Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to start dragging my 06 zx-10 next year and just had some questions. when you strap your front ends does the strip let you by with just a tie down strap across the tree's? Also what kind of chain should I use? I've already bought a 12'' over swingarm with air tank, air shifter, 2'' lowered rear, two bros. pipe, powercommander, and -1 front sprocket. What else would be good? p.s. I still want to be able to street ride:badteeth:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yes the strip will let you run with a strap across the trees! If you're racing in a class they migh prohibit that depending on the class and the rules but as far as regular test and tune days, street e.t class and bracket racing, it should be fine.

As for what chain you should use......EK & RK are the only chains I use in atleast a 525 or higher. Since you're going to be doing alot of street riding make sure you get a "o ring" chain, it lasts alot longer than a "non o ring" chain. You're bike is 12" over so you will need 140 links. That should be enough and a little left over that you can add later if you want to change to a larger sprocket. Better too long than too short!

Whats your weight? How long have you been riding? Its other things you can do to "go faster" besides adding internals and boltons. Set your shock up right, take weight off your bike, light weight wheels, drag seat, and alot of other little things you can do to go fast besides piston kits, cams and all that.

Hope I helped :thumbsup:

·
Registered
793 Posts
12 INCHES!! You dont need to go that long. Unless your running a big power adder like a turbo. We have sprayed a 40-50 shot on bikes 6-8 inches over and had no problems with wheelies. I am 7 inches over and have gotten high 1.40's 60 foots. You will also need at least a 150 link chain to go 6-7 inches over. I also suggest a tire like a Shinko or even better a race takeoff. They are super sticky. Regular street tires only make for cool rolling burnouts on long bikes. :lol:

·
Registered
448 Posts
First off :welcome: to the drag racing world and congrats on coming over. (I assume your fairly new to this field)
Trust me, its a ton of fun, especially when you get good at it. :ayyy:

12 INCHES!! You dont need to go that long. Unless your running a big power adder like a turbo. We have sprayed a 40-50 shot on bikes 6-8 inches over and had no problems with wheelies. I am 7 inches over and have gotten high 1.40's 60 foots. You will also need at least a 150 link chain to go 6-7 inches over. I also suggest a tire like a Shinko or even better a race takeoff. They are super sticky. Regular street tires only make for cool rolling burnouts on long bikes. :lol:
:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

12 inches over is actually going to cause you some traction issues depending on your track. For now (for now) I would set the axle in your new swing arm as far forward as possible. 6-7 inches over stock is really all your going to need until you get well up over 200 horse power.
One safety issue that you really need to address while everything is fresh is a chain guard. Chains do very strange and dangerous things "if" they fail. Don't want to scare you, but its just the nature of the beast.

I would definitely try to get on to a shaved seat, as soon as possible. You already have an air shifter, that makes things allot easier when using one. It can be awkward switching to one if your already used to a stock seat height.

Of couse most important, stay safe and have fun.
:eek:ccasion1 :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
311 Posts
yes O ring chains last longer ! but non O ring is more free less drag , and go with 530 chains its pretty strong :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
First off :welcome: to the drag racing world and congrats on coming over. (I assume your fairly new to this field)
Trust me, its a ton of fun, especially when you get good at it. :ayyy:

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

12 inches over is actually going to cause you some traction issues depending on your track. For now (for now) I would set the axle in your new swing arm as far forward as possible. 6-7 inches over stock is really all your going to need until you get well up over 200 horse power.
One safety issue that you really need to address while everything is fresh is a chain guard. Chains do very strange and dangerous things "if" they fail. Don't want to scare you, but its just the nature of the beast.

I would definitely try to get on to a shaved seat, as soon as possible. You already have an air shifter, that makes things allot easier when using one. It can be awkward switching to one if your already used to a stock seat height.

Of couse most important, stay safe and have fun.
:eek:ccasion1 :eek:ccasion1
all that:+2: :+2: with that bike that long get a REAL REAL GOOD TIRE im 8 over my bike is about 62 1\2 I love it at the track on the street its not that good. But i was running a old tire but i dont think with a good tire it wont be that much better on the street. just take your time its hard to go fast

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the advice, hopefully I can have some good results next year. I've been riding for about 4 years but new to drag

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I race my stock length 10 with a 50 shot of nitrous making 220 rwhp and the front end stays down most of the time and don't have too many traction issues with the shinko u-soft. Shave the seat, get a good x-ring chain and a shinko u-soft and you should be able to boogy.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I race my stock length 10 with a 50 shot of nitrous making 220 rwhp and the front end stays down most of the time and don't have too many traction issues with the shinko u-soft. Shave the seat, get a good x-ring chain and a shinko u-soft and you should be able to boogy.
Yeah, but you can't spray it til you get into 4th :lol::heyyou:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I spray it in 2nd and hope the nose stays down. I plan on adding nose ballast this year. If I looked like a flag flapping from the bars like yourself, then I might not be able to spray until 4th.:badteeth:

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I spray it in 2nd and hope the nose stays down. I plan on adding nose ballast this year. If I looked like a flag flapping from the bars like yourself, then I might not be able to spray until 4th.:badteeth:
Keep working on that ballast and wheelie bar :crackup::heyyou:

·
Registered
92 Posts
which track r u planning on racing an 1/8 or 1/4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts