Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a gen1 and need to replace my right fork seal every 10k miles. Already the 6th time it happens, usually after winter. That seems a lot to me. The tube has no scratch or dent, surface is smooth. What else could it be?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only weight 150lbs. Not enough to strain the suspension.
Also, never wheelie, only street riding.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
It could be a bowed fork, or the seal is nt seating in its seat correctly due to manufacturing fault, truthfully if there is no handling issues i would keep going as you are.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hi,

I have a gen1 and need to replace my right fork seal every 10k miles. Already the 6th time it happens, usually after winter. That seems a lot to me. The tube has no scratch or dent, surface is smooth. What else could it be?

Are you using cheap ass seals like allballz and BikeMaster or something better like OEM and SKF?

Do you have a lot of brake dust on your fork stanchions or any pitting/corrosion even minutely?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am indeed using AllBalls Racing seals. Do you have the ref# for the SKF?

There is no pitting/corrosion on the legs..

What surprises me the most is that the leak always happens on the right leg.

Could it be the sun? I am living in AZ and have to park in the sun at work.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I am indeed using AllBalls Racing seals. Do you have the ref# for the SKF?

There is no pitting/corrosion on the legs..

What surprises me the most is that the leak always happens on the right leg.

Could it be the sun? I am living in AZ and have to park in the sun at work.

It is likely some sort of imperfection or striation on the stanchion etc. It certainly would not help when you factor in the low quality seals.

I would replace the Bushings/Guide if they are available separately and install a set of higher performance seals as my first course of action in this situation. I simply don't remember what brand of forks are on the Gen1 ZedX.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
KITG-43K are the SKF part#

According to your original post you have 60,000+ miles on your Gen 1? If so 10,000 miles is pretty average for a set of seals.

Also if your bike has sat over winter many times the seals will dry out sitting. Once the suspension starts moving again the things go back to normal, seals are lubricated and they start working again.

And like LDH suggested, use a quality seal like OEM or SKF.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the SKF reference Evallarta1
No, the bike does not sit during winter. I am using it everyday thanks to Tucson AZ weather :)

I am seeing people never changing their seal or every 40k miles, so I was surprised that it happens so often to me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could you be damaging them, putting them on?
That is a possibility, I do not have a seal fitting tool. However I am super cautious inserting back the leg, and it is always the same side of the fork that is leaking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts