Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a 2011 ZX-10R Race / Track bike that I will be doing trackdays with. My previous bike was an older Yamaha R1 so I'm looking forward to slipper clutches, quick shifters, more power, etc. I'm hoping to do my first day on the bike at Grattan on the 21st this month. I'm in the process of getting it re-sprung for my weight, and some other minor set-up things, but I think I can have everything done and put back together in time. I'm excited to try it!

Matt

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
445 Posts
Very cool to here another R1 convert has joined the fold!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the fold, Matt. You'll love the bike and all the new tech! Keep us posted on how you do. In the meantime, tell us more about your bike and post up some pics!
Thanks. I think I was actually looking at your bike online at one point that you just sold. It was beautiful with all of the right bits.

My new ride is an ex-race bike, then trackday bike. It has an Ohlins TTX with the attack linkage, Race Tech re-valved front, Brembo 19x18, Woodcraft rear-sets, cases, sliders, hand guards and clip-ons, Kit ECU and wiring with quick shifter. The engine was just rebuilt by Farrell Performance as was the transmission. It made 192 rwhp on MR12. I'm not sure what it made on pump gas but it was mapped for that too. It came with a couple sets of Pirelli's that are in good shape so I'm going to try them. I've always been a Dunlop guy but I hear the Pirelli's work well too.

Maybe in the future I'll go with Ohlins drop-ins, but for now I'll see how the Race Tech front end works. I have a lot of new things to acclimate to, but I'm looking forward to it!

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the party! You should be excited!
Thank you! I am excited. My wife has been very cool about helping me get setup parts like a new headlift pin, a 22mm axle tool, springs for my weight, etc.

I tried to post a picture but it doesn't post. It's under the size limit so not sure what I'm doing wrong.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,810 Posts
Thank you! I am excited. My wife has been very cool about helping me get setup parts like a new headlift pin, a 22mm axle tool, springs for my weight, etc.

I tried to post a picture but it doesn't post. It's under the size limit so not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Did you attempt to attach it directly in the post? Or are you trying to link to an image from a 3rd party site? This forum just went through an upgrade for security reasons. Some of the images are having difficulty at the moment and they're working through the issues. The image should be uploaded and attached directly. The 3rd party sites need to comply with the HTTPS scheme that this site is using. It's just a Secure version of the HTTP scheme. That may be causing your issue. Otherwise trying uploading the image directly here. :ayyy:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to attach it directly and it left the "Attached Thumbnails" in the above post. I tried both through the advanced choose a file method and the drag and drop. I'll give it some time and try again later. No worries!

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Cool. U will love it. I will be at Grattan that weekend too. Gen 3 pitted with a Education Panigale and Yamaha RE. Big 5th wheel trailer, stop by and say hi.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I did my first track day with the ZX-10R and I really like it. The bike has a lot more top end than my old R1 so I had to re-calibrate myself a bit in regards to speed. The other thing I noticed was how light the bike felt. It's really not any lighter than my R1 was, but the weight seems more centralized so it transitions much easier.

I'm still sorting out the suspension. The front I think is pretty close at this point. The rear spring I had on it was way too firm when combined with the Attack linkage. I changed the spring again and will be back at Grattan this Sunday for another shakedown. I've got 25 mm of sag now in the rear so it's in the ball park.

The bike came with a set of new SBS dual carbon pads. They are okay, but I like the Vesrah RJL's a lot better.

The biggest thing I liked was I could feel the potential in the bike, meaning I could tell the limits and capabilities of the bike were higher than my old R1. I just need to continue adapting to the bike and fine tuning it to my taste. Still learning...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts