Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my CBR1000rr and it's down to a Gen4 or 5 ZX10 or RSV4. The bike will be used for mostly hooligan shit (canyons, trackdays and little street). Really wanting a 2014 abs in white, but that's for later.

How is the power delivery on the ZX10? How is the mid range power? Can you upgrade computer to auto blip, quick shift, etc?

I'm reading through this forum, but figured I should ask a few direct questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Can only auto blip gen 5. It has throttle by wire. Lien 5 comes with a quick shift. Gen four requires add ons. I'm biased but I like the gen 4 better. I prefer cable throttle and I like the look better. Power delivery is mostly up top. Though after being flashed and Dyno tuned my gen 4 is pretty grunty in the mid to upper mid. 7-9K above 9K it's a wild ride. I've never ridden any of the other liters though so I can't compare. I'm sure some more knowledgeable peeps will chime in.

·
Registered
481 Posts
love my gen 4 if i did not already own a gen4 i would go gen5. If i was rich i would own both... =P

if you go gen 4 you will probably find a great deal if you look around as a lot of previous gen owners are upgrading to a gen5. power is great as kllongbrake said.. if you gear -1 +2 thing has a lot more power down low vs stock gearing which is very tall.

woolich has pretty much every option for the gen 4 except auto blipper for the as addons/upgrades for it. I have not kept up with gen5 on woolich flashing but i beleive they have pretty much everything you would want as far as the ecu flashing options go.

may want to check woolichs page for more details on what can be done as far as flashing. Woolich Racing - ECU Flashing for Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, Ducati and Yamaha

also this guys has a white/black 14 gen4 with abs for sell in the forums.. low miles.
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f95/2014-zx-10r-w-abs-sale-309817.html

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
love my gen 4 if i did not already own a gen4 i would go gen5. If i was rich i would own both... =P

if you go gen 4 you will probably find a great deal if you look around as a lot of previous gen owners are upgrading to a gen5. power is great as kllongbrake said.. if you gear -1 +2 thing has a lot more power down low vs stock gearing which is very tall.

woolich has pretty much every option for the gen 4 except auto blipper for the as addons/upgrades for it. I have not kept up with gen5 on woolich flashing but i beleive they have pretty much everything you would want as far as the ecu flashing options go.

may want to check woolichs page for more details on what can be done as far as flashing. Woolich Racing - ECU Flashing for Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, Ducati and Yamaha

also this guys has a white/black 14 gen4 with abs for sell in the forums.. low miles.
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f95/2014-zx-10r-w-abs-sale-309817.html

^im trying to get in touch with him. Also finding a lot of 14-15 leftovers for 10k.

White or green, 14ish and abs will likely be my next bike. I want to jump on an Ape, but for reliability I'll stick with Jap superbikes. Hopefully the ZX10 will be as bulletproof as my old CBRs.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The gen4/5 have crap midrange compared to what your cbr has. Even with a full exhaust, head work, gearing, my gen 1 was a way wilder ride than my gen4. I wasn't impressed with the gen5 as a stock street bike, needs to be flashed at a minimum to get rid of the throttle restrictions. Still a good bike but don't think it's going to pull your arms off below 10k rpm

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gen4/5 have crap midrange compared to what your cbr has. Even with a full exhaust, head work, gearing, my gen 1 was a way wilder ride than my gen4. I wasn't impressed with the gen5 as a stock street bike, needs to be flashed at a minimum to get rid of the throttle restrictions. Still a good bike but don't think it's going to pull your arms off below 10k rpm

Making me think of buying another cbr now...just when I thought I had it all figured out too!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Before I bought my 4th gen (The exact color scheme your looking at) I was cross shopping it with a 2015 RSV4 as they were marked down to 11k OTD. I can say without a doubt the RSV4 was the most uncomfortable bike I've sat on. The design of the tank felt like I was sitting into a wall and my knees would come up and over the tank. The 10R was the most ergonomic friendly bike I found for my 6'5" frame.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm not going to get into a pissing match but I disagree with the statement that the flashed 10R with gearing is crap in the midrange. Maybe I'm not looking at midrange the same as some. I consider 4-7 low end 7-10 mid range and 10-13 top end. A flashed gen 4 with -1F +2 rear pulls pretty damn hard.

·
Registered
771 Posts
There's a 650ib youtube vid that validates what Dricked is saying about the Gen 1 vs Gen 4 mid range power. 650ib was at Brock's Performance and running one of his bikes on the dyno there. If I recall correctly (but my memory is very poor), Brock was running 650ib's stock R1M back to back with a stock 5th Gen 10r. To illustrate the relatively low OEM low to mid range power of the 10r, Brock overlaid the 5th Gen dyno plot with one from a relatively stock 1st Gen. The 1st gen blew away the 5th gen below a certain RPM (7000? 8000? my crappy memory fails me again). It was obvious that the Gen 1 killed the Gen 5 at what we consider typical street riding RPM. Brock even went on to clarify that the ambient conditions were similar when both 10Rs were run.

On the other hand, after that point the 1st Gen power trailed off and the 5th Gen increased significantly and the Gen 5 was the clear winner making waaaay more power than the Gen 1 overall.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I'm not going to get into a pissing match but I disagree with the statement that the flashed 10R with gearing is crap in the midrange. Maybe I'm not looking at midrange the same as some. I consider 4-7 low end 7-10 mid range and 10-13 top end. A flashed gen 4 with -1F +2 rear pulls pretty damn hard.
Having never ridden any other litre bikes it's kinda hard for you to argue a valid case.

Edit: sorry reread your comment, just haven't ridden the current 1000's?

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
g4 must buy new and buy the extended warranty. If I went g5 I would still buy extended. ABS not needed. Bike needs nothing except a decent can. mid range? what's that as I don't look at rpm but bike has 6 gears so I select what I need depending upon conditions.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Spoiler!
Making me think of buying another cbr now...just when I thought I had it all figured out too!

Try and find a demo to ride. It's a nice bike and is decevingly quick. It builds power smoothly and comes on hard up top. I'm sure with a flash and gearing it would be much better than the stock one I rode but still not a monster between 4000-8000rpm. The cbr is down a solid 20hp (not sure about the new one) so I'm sure once you get it up around 9000rpm it's going to make you forget about the cbr.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spoiler!

Try and find a demo to ride. It's a nice bike and is decevingly quick. It builds power smoothly and comes on hard up top. I'm sure with a flash and gearing it would be much better than the stock one I rode but still not a monster between 4000-8000rpm. The cbr is down a solid 20hp (not sure about the new one) so I'm sure once you get it up around 9000rpm it's going to make you forget about the cbr.
i went with a leftover 2016 and you're right, i have completely forgotten about my old CBR. this thing is smooth and has good power in stock trim (at <100 miles right now).

·
Registered
141 Posts
The power delivery of a 2016 is so butter smooth (IMO), there's no way not to love that thing, unless you're a track warrior.
I can't wait to ride mine after the flash/tune to feel the difference !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts