Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
same one will be fine.

Congrats, you bought the cheapest, most effective mod you can do.

Everything else from this point forward will cost more and give you less.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Older Guy said:
Stock chain works fine...get a Speedo Healer from Todd at

http://www.calsportbike.com/

Easy to install and set up...it will be necessary...
Not really, I went down to 16T and I'm not getting a speedohealer. I might not know my actual speed, but I do know a ballpark figure and I also know that I am going damn fast...

Eventually, I might get one, but it would be more for keeping actual bike mileage down more than anything else. I already know that I am speeding everytime I ride, so whatever the cop tells me, I know that was my speed :thumbsup: ...

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
iroman said:
Not really, I went down to 16T and I'm not getting a speedohealer. I might not know my actual speed, but I do know a ballpark figure and I also know that I am going damn fast...

Eventually, I might get one, but it would be more for keeping actual bike mileage down more than anything else. I already know that I am speeding everytime I ride, so whatever the cop tells me, I know that was my speed :thumbsup: ...

It's not just not knowing your true speed. Your bike also piles on miles that it isn't getting because the odometer is also off after the swap... Why show more miles that you really have? Could cost you when/if you trade or sell later on... To me, having correct mileage was worth more than having a correct speedo.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When I had my Gixxer's, it was a common philosphy on gixxerforums that going down 1 tooth on the front sprocket opposed to going up 2 or 3 in the back causes more wear stress on the motor.....I have yet to hear that thought process on the 10 forum.....any thoughts????

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
TTLex said:
When I had my Gixxer's, it was a common philosphy on gixxerforums that going down 1 tooth on the front sprocket opposed to going up 2 or 3 in the back causes more wear stress on the motor.....I have yet to hear that thought process on the 10 forum.....any thoughts????
I've read that it puts more stress on the chain since it has to turn a tighter radius at the front sprocket. Could that be what you're talkin' about? :dontknow:

·
Registered
199 Posts
No , thats not what they were saying. It was something with the stress on the countershaft by going down up front.....going up in the rear does not cause that.....something like that, its been awhile since I read through the posts.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
TTLex said:
No , thats not what they were saying. It was something with the stress on the countershaft by going down up front.....going up in the rear does not cause that.....something like that, its been awhile since I read through the posts.
The ZX9 comes with a 16t and happens to be the same part # to replace the stock 10(17T) for the front to go lower. I don't really think there would be a problem going down 1 but 2 maybe in the long run, who knows :dontknow: . Good thing we have some choices in the back side.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
El Diablo said:
It's not just not knowing your true speed. Your bike also piles on miles that it isn't getting because the odometer is also off after the swap... Why show more miles that you really have? Could cost you when/if you trade or sell later on... To me, having correct mileage was worth more than having a correct speedo.
Thanks for your post on the (how to's). Gonna use it to put on my new sprocket. UOO to all! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
No prob on over stressing the engine internals or wear on the chain - 16T is still a pretty big sprocket. 15T might start to give you excess chain wear, and 14T would be insane, but neither would hurt the CS or any other internal bits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts