Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys opinions are on this helmet. I saw it and tried it at a local shop and thought it was a kickass design/graphics for my green zx-10r. Any opinions? I don't know about ICON yet but their stuff is sooo cheap.

ICON Mainframe Subhuman helmet

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
pretty nice graphics...i've never tried an icon helmet..i'll stick with shoei but the only thing i've heard negative about the mainframe helmet was the noise...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I tried it on back to back with helmets like Shoei etc. and found it closer to my old low-end KBC then a shoei or arai. Inside material did not feel as soft and comfy. The graphics are cool but don't let them fool you. My 0.02c.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
icon is cheap because it is cheap. that junk is for the stunters and wannabe racers like on the superbikes show.

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
I have heard stories of pieces falling of, or out of Icon helmets. Ive seen the whole top, vent section come off once. I think the build quality is sub par. Does look cool though.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
12RPilot said:
This is where someone will usually jump in with the "how much is your head worth?" argument. I'm still searching for the $3.8 million helmet.

^^^^^^^^^^
Cheapskate! :lol:

Seriously: Buy the very best you can afford. Forget the color/graphics/coolness factor. Protect your head!

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
It looks cool. I've never tried an Ion on before, hows the fit? I always figured subpar, thats usually where the cheap factor comes in.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Ara said:
I have heard stories of pieces falling of, or out of Icon helmets. Ive seen the whole top, vent section come off once. I think the build quality is sub par. Does look cool though.
:+1: My vents cam off mine from the wind.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
u get what you pay for. my .02, i have hjc's, eh, not that great IMO, you can feel its cheaper then others, i love my shoei rf1000, and i just bought a kbc vr2 from cycle gear online because it was over half off and just used it yesterday, not a bad helmet, tad heavier then the shoei, but not bad. http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=1&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=CGC_83-7571_G

·
Registered
696 Posts
Not too much xp with Icon but I have heard they are average at best. I have HJC right now and that is a decent budget helmet. But nowhere near the quality of a high end Shoei or Arai or Suomy. Speaking of Suomy, you like graphics? Check this out

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
You don't get what you pay for. I am looking at two almost identical helmet sitting in front of me. One is a KBC Racer 1 which I bought new on closeout for about a hunderd bucks. The other is a Arai Signet GTR that I bought new on closeout for about 300 bucks. Both are DOT and Snell. The KBC weighs about 2 1/2 ounces more. The fit and finish are about the same. I am gonna have to return the Arai to Arai to get the bottom trim stip reglued. Both have about the same wind noise. The Arai has a couple of features the KBC doesn't, the lock down visor, the little spoiler thingy under your chin and the visor vents. After I replace the check pads (another 35 bucks) I think the Arai will fit me as well as the Racer 1.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
off topic here: But I had a get off on a 50 ride start. 3/4 mile front straight, got taken out on the first corner. I was CooCoo for about 3-4hrs afterwards, but AGV was there for me on brain pan issues.

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
All I own is Icons, I have worn others but I find my Icon Alliance the most comfortable. Probably a little more wind noise than others but very comfortable. Now my Mainframe has gotten more comfortable with time, almost like its breaking in. I also have the flat black Domain, I got it on a whim and still can't stop wearing my Mainframe. Arai, Icon, and others are Snell and Dot approved so why do you think that just because its expensive its better.Someone posted a link to a test that showed the Z1R as one of the best helmets money can buy, its also one of the cheapest you can buy.

Take it for what its worth,

Tread

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I know that Arai's are expensive, and I have accumulated three of em. I like Arai because of the quality of the materials they use, and Arai is the only helmet out there where you can find the exact helmet cushion for your head shape. Your bike cost you a little over 10k so for a fraction of the cost, why go cheap?

ARAI..................................Mercedez Benz
SHOEI................................BMW/AUDI
SUOMY,SHARK,OGK...............Toyota/Honda/Volkswagen
KBC,AGV,HJC.......................FORD/CHEVROLET/Chrysler
ICON,CIRUS,Z1R,BELL............HYUNDAI/KIA

They can all take you from point A to B, but which car would you rather be in? Its all up to you...:helmet:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
ive heard too many negatives about icon helmets, i would never buy one. their jackets, now thats another story. if your lookin is $$ derived, than try scorpion like kawi said, they make some pretty good stuff.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts