Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just threw them on like 2 hrs ago. Got them seated and all, but its making a rubbing sound, high piched whine almost. Its just the new pads cutting new grooves on the rotor right?

I normally sell the bike before it needs any work done to it, its my first set of brakes on a bike.

·
can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,522 Posts
could have an effect.

i got the same pads and mine were squeaking before i changed pads. a good caliper cleaning took care of it though.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Those pads are going to eat threw your stock rotors like a fat kid loves cake...Did you upgrade your rotors?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sure didnt, the stock on Gen 3 is a HH pad so I didnt put too much thought into it. If I still need new rotors I guess I came up with an excuse to get the brimbos, as I have been eyeing them up.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Yeah there was a thread about some member running these in gold or something and they ate the shit out of his stock rotors, heck I think it warped one if I remember right...I say when upgrading your brakes go with pads,rotors everything...

But even I on my last bike ran some stock rotors with gold gaflier pads and they ate my stock rotor up!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think I will clean the rotors when I put my new tires on tomorrow and re bed them in, its its starts cutting or anything I will put my oem's back on. They have about 50% life left in them and 11k on em so I can drag it out a little longer.

·
Registered
781 Posts
You should be fine, i have been through 3 sets of HH's. I cant say what the sound is but i believe it is them truly seating. mine will whine/whirl(its almost like a buzz) for a tday or two. The HH's are designed to be under heat... when they heat up they brake even better.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
theres a local shop in town that sells them EBC HH pads...says there the best thing....i was just gonna go oem...what do you guys think

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I ran EBC HH's in my stock calipers before I did the CBR swap. Made it a bit more grabby, stopped faster (stronger), and didn't eat my rotors. Not to say they wouldn't if I were a fast track guy, but rotors (like everything else) gets consumed faster the harder you use it (like on the track).

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I'm currently running those pads on stock rotors w/ no ill affects, and they do seem to be louder then the oem pads.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, I went and got them really hot today, so much it would burn my glove if I touched the rotor. The noise started to go away when I got them that hot. Just needed a good seating. Just need to get them really hot and keep them hot for a while, got a hand cramp and brake fade in the process though.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Im fairly certain our bikes (actually most newer sport bikes) all come factory with HH rated pads. According to what I have read, you are supposed to remove the embedded pad material from your rotors when you install new pads. (The dark areas on the rotors.) There is a bedding in procedure for your new pads. I take my bike on less traveled roads where I can run to 80 or so and apply the brakes hard to get them hot, ride a little to cool them and repeat several times. IIRC, you arent supposed to come to complete stops.

I have over 25K miles on my stock rotors and usually use EBC HH pads. Quality and price are both pretty good IMO. I havent been on the track yet but some of our mountain road rides are pretty aggressive and Im happy with them. BTW, with over 25K miles on the stock rotors and the EBC HH pads the rotors are in excellent shape. Kind of surprising considering the abuse they take...

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
^I've heard that coming to complete stops after hard braking can attribute to warped rotors.:dontknow:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^I've heard that coming to complete stops after hard braking can attribute to warped rotors.:dontknow:
yeah, it allows more brake material to be stuck to the rotor giving it a warped feeling. I never hold the front brake on, if I am stopped and need the brake its the back one, I guess thats why its on there because it dosent get used any other time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts