Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

New Guy with some 1/4 times & Sprocket questions.

Gen 4: 2011-15 
13K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  Driver-311 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I new to the forum and motorcycles in general, I've own my 2011 10R for almost 2 months now, it the first bike I've ever owned and ridden. I've been hitting the track since about the 2nd week of owning it for every test and tune and bracket raced it a few times.

I recently realized last test and tune when I was in the staging lanes, that my sprockets where stock. After being told by the guy I bought the bike off of that it was 1 down 2 up.

Currently what's been done to the bike performance wise, Power commander with the secondary fuel injector box, a flashed ECU, Full Muzzy system, 4 inch extensions, strapped, and a quick shifter.

It is already plummed and set up for spray I just have to change my swing arm so I can mount the bottle and tune it.

Schnitz tuned the bike and it made 199 to the wheel on 94 pump. (what I was told.)

I just ran my best time last Thursday, the air was pretty good. I weigh 175 unsuited 198 suited (I wear steel toe Cowboy boots haha)

So far for set up I've got Full Bore Street Sport tires at 25 psi rear 42 psi front. They freakin' hook!

I'm launching at 9,000 rpm, I do not roll into the throttle I leave full throttle and feather the clutch. I'm usually all the way out by the time my back tire is at the tree. I shift at 14.5K the shift light and go through the traps at the top of 4th gear. I tried shifting into 5th but the bike looses 2 mph and a couple hundreds. I run 93 pump from Speedway, Sunoco, which every gas station I stop at.

So far here's my best from last week

1.56 60 ft.
4.11 330
6.14 at 120.87 in the 1/8
7.91 at 136.94 1000ft
9.43 at 146.96 1/4

As you can see there is room for improvement, but like I said I've only been riding for right around 2 months. I did run it for the first time in bracket 2 weeks ago and got down to 6 bikes with guys on bar bikes with a delay box, I was pretty proud of that.

Basically what I'm trying to figure out would be how to figure out how much I'd be able to run on the sprockets with out love tapping the rev limiter past the strip.

Just a little backround I've grown up drag racing cars, wrenching and everything else, so I just new to the bike side of things.

Thanks for you help in advance guys!

See less See more
#28 ·
My clutch seems to be either on or off. Guess I need to turn the go pro to my left hand and see what i'm actually doing. Also, looking at your 60, maybe I should turn my 2-step up a bit. I'm launching at 4500 while holding wide open throttle.

#30 ·
i'm having a hard enough time keeping the front down as it is. Next season, the bike should be fitted with a 10-14 swingarm and maybe i'll soften up the rear preload a bit, to get a bit more sag.

#33 ·
Hey bud this is Anthony on the gen4 u raced at woodburn. I'll tell u want man I found some really cool trick to get faster. Still rocking 16 46 sprockets and it's perfect. Mid 6th gear and 151mph traps at 210lbs. I also picked up another "get this" 4-5mph l shot u not. All I did was gut the stock intake tube and paired it to the mwr full race filter. I swear that filter added 8-10whp. I know it doesn't make sense but it worked. And I'm installing autotune this week hopefully to see where I'm at with afr so I can dial it perfect. Still rockimg u4.4 gas as well. Going out next Sunday to shoot for that elusive 8.9 run. Still hovering in the 9.3-9.4 area. Gonna get crazy on my launch this time. Was at 8-9k but now I'm gonna hit it at 10-11k. The 1.58-1.63s just aren't cutting it. Lol. Hit me up brotha.

#31 · (Edited)
actually extending that swingarm to close to 70' will overleverage the stk ten shock, good cheap option is busa shock, got one i will donate to u for shipping. 60's and et will fall with that setup. good seat to lock u in place will raise confidence level to leave higher/harder. arm, shock and seat probably ur best options to go quite a bit faster. all u lack to run fast and consistient is chassis/clutch work.

#32 ·
I'd be more than happy to take that shock off your hands. Send me a message with your paypal details and i'll send some $$ your way for shipping and your generosity.
Any recommendations on a seat? I've thought about buying a tore up one on ebay and having it redone with thing foam with a back step, or, going with a composite one. Either way, i think it'd be about $100.

#37 ·
I thought about running no air filter at the track but just get too nervous to do it. Do you usually pick up much by running no filter vs say a bmc race or equivalent?

The bike is a simple setup. Extensions maxed out with 16 46 525 sprockets. Graves/cat delete, mwr Sbk "$280", filter and worth every penny. It's the inverted design that works so well. Helps all cylinders get maximum even flow, gutted intake tube and lowered about an 2 inches. I also modded the stock seat down as well as lowered the foot pegs. Gonna install bazzaz/autotune in next day or two and tune for mr12 for last race of year this Sunday. Been running u4.4 on just a flash. But we race at 2700ft at firebird raceway. So bikes rich no doubt and why the intake mods helped so much probably leaning it out some. We will see soon how much the afr tune and mr12 help.
Sounds like a pretty sweet setup! If you don't mind sharing, what'd you run and trap before the filter/gutted intake and what'd you run after?

I have my stock intake gutted too and can see how that filter could make a difference. Back when I worked at a car shop, my boss picked up 25hp on his dsm just by changing out his small, shitty, old air filter for a new and much bigger filter.

#36 ·
The bike is a simple setup. Extensions maxed out with 16 46 525 sprockets. Graves/cat delete, mwr Sbk "$280", filter and worth every penny. It's the inverted design that works so well. Helps all cylinders get maximum even flow, gutted intake tube and lowered about an 2 inches. I also modded the stock seat down as well as lowered the foot pegs. Gonna install bazzaz/autotune in next day or two and tune for mr12 for last race of year this Sunday. Been running u4.4 on just a flash. But we race at 2700ft at firebird raceway. So bikes rich no doubt and why the intake mods helped so much probably leaning it out some. We will see soon how much the afr tune and mr12 help.

#39 ·
Hey Anthony-
just saw your posts. I'm running a BMC race filter, took the added parts out of the airbox (pre-filter screen thing). Not sure how much gutting of the intake I can do. Aside from the air inlet wrapping around the frame, it's pretty much a straight shot into the airbox. My box doesn't have actual "ram tubes" like the old ZX9's.

I now have a 15/46 setup, also my gen 3 will be getting a Thompson 10-14 swingarm and slammerz fork cartridges and a busa rear shock.

I'm sure some u4.4 will find it's way in my tank as well.

With the current tune i'm running, even with the u4.4, my afr stayed consistent at 13.5:1

#40 ·
Hell ya that's gonna pull hard. Should be top of 6th. Have u had it on the dyno yet? I can't wait to get the auto tune on there this week and dial the afr in on mr12 for Sunday's last race. I'd really like to hit 8.9 on last day of year or atleast better my 9.3@151. We shall see soon enough. Is ur season over there as well?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.