Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

New to the forum here. I just looked at a lightly used 2011 zx10r today and would like some insight.

This is my first post, so some background on me. Rode dirt bikes from 9yrs until my 20s used to be pretty fast in the woods, raced a fair bit of hare scrambles.
Just sold my 06 GSXR 750 the other day I owned that for about 3 years, put about 13k miles on it, mostly back roads and some curves(the few that are around here). I felt really comfortable on my gsxr and have had my eye on zx-10s for a bit now.

So I looked at a 2011 10r today with about 7500 miles on it. Guy who owned was about 40years old said he took it easy on it and it showed. Bike is real clean with only a tiny paint chip on the tank. He tossed the stock can and cat, so it appears the servo is gone causing a F1 light. But I didn't verify thats what the F1 light was on for. Other than that there aren't really any mods, just a fender delete and integrated blinkers.

The pipe is a two bros, which sort of stinks. Is that a decent bike for this bike? Or are they regarded as junk on all bikes? It seems like a lot of people loose the servo on these bikes? I know on the gsxr forums there was a bunch of drama about how much torque you loose once you throw out the servo.

He is asking 8k for it, which I feel is pretty high, but I am in the NYC area so everything is inflated. It needs a new front tire and I have to do something about the pipe should either get a pc v or a flash the ecu I suppose / doesn't loosing the cat and stock muffler make the bike run lean or is that not an issue on these guys?

Also if anyone has a service manual for the gen 4's I'd greatly appreciate it, curious what sort of maintenance should be done by 8k miles.

Sorry for the damn essay.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
That's way to high of a price. If you buy it, ECU flash will eliminate the FI light, assuming the servo being removed is causing it. As far as torque loss with the removal of the servo and valve? With a flash it won't matter. You will gain a ton of power and torque with a flash.

I see you can still buy the ZX10R on the East coast for a huge discount. It's always been that way. I actually bought a new 2011 back when they released. At that time, I could have gotten a 2011 for $10k otd on the East coast. Keep that in mind on resale values.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Kawas...ash=item213fd1b343:g:0jAAAOSwrhBZCU8K&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trackaddict,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah unfortunately there aren't a lot of nice bikes around here and I don't have the funds to go to the dealer. Most have been wrecked and fixed back up with aftermarket plastics and what not. This bike seems very original, minus the damn 2bros pipe. I'm trying to get it for 7ish.

Is there anything else I should look out for on it? I looked over the frame/wheels and plastics closely, also took a peek in the tank for fun. I plan on taking it for a test ride. I did notice when he started it up for me it didn't have the smoothest idle, it sounded like it was fluctuating a bit, but then once it warmed up it smoothed right out.
He mentioned the dealer told him that was completely normal.

I am going to do the self diagnosis on the cluster for the F1 light. I found a service manual and it looks pretty easy to do, kill the engine, with the key still on hold the a and b buttons for more than 2 seconds then the codes pull up on the screen?

btw nice avatar, nothing like some Pantera before a rip.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
:welcome:

"F1" :angryfire:
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f28/all-gens-so-your-fi-light-218666.html

A 2011 non-ABS model is about going to run around $7500, give or take some depending on condition.

The speed of the motor is controlled with an idle control valve and is not adjustable. During the high-idle warmup cycle, some hunting is to be expected and normal. It shouldn't be up and down radically, but a slight loping at the higher idle speed is fine.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
5k cash. don't worry about something stupid like the can. Don't worry about the freakin red light. But worry about the engine failing between 50k and 70k as that's EXACTLY what happened to me TWICE, respectively.

The good news: g4 is awesome; it floats; it loves a rider that knows what he's doing; it will die for the rider; it won't stop running until total failure; and, as it increase in age, G4 BECOMES STRONGER!

First super bike I've owned that needs the extended warranty. My '11 I did not buy extended, and it blew at 50k; I did for the '13 and kawa covered the engine failure, which blew at 70k. Same exact loop, except '13 loop had a few more slab miles.

5k is fair for the g4. If you pay more and ride a lot and know how to ride, my guess is that the engine will fail after 50k miles.

Been there. And you won't have extended? Or will you?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Guys,

Ended up picking it up last weekend. Came back all grins after the test ride. I'm now officially a zx-10 owner.
The front tire was so badly worn that I didn't get to play around much but boy shes a beast. Tires and oil change are first up, chain needs an adjustment.

@Scout, good to know man. I may look into an extended warranty, not sure how that works after the bike changes hands?

I don't like the idea of running the bike forever on this current exhaust setup sans a pcv or a ecu flash. No need to risk hurting her after spending that cash. I'm sure it'll be fine for a bit, but an Ivans ecu flash might be in the works judging by how close his shop is located to me.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Hey Guys,

Ended up picking it up last weekend. Came back all grins after the test ride. I'm now officially a zx-10 owner.
The front tire was so badly worn that I didn't get to play around much but boy shes a beast. Tires and oil change are first up, chain needs an adjustment.

@Scout, good to know man. I may look into an extended warranty, not sure how that works after the bike changes hands?

I don't like the idea of running the bike forever on this current exhaust setup sans a pcv or a ecu flash. No need to risk hurting her after spending that cash. I'm sure it'll be fine for a bit, but an Ivans ecu flash might be in the works judging by how close his shop is located to me.
Extended warranties are a waste of money

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Hey Guys,

Congrats on the purchase! It's official then! :helmet:

Don't worry about no extended warranty thingies. You can only get one if the bike is still under the original 12-month factory warranty. If that's expired, then you're SOL. But don't worry, we've got you covered here on this site for any help with the bike! :banana-metal:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Congratulations, now get a pipe you like a nice air filter too then go get it dynod in ........ it'll be all you ever wanted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll try to remember to take some pics tomorrow! Ended up buying a long akra setup and got that on. My set back today was realizing the front axle is held on with a 22mm hex bit! Hopefully that hex socket shows up tomorrow am... If not I'll prob be doing the jerry rig with the 13/16ths spark plug wrench yada yada.

I'll keep you guys posted.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Hey Guys,

Contact this dealer and ask about extended; if they clear it, their price will be about 400 dollars or so for 5 year.

http://dandhcycle.com/contact.html

I'm the only constant rider here; g4 must have extended warranty if you ride a lot and know how to ride. Three engine fails on two g4's in four years with combined mileage of 122,000 miles of wide range variable terrain, ranging from slab commute, slab empty-fast-with mountain long up/down sweeps; super tight with zillion crappy asphalt bumps and dips. That mileage is low a g4's keep blowing up so lot of down time. I normally run between 40-50,000 miles of twists per year.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Ooh. That's a beauty! Congrats!

Next stop..dealership! You need 2 new fender bolts so that you can ditch those fugly reflectors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts