Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I installed new Ohlin’s front and rear suspension. The rear is the electronic set up. The bike felt real good compared to stock but my tire wear looks kind of funny to me. I have the rear shimmed 5MM and I’m running Super Corsa’s on there. These tires had about 500 miles on them before I went to the track. What do you think is going on? It looks to me that she is pushing,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
What are you TC settings? What track? How are you on the throttle? Mine do that when I am ham fisting the throttle coming out of turns.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you TC settings? What track? How are you on the throttle? Mine do that when I am ham fisting the throttle coming out of turns.
I run it on TC1 and try to roll it on at the apex pretty good..this was New York Safety Track.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Did you go look at some of the guys tires? I normally ask a coach or a local racer. When I went to Jennings GP I destroyed my slick in a day and they told me that was normal.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No i was hoping there would be a suspension guy there so I could have him help me tune it better...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first question a suspension or tire guy will ask is what pressure were the tires hot off the track.
I was 30 front and rear hot.

·
Always On Mod
1,840 Posts
I was 30 front and rear hot.
I'm not a suspension expert by any stretch, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

CT Racing is our Pirelli distributor out in CA, and they told me the super corsas should be hot 32front/28rear.
I'd try that to start. The pic of your rear looks potentially like the rebound is too slow:helmet:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not a suspension expert by any stretch, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

CT Racing is our Pirelli distributor out in CA, and they told me the super corsas should be hot 32front/28rear.
I'd try that to start. The pic of your rear looks potentially like the rebound is too slow:helmet:
Hmmmm ok but two pounds different doesn't seem like much.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No I'll have to pay more attention to it next track days.....hey guys I was thinking of buying a pair of slicks.....I've,never run slicks before. What would be a real good set I should be looking at?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
No I'll have to pay more attention to it next track days.....hey guys I was thinking of buying a pair of slicks.....I've,never run slicks before. What would be a real good set I should be looking at?
Biggest thing with slicks is can you keep heat in them? If you can't run a fast enough pace you won't keep heat in the carcass and the tire won't work right. Then you're basically throwing money away twice due to prematurely wearing the tire AND paying extra for a slick vs a DOT.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Slicks are best performing when hot. No carcas heat no bueno. If you're not fast enough, I'd stick with the DOTs. I've seen a guy literally distroy his 10r into pieces. Reason? According to him was that he forgot to hook his tire warmers, took it easy the first lap thinking it was enough, and came down T1 @ Thunderhill flying. Tires didn't like that.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Slicks are best performing when hot. No carcas heat no bueno. If you're not fast enough, I'd stick with the DOTs. I've seen a guy literally distroy his 10r into pieces. Reason? According to him was that he forgot to hook his tire warmers, took it easy the first lap thinking it was enough, and came down T1 @ Thunderhill flying. Tires didn't like that.

Well I'm not a pro but I've been riding for over 30 years and ride pretty much in the front of the pack in the intermediate group. I do run tire warmers. But I still want to ride the bike on the street some times also so maybe I'll stay with the Super Corsas V2'2...

·
Registered
53 Posts
+1 on the slicks. I raced WERA 600 classes and felt that I really hadn't been limited by DOTs. Tire guys will always have your best data on pressures as they'll change from track to track.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts