Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gen5 has 3500 miles and I've had what I'm assuming is cam-chain noise for 3000 of those miles. I noticed the other day that the noise from the bike is louder and I'm hearing what I'd discribe as a fast ticking over 5k rpm. Normally the sound from the engine would drown out the cct above 4K. Could this be valves? I'm no bike mechanic and I wasn't looking forward to taking it to the dealership since they don't seem very sharp or too willing to help.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You may still want to think about taking to an authorized kawi dealer to document the issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I brought it in for the 600 mile service and talked to them about the cam-chain noise then. They told me to just ride it as normal, shouldn't be a problem. That noise would typically be drown out around 4K rpm. This new noise sounds like a fast tick and I can still hear it past 4k and a good bit higher, sounds like it's coming from the front of the bike. I love to ride but I've got a lot to learn when it comes to differentiating between the sounds coming from the motor, what's normal, bad, etc.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine did the same about that same time... took it in got the chain tensioner replaced. Did the same thing almost immediately after. It's just a noise the bike makes. Bike has 6500 with 0 problems "knocks on wood"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
My gen5 has 3500 miles and I've had what I'm assuming is cam-chain noise for 3000 of those miles. I noticed the other day that the noise from the bike is louder and I'm hearing what I'd discribe as a fast ticking over 5k rpm. Normally the sound from the engine would drown out the cct above 4K. Could this be valves? I'm no bike mechanic and I wasn't looking forward to taking it to the dealership since they don't seem very sharp or too willing to help.
I've got a shade over 5k and since probably 2k it has made some rattle at start up, just a couple seconds, sounds like hydraulic lifters after they bleed off. I'm not even sure if this motor has a hydraulic cct. Anyway still runs great. Even with a Yoshimura 3/4 and a flash the damn thing sounds like a sewing machine at an idle. More so when cold. But keeps on running. I just tell myself if my buddy's R6 can sound as shitty as it does and still turn 17,000 rpm for over 28,000 miles, then mine will be fine. Try and ignore the sounds unless they get really bad or you get close to the end of your warranty. Unless your like me and modded it right out of the gate.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a shade over 5k and since probably 2k it has made some rattle at start up, just a couple seconds, sounds like hydraulic lifters after they bleed off. I'm not even sure if this motor has a hydraulic cct. Anyway still runs great. Even with a Yoshimura 3/4 and a flash the damn thing sounds like a sewing machine at an idle. More so when cold. But keeps on running. I just tell myself if my buddy's R6 can sound as shitty as it does and still turn 17,000 rpm for over 28,000 miles, then mine will be fine. Try and ignore the sounds unless they get really bad or you get close to the end of your warranty. Unless your like me and modded it right out of the gate.
Yea I'm pretty sure my cct had more or less given up on trying to advance, or at least it wasn't doing it until the chain was quite loose. I backed the tensioner out and let it advance two clicks (which was a lot easier than I thought it would be) and it did quiet down quite a bit. It didn't take it out completely but I'd rather it still have some slack than be too tight. I ordered the manual tensioner from APE which I'll probably install next week. If I wind up needing warranty service I'll just throw the stock cct back on it first. In spite of the various sounds that I tend to worry about due to my lack of experience the bike runs great.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Yea I'm pretty sure my cct had more or less given up on trying to advance, or at least it wasn't doing it until the chain was quite loose. I backed the tensioner out and let it advance two clicks (which was a lot easier than I thought it would be) and it did quiet down quite a bit. It didn't take it out completely but I'd rather it still have some slack than be too tight. I ordered the manual tensioner from APE which I'll probably install next week. If I wind up needing warranty service I'll just throw the stock cct back on it first. In spite of the various sounds that I tend to worry about due to my lack of experience the bike runs great.
FINALLY! Someone (I'm sure they may be a couple more) did the proper fix!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts