Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guy! So I bought a OEM oil filter from my local dealership and tried tried to install it, but noticed it was not spooling on freely like the filter I just took off (Almost as if it was cross threading). I compared the part number and the numbers are different (OLD Filter 16097-0004 made in Japan and the New Filer 16097-0008 made in China). Even the construction is slightly different.
So, naturally I'm thinking the dealership gave me the wrong filter. I Go back to the dealership and tell them they gave me the wrong filter, but they said, it is the correct filter, that the new part # supersedes the original part # and they no longer carry the 16097-0004.
So, they find the last 16097-0004 in stock and give it to me, I install it and have no issues with the installation.
Have you guys experienced this with the new OEM filter from China?

The pictures show the Old part # and filter from Japan, which I think is built much better than the one from China. The filter from China does not have the Tabs like the filter from Japan (see last picture).

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I was thinking the same thing! My rule was to always buy OEM filters, but I just don't like the way the filters screw on. And the fact it's made in china instead of Japan.
I asked the dealership, why the change, but he didn't have an answer. I figure cost savings.
So, I have to ask, what brand are the rest of the members using?

·
Registered
3,360 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I use the purolator on the Kawi. Been using them for years in every ZX I've had, and they fit my son's WRX too.

·
Registered
951 Posts
K&N the filters that blow their gasket and puke oil all over your rear tire?? No thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I've been using k&n filters in cars and bikes for years now and have never had an issue with their gaskets or anything else. Sounds like improper instalation.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I've been using k&n filters in cars and bikes for years now and have never had an issue with their gaskets or anything else. Sounds like improper instalation.
:thumbsup:

K&N here too... never had an issue at over 40000 miles now

·
Registered
742 Posts
I've just bought an oem filter "made in china" and posted a new thread by mistake... dooh!

I found "Hiflofiltro" HF 303 to be good in the past

haven't tried to install my new filter yet so cant comment on the threading/fitment, but I might try to take it back

·
Registered
47 Posts
FYI i just installed an oem oil filter from China. Called the Parts guy which i got it from and
He said the the one from Japan was 004, now this one is 008 which is 4 models later and that this is the one from Kawi factory now.The new filter went on with no issues. Ran the bike for a few minutes and no leaks. Haven't test driven it yet ,Keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts