Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with a Dunlop rep. today. He says Dunlop will release the New Dunlop NTec in a 200/55 series 17 soon this summer.

I know most folks don't run a 200 tire. Many think it is to flat and would be a slow turner. But what do you folks think about a 200/55?? Chime in please!!!
I'm thinking maybe I would give them a try.

I currently am running the Dragon SuperCorsa Pros. I really like them and they do stick like glue. I was just told that the NTecs might last longer. The new Dunlops are also a Zero growth tire.

During track days up here we get some decent prices on tires. I got the Pirelli's for $325 mounted and ballanced, off the bike, a 190/55 set. Sounded like the NTecs might not be all that much more.

I do ride with them on the street too. I do not ride in the rain at all, and I really try and make sure the get warmed up before playing hard. On the track it only takes about 2 laps and the Pirelli's are good to go.

Hmm... :dontknow:

·
Registered
69 Posts
The wider they go the lower profile they have to be to maintain the same overall height. With the Dunlops being the biggest, tallest tires out already I would imagine a 65 or 70 aspect ratio would be WAY to big. The only way to know if it's a good tire for you would be to get it and test it at the track.

I'm going to be running Dunlop N-tecs this year too, I found the Pirelli's to be very sensitive to suspension setup. I could get good life out of a H108 rear but a medium wouldn't last long at all. I'm getting my rear Ohlins revalved but I can't afford a tire as sensitive to wear as the Pirelli's.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I hate to say it, but I'm tired of people getting the tire dimensioning all wrong. As you know the first number is the width of the tread, and in the case of a 200, it is 200 mm wide. The second number in the tire height in percentage from the bead to the top of the tire. So 55% of 200 is 110 mm. Now on a 6 inch wide rim that took a 190/50 (which is 190 mm by 95 mm)or a 190/55 (which is 190 by 104.5 mm), the 200mm wide tire would have a narrower radius or arc making the tire taller at the center and increasing the contact patch on the side. The ride heigth would change dramatically.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I hate to say it, but I'm tired of people getting the tire dimensioning all wrong. As you know the first number is the width of the tread, and in the case of a 200, it is 200 mm wide. The second number in the tire height in percentage from the bead to the top of the tire. So 55% of 200 is 110 mm. Now on a 6 inch wide rim that took a 190/50 (which is 190 mm by 95 mm)or a 190/55 (which is 190 by 104.5 mm), the 200mm wide tire would have a narrower radius or arc making the tire taller at the center and increasing the contact patch on the side. The ride heigth would change dramatically.

Are you trying to say that I got my tire dimensioning wrong? Who said I was comparing their 200/55 to a 190/50, I was thinking of their 195/70 series as being a tall wide tire so the 200 would have to be a 55 to get the height down alittle. Your right on the sizing but don't take the numbers literally all 190's are not 190mm and their heights aren't exactly as the tire reads on the side, they're a close approximation and thats it. I

·
Registered
288 Posts
Are you trying to say that I got my tire dimensioning wrong? Who said I was comparing their 200/55 to a 190/50, I was thinking of their 195/70 series as being a tall wide tire so the 200 would have to be a 55 to get the height down alittle. Your right on the sizing but don't take the numbers literally all 190's are not 190mm and their heights aren't exactly as the tire reads on the side, they're a close approximation and thats it. I
I apologize for assuming that gang green was talking about a 190/55 going to a 200/55. And I have never seen a 195/70. Where do you get something like that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts