Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So check it out folks .. I myself don't like the dual exhaust so Ive been frantically racing to design an exhaust .So here's what I am getting ready to press the fire button on.

I took off the cat , GUTTED IT , and want to baffle those 2 chambers and reinstall . Then I'm going to cut the rear Y pipe 3 inches above the mount and run stainless slash cut exiting behind the peg through a hole I'm cutting in the metal plate that bolts to the swingarm..

So what does everyone think ? ( Cosmetically I know it will look marvelous ) I am concerned with performance..does anyone have any concerns that this might restrict power or damage internals >>>?

Here's What I have So Far:

From This:

I want the CLEAN Look I put on my GSXR 750

I do Led Guage Light Changes too - Im Changing Shift light on the 10r to Green

While your here. . I mockd up these vinyl sleeves for the front and I will outline them with red striping..Whatcha think

·
Registered
599 Posts
Subscribed, keep us posted on how this works out. I want one!

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subscribed, keep us posted on how this works out. I want one!
I will .. Im doing the cat baffles myself .Going to use one Baffle from A&R . Cutting it in half and buying packing Im having the tube bent at a muffler shop . If my local guy cant mandrel bend my turns I will go out of town . If it works I will post up a how to for everyone .. K

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Will be unique and LOUD. If you have it exit out the swingarm plate, what about the plastic fairing? Going thru that too? Just trying to pictue it. Should make good top end power, though you'll loose low and some mid punch like most megaphone/slah cut near straight pipe does. Less back pressure equals more top end power.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Will be unique and LOUD. If you have it exit out the swingarm plate, what about the plastic fairing? Going thru that too? Just trying to pictue it. Should make good top end power, though you'll loose low and some mid punch like most megaphone/slah cut near straight pipe does. Less back pressure equals more top end power.
:+2: It will look good and be solid for top end, down low its going to bog like shit! I would expect a few ponys down low if not tuned! So go get a custom tune after you do this & it will be fine. Post pics:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
249 Posts
:popcorn:

subscribed, i'd like to see pics of it too. but like they said...shortened exhaust with less backpressure is supposed to push the power up top...i've been considering this too...but didn't wanna lose my down low and midrange...so i'm considering this with a sproket change and custom tune.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:popcorn:

subscribed, i'd like to see pics of it too. but like they said...shortened exhaust with less backpressure is supposed to push the power up top...i've been considering this too...but didn't wanna lose my down low and midrange...so i'm considering this with a sproket change and custom tune.
Ive already thought about that .. So I am addressing that with -1 to start on gearing i'm willing to go -1/+2 but the front end is too light at the wrong times ... I really don't want to lose bottom or mid range ... but if this doesn't work out it doesn't work out.I'm only out 50 bones and I will just buy a HR1 system .. I am also tuning the bike as well so maybe this will help ..

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pipe will run normal from header , but right at the pipe mount below the swingarm plate there will be a bend that runs it straight to the middle of the swingarm protection plate . . .Im making a new one out of ABS Plastic .

I have some tricks to increase back-pressure. Could always add a small resonator in the middle of the exit pipe somewhere or downsize the exit pipe

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pipe will run normal from header , but right at the pipe mount below the swingarm plate there will be a bend that runs it straight to the middle of the swingarm protection plate . . .Im making a new one out of ABS Plastic .

I have some tricks to increase back-pressure. Could always add a small resonator in the middle of the exit pipe somewhere or downsize the exit pipe
Parts should be here today ...I Hope , bikes down to the frame and engine cause I just bought the bike a month ago and there was alot of hidden evidence that it had been neglected so i am torquing every bolt and checking everything out .

Plus its dirty ...I dont understand how a bike with 2500 miles got so much dusty layers of dirt around everything . Rear hugger being so tiny? Dirt road ? bewidlers me

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry bud!!
:ttiwwop:
:helmet:
Sorry dude but this was a thread to get input on the idea not a how to .. But I will have pics once its complete .. Not an exhaust guru just wanted some input from our seasoned vet mechanics and racers. But I'll make it a how to once Im done . Its a work in progress

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here is my input, backpressure is always bad
Im pretty mucch with you .. we can adjust our bottom with either a tune or gearing. gearing is a slide move. meaning gain on bottom loss on top and vice versa .. I am making a dyno appointment but there is only 2 within my reach . One in Seattle wa ( 5 hrs away ) and one is Pendleton Oregon ( 4.5 hours away .. Pendleton is a small town so Im opting for seattle but hes booked 6 weeks out . Grrr

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So 1st gen headers and pipe will mount up ? I want the tail clean .. If this doesnt work out im going to use a gsxr shorty can ( M4 Probably ) .. I'm only out 75.00 if it doesnt work. Im doing all the work except the pipe bending and slash cut . they have a backpressure reader and we are trying to get close with what we are doing .. i dont mind the differencce being 20-30 percent since im going down one in the front:dontknow:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think that it is too short for a gen2.

gen2 need a longer exhaust, with a short exhaust (i tried with an hp corse lateral exhaust) there are problems with carburation and cut-off.

:hello:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Back Pressure is Bullshit!!! Your bike was factory tuned for cat and cans along with bends and etc.. Your not gonna screw anything up by shortening your exhaust!! Factory is designed to do three things! 1) Remove heat from the engine and rider 2) Reduce noise and 3) Reduce emissions!! That being said, once you subtract any of those properties or you basically run a non restrictive exhaust, you will be running a different fuel air mixture which is where the back pressure misconception comes in.. Its restriction, not back pressure!! Since you reduced or eliminated the bends/chambers/can, your mixture will now be too lean and will require tuning.. Which will also be beneficial to your engine performanceand with your non restrictive pipe, you will gain HP!! So if you don't already have a PCIII or better, get one and have a blast with your new creation.. It will be loud, but not from the cockpit and you will love it if you love racebikes!! If you don't, check out a Goldwing ..lol.. Also, look up my ehaust write ups and you can see mine.. Very similar!! Got 10k on that mod and it is holding as great as stock!! Oh and my gains were from the floor to the roof!!!

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back Pressure is Bullshit!!! Your bike was factory tuned for cat and cans along with bends and etc.. Your not gonna screw anything up by shortening your exhaust!! Factory is designed to do three things! 1) Remove heat from the engine and rider 2) Reduce noise and 3) Reduce emissions!! That being said, once you subtract any of those properties or you basically run a non restrictive exhaust, you will be running a different fuel air mixture which is where the back pressure misconception comes in.. Its restriction, not back pressure!! Since you reduced or eliminated the bends/chambers/can, your mixture will now be too lean and will require tuning.. Which will also be beneficial to your engine performanceand with your non restrictive pipe, you will gain HP!! So if you don't already have a PCIII or better, get one and have a blast with your new creation.. It will be loud, but not from the cockpit and you will love it if you love racebikes!! If you don't, check out a Goldwing ..lol.. Also, look up my ehaust write ups and you can see mine.. Very similar!! Got 10k on that mod and it is holding as great as stock!! Oh and my gains were from the floor to the roof!!!
Got a link ?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts