Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I might do this in the future. Would be a great launch. Don't know how it works for roadracing though.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
How about a taller 6th gear? 5th and 6th are really close together. I wonder if Kawi did that on purpose to "limit" the 10R to 300km/h. I'm thinking with some mods, and a taller 6th gear, 195-200mph would be possible on a 10R.

I love running a 16T front countersprocket, but I hate losing some top end, and the high revs at typical highway speeds.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
I'd rather have a taller 6th than a shorter 1st, but if push came to shove, you could always put in the shorter 1st gear and then make the final drive a little taller so as to get a taller top gear (along with all the others in between). But still, for me, it ain't worth splitting the crankcases to do this unless I was in there anyway for something else ... and if the ZX10R lives up to the reliability of my '94 ZX9R, that's never going to happen!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Rspec99 said:
How about a taller 6th gear? 5th and 6th are really close together. I wonder if Kawi did that on purpose to "limit" the 10R to 300km/h. I'm thinking with some mods, and a taller 6th gear, 195-200mph would be possible on a 10R.

I love running a 16T front countersprocket, but I hate losing some top end, and the high revs at typical highway speeds.

do the math.. the bike is already set up to pull that mph if it had the horsepower...which it doesn't.. You need at least 185 horse to approach 200 more like 200 horse actually.

·
Registered
203 Posts
busaforhire said:
do the math.. the bike is already set up to pull that mph if it had the horsepower...which it doesn't.. You need at least 185 horse to approach 200 more like 200 horse actually.
Ding Ding !! Busa has hit the nail on the head. If you can get the 10 to make peak power at redline (it doesnt in stock form) and make 190 or so hp. Then 200mph is possible. One of our regulars here took his Nitrous 10 to Maxton and only got 191 mph. My 165 hp ZX10 ran 188 mph with TALLER gearing than stock. I had to gear up to get the 188 to happen at around 12100 rpms where peak power is.

We dont need more gear we need more HP !!

Don

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
rotts4u said:
We dont need more gear we need more HP !!

Don
How about more distance? Did you feel you had more to go, but no more runway? Sorta a moot point for the 200mph club, but I'm just curious.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
SP8 said:
How about more distance? Did you feel you had more to go, but no more runway? Sorta a moot point for the 200mph club, but I'm just curious.

he said he was at the peak power point. so I'd assume that it was done.

·
Registered
203 Posts
busaforhire said:
he said he was at the peak power point. so I'd assume that it was done.
After looking at the datalogger I am 100% for sure that I had nothing left in that bike on that day/conditions etc. The last few seconds were spend right at the 11950-12100 range bouncing back and forth as the engine tried to pull against the wind force.

I had a jockey on the bike that is a former pro drag racer for Kawasaki and felt like he got all there was. Busa is right again. That was IT !!

With better wind etc it may be different.

don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts