Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed a new clutch... rode it around the block a few times, seems fine.

Now I go to the drag strip, do my burnout and now the clutch lever has a TON of play. In fact even with the lever pulled all the way in the bike still pulls forward slightly. I do the run anyway and at the end pulling the clutch in does NOTHING. I adjust it, do another run.... and had to do a TON of adjustment again (but not quite as much). WTF is going on here? Anybody else ever experience this?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
So I just installed a new clutch... rode it around the block a few times, seems fine.

Now I go to the drag strip, do my burnout and now the clutch lever has a TON of play. In fact even with the lever pulled all the way in the bike still pulls forward slightly. I do the run anyway and at the end pulling the clutch in does NOTHING. I adjust it, do another run.... and had to do a TON of adjustment again (but not quite as much). WTF is going on here? Anybody else ever experience this?
I have seen that happen on a couple of bikes ive done not sure why. after a couple of adjustments it stop and everything worked well. I have gone as far as checking stack hieght to make sure nothing was wrong. but have seen some people have the issue and something was wrong inside the clutch sack hieght was way low

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
i would pull the clutch cover and check the stack height to make sure you didnt miss anything. you dont wanna burn up your new clutch by having the wrong adjustment.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I put one in mine and had to readjust after about 100 miles. Sometimes you just have to get some fine tunage on.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My 05 i had to make a bunch of adj. when it was new,now i hardly ever have to even after hard runs.

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll pull it and check the stack height. What are you guys running (stack height)?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Is this the first clutch you have ever put in, not saying you did it wrong but there are a few thing people do wrong when they have never changed a clutch.

1. You are suppose to START with a fiber and END with a fiber.

2. If your bike is an 06 or up did you remember to put the 2 little "washers" between the 1st and 2nd steel? Alot of people accidentally put the washers between the clutch basket and 1st steel and it can get wedged between the basket and hub.

3. The last fiber must be rotated 1 notch from the rest of the fibers.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Is this the first clutch you have ever put in, not saying you did it wrong but there are a few thing people do wrong when they have never changed a clutch.

2. If your bike is an 06 or up did you remember to put the 2 little "washers" between the 1st and 2nd steel? Alot of people accidentally put the washers between the clutch basket and 1st steel and it can get wedged between the basket and hub.

Sorry to threadjack, but what is the reason for this? I have always done it but never have been sure why other than thats the way it comes out so thats the way it goes in.

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Check on 1. and 3., don't understand why I did #3 though but I did it. If anybody could explain why I would love to know.
I have a 05, so #2 doesn't apply. Oh, and yes it is the first clutch I've replaced.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Read through this thread and see if you come across anything you forgot

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6525

Also did you make sure the outer hub "locked" into place, it will only go in a certain way and it will rest on the last fiber...

Don't think that is the problem....I check stack height each time and Nola is having the same problem I have had and may still have at the drag strip but don't know yet for my current pack(been through 4 packs already) it's OEM stock used only 180miles but adjustment is always needed just on the street at the lever. :dontknow:....anyway Nola just saying bud I am still playing with this as well and it's not fun showing up to the drag strip knowing you need adjustments and not working right like before/during launch.:badteeth: will update what I find out this year with this current pack or other issues.

bloo

·
Registered
188 Posts
The first and last fiber plates are different in thickness to the rest of them, make sure they are correct.
Also very important to soak the plates for at least 2 hours before assembly.

If it was working well before replacement, it shouldn't require adjustment at least that's what I found.

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Read through this thread and see if you come across anything you forgot

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6525

Also did you make sure the outer hub "locked" into place, it will only go in a certain way and it will rest on the last fiber...
Yea, I did make sure of that...

The first and last fiber plates are different in thickness to the rest of them, make sure they are correct.
Also very important to soak the plates for at least 2 hours before assembly.

If it was working well before replacement, it shouldn't require adjustment at least that's what I found.
Is that true for OEM only? I stuck CycleConcepts Drag-Pac in there (along with a billet basket) and didn't check to see if two were thicker than the rest.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yea, I did make sure of that...

Is that true for OEM only? I stuck CycleConcepts Drag-Pac in there (along with a billet basket) and didn't check to see if two were thicker than the rest.
You can always give us a call for tech support..:thumbsup:..our packs measure 2.11'sh for stack height..

You did reinstall your judder steel?

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can always give us a call for tech support..:thumbsup:..our packs measure 2.11'sh for stack height..

You did reinstall your judder steel?
I planned on it if I got it open and couldn't see anything wrong. However, I'm waiting on another gasket before I crack it again. So you may still get that phone call. Thanks!

Also, yes I reinstalled the judder steel. That is if I am assuming correctly and that is the thick steel that has the leaf spring type setup between two steels.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Did you lightly sand the judder spring on both sides and the outer hub? Also, you can re-use the gasket a couple of times before it needs replacing (if you're careful).

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you lightly sand the judder spring on both sides and the outer hub? Also, you can re-use the gasket a couple of times before it needs replacing (if you're careful).
Thats a big negative. What grit do you recommend?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
2000. My judder spring was blued pretty bad. I tried to get the bluing off, so I sanded more than I should have. Sanded the inner and outer hub also. Put it back together with some brand new clutch springs and it works great. Btw, I have the Cycle Concepts drag pack. When I first put it in (with bloos help) I didn't check or replace the clutch springs. I think this was my biggest problem, but I sanded the the other parts not wanting to tear it apart again.

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My judder spring wasn't very blued if my memory serves correctly. Either way, I'll give it a lil' sand job when I pull it out again. I also stuck in some new EBC springs because they were supposed to be slightly stronger. I'm a weakling and it's stock motor so didn't want to go too heavy duty.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Give the outer hub a little sanding too while you're there.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts