Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my bike in pieces fixing and modifying things, so while I'm putting in new pads, calipers and lines I was thinking about adding other pieces that I have easy access to: ceramic bearings, titanium rotor and caliper bolts, and lighter rotors.
1. Which of these would be lighter and work better?
A. link< http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/view...33fe33fff9af55?itemId=190799500819&cmd=VIDESC >link
B. link< http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=270824966422&cmd=VISPEC >link

The flame rotors look lighter, not sure how they will handle high heat though?
2. Where can I find affordable ceramic bearings, I've found some for $365, but I can't afford that right now.
3. Best price/place to buy titanium wheel and brake fittings?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I look at where items come from on ebay, and honestly I would be scared to put the most essential pieces of equipment in the hands of a manufacturer in a country that produces so many items that are just sub-standard in construction and quality control compared to say EBC, Brembo, or driven. I will pay extra for the knowledge that I'm getting a quality piece of equipment from a reputable manufacturer..... but that's just my 2cents....in the end they just might be good gear and work well......just not for me IMO.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Pro Bolt usa makes great titanium hardware. You can get anodized ti hardware from them as well. I have blue on my zx9r and it really sets it off.
For the brake rotors, how much are you really gaining over the stock rotor for the $? Are your current rotors trashed? I would look for some more main-stream if you want to replace your rotors.
Lightening a bike is by far the most expensive part so if you "can't afford it right now", then be patient and buy quality.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,063 Posts
Pro Bolts is a great source for Ti fasteners. Get ready to dole out some $ though. Im pretty sure Woodcraft Racing has ceramic bearings.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys.. I have read some really positive reviews on the Chinese rotors, but it would worry me a little the first few rides at least to use them, I haven't heard of any abnormal problems though.

I'm not sure what parts really provide the best bang for the buck, but substantially lighter floating rotors seem like a decent performance improvement for the money..

Probably should change the chain and sprockets while I'm redoing everything else. Logically this should be changed long before the bearings, bolts, or rotors..

I've sent Garth a couple of PMs asking for advice, but haven't heard back, is he still active on the forums much?

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
talk to world wide bearings first about some quality bearings that are almost as good as ceramic...Buy what you need and then askem to send them to a company called micro blue...Better than ceramic..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I had a better idea of what the um 'nice ppl' in DC are going to do with my job, and no debt, I'd love to get a set of carbon wheels and matching brakes... Only payed $4k for the bike though, I'd have more than that in just the brakes and wheels.. :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So for sprockets I'm looking at either afam or renthal, any advice or opinions? The did erv3 race chain looks like a winner with my minimal engine mods. Any ideas on how long it should last with good maintenance?

·
Registered
795 Posts
i ordered a lightweight ebay rear rotor for my zx9r, it was heavier than my stock rotor, but it was 30 bucks or something.. quality was shit even with good reviews...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts