Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all you Kwackers. I just purchased a spanking new '14R abs 10 days ago here in Southern California. This 4,000 rpm break-in is a pain in the arse! Stupid cagers tail gate me on the freeway even though I'm in the slow lane.

I plan on keeping this bad boy pretty much stock, for at least 9 months before I upgrade anything (other than tires of course). If I do, make changes, it'll be suspension upgrade 1st, maybe clutch/brake levers 2nd and braided brake lines 3rd. Yeah, I'm actually gonna leave the stock pipe on and leave the engine/ electrics alone. Plastics and drilled bolts application before I do a track day.

I almost bought the S1kRR, but couldn't agree on a $$$. Also heard about some of their electrical issues so sayonara to that choice. I've never owned a liter bike (sport bike), but I still have and am keeping my KTM990S. Also had the 600r (sold) and my ZX-7 (still have). So, obviously the 7 is underpowered (94 hp's), I decided to bump to a liter bike.

So, track day school awaits. I also have to lose some weight before I stuff my fat behind in my old suit.

I do like researching all of the good info on this site. But just one thing...dayum you gotta really crouch to ride this scoot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
only 200 miles on break in

:headshake:
I did the dual sport ride LA-Barstow to Las Vegas ride on my KTM 990 with my son last month. On day 2, we checked in at Baker, CA. I was on the powerline road in the sand and hit a rock. It tossed me off the bike onto my left side. 4 broken ribs. Now I'm laid up at home and can finish breaking in the new '14. So, all I get to do is look at the bike and read your posts.

Thanks, but I don't need anyone to ride my bike. Just in case you wanted to ask.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Brake it in on the track!

One session, change oil, a couple more sessions and change to semi synthetic, call it a day until next normal oil change when you go to full synthetic

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake it in on the track!

One session, change oil, a couple more sessions and change to semi synthetic, call it a day until next normal oil change when you go to full synthetic
I can barely roll out of bed on my own without the ribs aching. Much less curling up on the green liter bike. Now, mama says she wants me to get that airbag vest and a different set of leathers before I race. Anybody else seen/have/use an airbag vest? I was looking at Hit Air vests. They have one specifically for track/race bike. Leathers? I'll just shop around for that. I know that'll be an easy $1200-$1500 here in Southern California. Man....this ain't cheaphttp://zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/icon_sad.gif

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the welcome and well wishes. 17 days into recovery and all I can do is go to the garage and stare at the bike. My sandwich maker said that I better not think about getting on it yet.

While I keep thinking about a track day, I have since ordered from pro bolt a magnetic oil drain bolt and oil filler cap and front brake caliper bolts. All pre-drilled. Also got the Cox radiator guard yesterday.

I have considered after market lever(s). Has anybody changed out their clutch lever for a shorty lever? I doubt that it's really necessary to change out the front brake, but for those who have changed it, does it really make a difference?
And then which brand did you go with and if you had a choice which do you prefer? I know Pazzo is pricey, but I do like the look and detail that goes into it.

Oh yeah, let me remind you, I have about as many sponsors to pay for this stuff as there are beer commercial supermodels in my jacuzzi..."0"!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I did my 1st track day at CVMA-Chuckwalla Valley Raceway about 3 weeks ago. First time ever on the track in ten years. That bike is a beast!! It really requires a lot of attention and respect. Scrubbed the tires pretty good so I was looking into changing them out after one more track day.

Wouldn't you know it, the pit bull front stand that I've had requires after market brakes lines. So i wen't with Speigler. Now I'm looking for a shorty lever. Anyone have a preference here in Cali?
Oh yeah, how the heck do I post pictures?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I apologize. Let me make this clearer. The Pit Bull stand (front) requires the correct pin size to fit in the triple clamp. Upon checking their web site, they advised that I either require aftermarket brake lines or I need to move the brake line manifold.

I really notice and appreciate the difference between upgraded steel braided lines over stock lines, so, I went ahead and purchased the Spiegler.

While I'm at it, I think I'm going to order the ASV clutch lever (shorty/folding). I've already installed the Cox racing radiator guard, Pro Bolt magnetic oil drain plug.

One thing that was a little hard for me was that the stock pipe is so quiet, it was hard for me to time and manage my engine braking/ shifting and acceleration. The bike already has 180+ HP's. At this point, I really don't need to spend upteen hundreds of dollars for a pipe. I'll learn to ride the tracks 1st, take some classes, upgrade suspension and then maybe a helmet mohawk and THEN....maybe an Akropovic.

Of course, there's always something else that you want to add on to the bike...right?

http://zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/dontknow.gif:dontknow:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts