Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all from Ontario

Long story short last spring I was cut of the road with my 2011 Ninja ABS and decided to step up a brand new 2017 ZX10R I came across.
I will be getting it by the end of January.
I will be doing a few (necessary) mods during the winter and would like some opinions on my choices and to see if I can get away without getting some kind of tune or fuel management system till next year

TechSpec Tank Grip Pads - Snake Skin
Akrapovic LinkPipe (Titanium)
Akrapovic Slip-On Line (Titanium) Exhaust
TST IndustriesTST Industries 2 Pins LED Flasher Relay
Custom LED Blaster-X Integrated LED Tail Light
TST Industries Elite 1 Fender Eliminator

I also like the TST Tail light but thinking the Custom Led is a little brighter and have had on on my Raider since 2009 without any issues.

Thanks in advance for your comments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,766 Posts
Welcome to the party!

The Custom LED light is no joke! Brightest one I've seen. Can't go wrong with that one for sure! With that said, I went with the Motodynamics version because the look of it is a bit better IMO. I do like the TST fender eliminator I have on it though. Post pics once you get the bike! As long as it's the green one that is. No one cares about the other stupid ugly colors they come in. ? ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the party!

The Custom LED light is no joke! Brightest one I've seen. Can't go wrong with that one for sure! With that said, I went with the Motodynamics version because the look of it is a bit better IMO. I do like the TST fender eliminator I have on it though. Post pics once you get the bike! As long as it's the green one that is. No one cares about the other stupid ugly colors they come in. ? ?
Hey, I will check out the Motodynamics. Actually and unfortunately its not the green (wish it was) as i got the last one they had and it was white Ill be getting it wraped next year. The one is the pic was written off.

·
The Pace
7,042 Posts
I think ok; but you MUST go here and buy extended warranty. Trust me:

Call and get the money figure, mail the check; and you're covered for future repairs.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
You know that kawi offers the extended warranty directly on their webpage and since it's a brand new bike it shouldn't be an issue, not sure why you would post someones number with Yamaha in the number at a kawi site. And to the op, I had a 2017 abs that was white. I fucking loved it. It's a nice color dude. Won't get as many compliments as the other colors but a very nice color all the same

·
The Pace
7,042 Posts
You know that kawi offers the extended warranty directly on their webpage and since it's a brand new bike it shouldn't be an issue, not sure why you would post someones number with Yamaha in the number at a kawi site. And to the op, I had a 2017 abs that was white. I fucking loved it. It's a nice color dude. Won't get as many compliments as the other colors but a very nice color all the same
It's Kawa dealer. Click the link and feel shame. Have to think all the time.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
Can't feel shame when right in the name it says another manufacturers name in the spelling. Besides, why go through an individual when u can do it the same time you reg your bike with kawi via the website...cut the middlemen and go direct. Get the bike registered in your name via kawi and gain access to the service docs directly from kawi as well. Can't go wrong that route

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
Link pipe will make it run terribly...no low end or mid-range...even with a custom map. I went back to the converter with the Akra shorty.
You need to do the intake flap and air filter if you go link pipe, and screw running terrible when. You drop as much weight and the sound is so much better with cat delete. I see you live close to attack in HB though, they are good people

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called them unfortuntally they can not sell the plan to us up here in Canada. It's a shame as it was only $399 for 48 months and here its $1,630.00

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't feel shame when right in the name it says another manufacturers name in the spelling. Besides, why go through an individual when u can do it the same time you reg your bike with kawi via the website...cut the middlemen and go direct. Get the bike registered in your name via kawi and gain access to the service docs directly from kawi as well. Can't go wrong that route
I will be getting the plan from my dealer here in Canada.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Link pipe will make it run terribly...no low end or mid-range...even with a custom map. I went back to the converter with the Akra shorty.
Damn, Did not really want to hear this, personally I don't care as much about top end and would like more Low and middle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You need to do the intake flap and air filter if you go link pipe, and screw running terrible when. You drop as much weight and the sound is so much better with cat delete. I see you live close to attack in HB though, they are good people
Interesting, I was told not to do the K&N filter from a guy at the head office. Can you tell me more about the intake flap you mentioned as well as attack HB, are they in Ontario Canada?

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
Attack performance is in Huntington Beach California which is where the Dyno test older guy posted was done. The intake flap is the ram air flap, wildwiskeywolf has a video of it being removed along with the other emissions control shit posted on YouTube. I'll see if I can find the link for you if you want. Seriously though, the Dyno shows the same or higher torque and hp on the custom map done in warmer weather which means lower o2 levels in the charge air so actually should show lower power but it doesn't so not sure why older guy would say it loses low and mid range with the link pipe. The zx10 has never had low end power. It is just the way it is, if you want more low end you need to change gearing at expense of top end and having to shift more often plus worse fuel economy (it's a liter bike so none of us bought them for the efficiency I hope) but a -1 front and +2 rear will make her seem tons more responsive down low. Pipe length makes a tiny difference at mid range and high range rpm. Shorty pipe will sacrifice some of the mid for more high rpm power and a longer pipe the reverse. Honestly though the difference taking a day shit and losing a few pounds through diet will make more noticeable difference than the pipe will for performance. Midpipe or cat delete removes a ton of backpressure and resistance for the bike to be able to breathe out easier. If you do that you need to balance it by doing at minimum the air filter ie..k&n and the ram air flap, pair valve mod/delete ie...block off plates so that the bike can be balanced in and out. Makes shit flow better and gives better power curve, period.

·
Registered
ZX10R 2012
36 Posts
Just another 5 cents from me. Having 3/4 Yoshi R77 onboard, ECU flashed, dyno configured.
There's literally no low end till around 4-5k RPM, after that feel free to use as much power as you need.
However, on my Eurotrip 2 years ago I switched Yoshi to stock exhaust with the valves (no servo though) didn't remap. A lawnmower sounds louder than my bike, but it gained so much low end with the valves closed. Didn't have to revv it much to take off with a passenger and a tank bag.

·
Registered
Gen 5 ZX10R
234 Posts
Hello all from Ontario

Long story short last spring I was cut of the road with my 2011 Ninja ABS and decided to step up a brand new 2017 ZX10R I came across.
I will be getting it by the end of January.
I will be doing a few (necessary) mods during the winter and would like some opinions on my choices and to see if I can get away without getting some kind of tune or fuel management system till next year

TechSpec Tank Grip Pads - Snake Skin
Akrapovic LinkPipe (Titanium)
Akrapovic Slip-On Line (Titanium) Exhaust
TST IndustriesTST Industries 2 Pins LED Flasher Relay
Custom LED Blaster-X Integrated LED Tail Light
TST Industries Elite 1 Fender Eliminator

I also like the TST Tail light but thinking the Custom Led is a little brighter and have had on on my Raider since 2009 without any issues.

Thanks in advance for your comments
View attachment 443706
Welcome!!

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
Just another 5 cents from me. Having 3/4 Yoshi R77 onboard, ECU flashed, dyno configured.
There's literally no low end till around 4-5k RPM, after that feel free to use as much power as you need.
However, on my Eurotrip 2 years ago I switched Yoshi to stock exhaust with the valves (no servo though) didn't remap. A lawnmower sounds louder than my bike, but it gained so much low end with the valves closed. Didn't have to revv it much to take off with a passenger and a tank bag.
When you say with the valves but no servo, you are aware that without the servo the exhaust valve or flap stays locked open since that is what the spring will default it to. So it's the same as not having the valve pretty much. My bike felt a bit better at sub 5k rpm with stock can but really, these bikes are meant to be run wide open not on and off the line. If around town all day is what you are gonna do then seriously drop a tooth in the front and go up 2 in the rear and it's golden. The loss of power while wide open and up top is more than enough to make running a stock can not even kinda worth it for the 2 to 3k worth of rpm range that the bike feels like it has more power when really the reason it seems that way is because it's so damn quiet you just can't hear as it revs to get you going vs a 3/4 system that gets loud quicker than the power curve climbs...make sense. Sure some of the bottom end is result of backpressure but it's only a tiny bit. Most of it is legit cause the sound doesn't overwhelm the power curve. The Dyno results posted by older guy show that with hard numbers

·
Registered
ZX10R 2012
36 Posts
When you say with the valves but no servo, you are aware that without the servo the exhaust valve or flap stays locked open since that is what the spring will default it to. So it's the same as not having the valve pretty much. My bike felt a bit better at sub 5k rpm with stock can but really, these bikes are meant to be run wide open not on and off the line. If around town all day is what you are gonna do then seriously drop a tooth in the front and go up 2 in the rear and it's golden. The loss of power while wide open and up top is more than enough to make running a stock can not even kinda worth it for the 2 to 3k worth of rpm range that the bike feels like it has more power when really the reason it seems that way is because it's so damn quiet you just can't hear as it revs to get you going vs a 3/4 system that gets loud quicker than the power curve climbs...make sense. Sure some of the bottom end is result of backpressure but it's only a tiny bit. Most of it is legit cause the sound doesn't overwhelm the power curve. The Dyno results posted by older guy show that with hard numbers
Well, I believe springs make the valves being all the way closed so there is a backpressure, and once the servo comes in, it should open the valves so that the engine can breathe more easily. Not really sure if I even allowed to use those both in the same sentence :D

About the stock can and quiet bike, it is a part of the story indeed, however, due to strict limitations in Switzerland (that's basically the only thing that made me put a stock can back) I was pushed to ride on a clutch all the way through the cities. Literally, there are 30 km/h limits and gen 4 hits it once clutch is released, so yeah there is a backpressure in place for low-low end

1 - 20 of 22 Posts