Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got around to doin the Gen 3 race cam swap. Had plenty of conversations with Shannon Sanders about his setup as He had done alot of research on the best degrees for the cams. He had s similar setup w/ a full system, 0.050 head gasket, and was cool enought to send me a map for the set up too. (rep will definitely be sent Shannon, thanx!)

Had to score a full exhaust and as many of you know ebay has Leo Vince full systems cheap. I had a oval slip on before and was pleased, but often thought it was too long and wanted to chop it. keeping this in mind and that the last titanium was sold I decided to gamble and go w/ the Full Leo "BIG" Factory hoping it wasn't so damn long.

Well, needless to say I am damn happy on degreeing my cams at 110 in./108 ex. as recommended by Shannon, and the Leo is sweet! The bike pulls hard straight to 12k, throttle response kicks ass. The Leo is perfect length (14.5" canister, 19" total length) w/o requiring a chop, and it came w/ a carbon bracket. After breakin it in for 500 miles i'm lovin it and it sound grrrreat!

Here's pics of the dyno run Shonnon supplied me, and pics of the Leo system on the bike:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
damn, that is legit...i've been waiting to do this but just havent had the extra time....why buy a 4th gen when you can make a gen1 have almost as much power and be lighter...props boss

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For sure, I don't think Shannon would mind me hookin anyone up w/ the map if they do this setup, and they are at sea level. If you need it let me know.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no other headwork, really shoulda decked the head, but not yet. I did replace all 16 retainers w/ the upgraded part as many users have discovered issues w/ the stock ones even w/ stock set ups.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
damn, looks like if you pulled the rev limiter on it, it would keep pulling more power. Didnt look like it wanted to sign off much and that torque is reeeeally flat, must be an awesome ride!!!

You did the same mods as Shannons? Gen 3 Race Cams on both sides?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Saaaweeet!!!!

That exhaust looks awesome...

Bike must be a blast to ride with 80 ft lbs of torque...

Would love to know if that exhaust would fit the GEN III!

Gen I exhaust seem so much nicer and not nearly as long as the crap on the GEN III...

Best looking are the Arata, Akro Evo and Yosh RS55 Carbon on the GEN III in my humble opinion...

Great looking bike dude!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
why not do a solo seat cowl since you dont have the pass. pegs?

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
That is pretty awesome man.

like said, she keeps pulling all the way to red line.

maybe you should change your valve springs, and raise the limiter, could squeeze a couple more hp outta there.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
BTW, i love the exhaust and the bracket, but to this day i still dont understand how come manufacturers dont make the exhaust angle the same than the tail, it would look just that much better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Saaaweeet!!!!

That exhaust looks awesome...

Bike must be a blast to ride with 80 ft lbs of torque...

Would love to know if that exhaust would fit the GEN III!

Gen I exhaust seem so much nicer and not nearly as long as the crap on the GEN III...

Best looking are the Arata, Akro Evo and Yosh RS55 Carbon on the GEN III in my humble opinion...

Great looking bike dude!
Thanx man, there's some threads here on whether the exhaust will fit gen 3, not sure. But yeh the torque is pretty much on tap at all times!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
why not do a solo seat cowl since you dont have the pass. pegs?
Definitely in the works man, deciding between a custom fabrication or hot bodies, but I still take the misses two up on occasion, so might just go w/ the solo cowl or a targa. Saw a guy put the KTM RC8 tail on street fighter here and thought it was kinda cool too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, i love the exhaust and the bracket, but to this day i still dont understand how come manufacturers dont make the exhaust angle the same than the tail, it would look just that much better.
Rafa, I echo the thought, the lines would look much sweeter accented by the exhaust paralleling the tail. I read somewhere that the exhaust angle is designed to spit the charge into the center of the rear slipstream to reduce turbulence as well as have the draft/slipstream "pull" charge from the canister exit to assist flow. Only saw it in one place, but it jibes w some aviation aerodynamics to me.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Rafa, I echo the thought, the lines would look much sweeter accented by the exhaust paralleling the tail. I read somewhere that the exhaust angle is designed to spit the charge into the center of the rear slipstream to reduce turbulence as well as have the draft/slipstream "pull" charge from the canister exit to assist flow. Only saw it in one place, but it jibes w some aviation aerodynamics to me.
Lol yes i read that too.

Still, i see plenty of R6's winning races with they exhaust pointing way weird haha

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
For sure, I don't think Shannon would mind me hookin anyone up w/ the map if they do this setup, and they are at sea level. If you need it let me know.
would you mind sending the map my way? Id like to check it out. Might do this because it looks freaking awesome and I would love to have the extra power. Did you do a before mods pull on this dyno?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what's your email, ill send it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
damn, looks like if you pulled the rev limiter on it, it would keep pulling more power. Didnt look like it wanted to sign off much and that torque is reeeeally flat, must be an awesome ride!!!

You did the same mods as Shannons? Gen 3 Race Cams on both sides?

BTW the Gen3 exhaust race cam is the same as Gen1 stock exhaust. It is also a secondaries removed map, w TRE.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
BTW the Gen3 exhaust race cam is the same as Gen1 stock exhaust. It is also a secondaries removed map, w TRE.
PM sent. So that means that I would just need Gen 3 Race Intake Cam then? Where did you buy the cam from?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Nice work, and I agree about a slight increase in rev limit (maybe +500, ie 12,500). With Kiblewhite valve springs you may be able to rev even further. Did you check piston to valve clearence with the new gasket and cam timing numbers? My son had a stock Gen 1 with a Akra Evo and a well tuned map and it was hell for strong, yours must be a beast. Good luck

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice work, and I agree about a slight increase in rev limit (maybe +500, ie 12,500). With Kiblewhite valve springs you may be able to rev even further. Did you check piston to valve clearence with the new gasket and cam timing numbers? My son had a stock Gen 1 with a Akra Evo and a well tuned map and it was hell for strong, yours must be a beast. Good luck

Yeh we dialied the clearance to median specs, no issues. I agree about the springs and the rev limit, would be nice. Was on a budget for this build, otherwise it woulda been the cometic .45 gasket, velocity port, etc. Tryin to keep myself happy w/ this till alotta Gen 4's hit the used market and go full build on that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts