectiveness and reducing the pressure drop across the filter; second, it increases the oil capacity of the bike slightly, from 3.2 quarts (change w/filter from owner's manual) to about 3.5 quarts. This is almost a 10% increase in oil capacity, meaning that, all other things being equal, your oil is under 10% less stress. Of course, there's one other big advantage: the filter is at least as good as the one you get from Kawasaki, but it costs $2 from Wal-Mart instead of $11 from the dealer.

All in all, I went from a $25 oil change to an $8 oil change and actually improved the quality of both oil and filter in the process. Next change, I'm going to Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (it's CH-4 rated with an outstanding viscosity index and available at Wal-Mart for about $13/gallon) and a Purolator PureONE PL14610 (same size as the ST7317, but probably the best oil filter you can buy and only $6 from Pep Boys). This means the change will cost me more like $20, but it'll be a synthetic oil and an equally badass filter, meaning I can confidently beat my engine like a red-headed stepchild over my expected 1500 mile drain interval.

If you all get sick of my obsessive posts concerning oil quality &c, let me know. :) On the other hand, if you want to read more, I recommend
Happy trails [smilie=b:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
thanks for the links, interesting reading.
didn't realize all these filters would fit:

Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.

Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion

·
Registered
184 Posts
frams tg7317 ( I think that is right) is made by honeywell which deals in aircraft engines!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
livnpaintball said:
frams tg7317 ( I think that is right) is made by honeywell which deals in aircraft engines!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, but they use a cardboard end cap (inside the metal can) that some people fear could come apart under heavy use. See the link above for reasons not to use a Fram filter.

Honeywell is a huge company. Their aircraft engine division may very well be competent, but that implies nothing about their oil filter division. That's like saying that Chryslers have to be fast because they're made by Daimler.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Floyd said:
I wouldnt use an aftermarket filter unless you are sure it has a high pressure release in it.
All evidence with regard to pressure release valves indicates that the release pressure is not at all carefully controlled. In any case, I'm not overly concerned---as long as you use an appropriate oil weight for ambient temps and don't let your filter get clogged, your bypass valve won't ever open.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
R1GSXRKILLER said:
I would'nt use anything but kawi. OEM parts(oil/filter) even though i'll pay a little more i know i'm putting what the factory recomends..just my 2 cents.
Fair enough.

On the other hand, I'm convinced that the Purolator PureONE is a better filter and the CI-4 oil is better than what Kawachem makes. I'm not interested in keeping Kawasaki happy, I'm interested in keeping my bike happy. For my money, that means using the best stuff available. And hey, it just happens that in this case you save a few bucks---a nice added bonus.

·
Registered
672 Posts
yup! wal mart ST7317! :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
I read some article comparing oil filters. I think the Fram came out to be the worst. I will stick to paying a few extra bucks for the Kawa filter. I run regular Kawa oil too, when it hits about 5k or 6k miles I'll switch to Motul synthetic blend. I don't like the way the clutch feels on full synthetic.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I used the st7313 and the f'ing thing came apart when I removed it for the oil change.... won't use that crap again.. :x

·
Registered
46 Posts
champion makes the worst parts on planet earth, period. see if champion makes spark plugs for your and run them too. also theres no way your getting .3 of a quart more into a filter of that diameter even if its bigger it would have too be much much bigger to accomodate that much more. dont go cheap on something as important as an oil filter, but hey its your bike. the day they start selling sport bikes and anything of quality at walmart is the day i will go there to buy anything for my bike. thank you very much

·
Registered
672 Posts
livnpaintball said:
I used the st7313 and the f'ing thing came apart when I removed it for the oil change.... won't use that crap again.. :x
aw man, exactly what came apart? do u mean like it tore apart? maybe from the filter wrench or pliers perhaps? i'm about to change my oil again soon.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Youu want the PL. the PL14610 is the PureOne filter, the L14610 is the Premium Plus, one step down from the PureOne in quality.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I kinda figured that as the L14610 is only $3.99 as opposed to $5.99 but i wanted to be sure before having Pepboys order some.

BD

1 - 20 of 20 Posts