Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to pick up a used car, something under 50k miles, and under 17k I tend to get one or two ideas in my head and over lock all the other possibilities.

Right now I have been thinking about maybe an rx-8, scion tc, or jetta tdi. My ex has a scion and it is a decent looking car gets average MPG and does not drive to bad.

while I feel like the Rx-8 is a better looking car considerably better handling and slightly faster. It lacks in fuel economy.

And then the Jetta, not sure that one requires any explanation. they look nice are very comfortable to drive.... and I have always been interested in diesels for what ever reason hehe

at the moment the Rx-8 is probably what I am most interested in but I'm open to suggestions, and interested in hearing any feed back on any of the already mentioned cars.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
those all suck, where's your head at? The tc is cheap and uncomfortable, the rotary motor isn't reliable, and jettes are expensive to maintain and are no more reliable than the rx8 IMO.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
yea, i dont really have anything useful to add because i dont like any of those cars

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Bmw 3 series. I have a 2002 330ci and I can get about 452 miles to the tank (38 dollars) if I'm on the highway. Drives great, handles great. For 17k you can pick up a 2000+ M3. I know a lot of people will say that it's expensive to upkeep a bimmer, but just like anything else, if you take care of it, it will take care of you. The motors on the E46's are almost fool proof. If oil changed on time, and run good gas through then it will be fine.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
subaru legacy .... awesome car and it gets about 430+ mpg, with alittle maintenance, and an oil change... it will last forever

plus i paid $14,500..... for a 2008 legacy with 20k miles... but it came with a subaru 6 year 100,000 mile warranty for everything...free with purchase

·
Registered
363 Posts
Get a C5 corvette! You might have to go slightly higher than the 50K miles for your price range but they're worth it. Mileage is pretty decent too, much better than most people think. You can get 23+ without too much trouble, and more on the freeway, assuming you keep it under 75 or so.

And the chicks dig it.

·
GEN II Driver
2,880 Posts
Need more info on your criteria requirements. All the cars you listed are total shite. Give us some more info to include your commute range and seating requirements. You can get a lot of car for around $17k.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Need more info on your criteria requirements. All the cars you listed are total shite. Give us some more info to include your commute range and seating requirements. You can get a lot of car for around $17k.
I have no real "requirements" I am going to be going away to school the bike is currently my only source of transportation which just is not practical any more. I am looking for something comfortable / fun to drive could really care less about space but would rather not have something with only 2 seat. ( would like to at least be able to fit a bag in the back seat and what not) which is mainly why has been pushing me away from the s2000.

I have been looking for all of a day or two now the jetta is just something I was talking to a friend about this morning something I always thought would be fun to play around with.

the TC I could pick up for under 15 with almost no miles and they are not to bad to drive around town and quality seems to be ok.

I live maybe 5 miles from work but looking to be driving more in the 20-30 mile range with traffic in the near future.

I was in a rush to post this up this morning so I left off a lot of cars I have looked at just trying to throw out a few to give an idea.

I have thought about looking at the new honda civic's also but have decieded I am probably gonna stay away from the bmw's I will either end up with an older car then I want or more miles then I would like in my price range. although I do realize they will run forever.

And finally so whats everyoens complaint about the rx-8? I have heard a lot of people say they dont like them but after hours of research I cant find one good complaint that after reading for awhile seems like its not really a problem hehe. seems like it would be a fun car to drive daily not a bad price I like the looks and there are plenty of people with 150k+ miles on the old rx-7's

oh and almost forgot If I get a car I am going to be parting out my almost perfect looking first gen magma red...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
subaru legacy .... awesome car and it gets about 430+ mpg, with alittle maintenance, and an oil change... it will last forever

plus i paid $14,500..... for a 2008 legacy with 20k miles... but it came with a subaru 6 year 100,000 mile warranty for everything...free with purchase
I need to go some where and check out a few subarus I always liked them just have not ever got the chance to drive one.

and the main reason I made this post was just because I was having trouble coming up with good ideas in the price range I was talking about that still had low miles. I tend to get one item in my head and forget about everything else :mrgreen:

·
Registered
411 Posts
VW golf turbo gti (the rally edition)... great on fuel when u wanna drive like a girl, and really gets up and moves, when you want it to. I've found like the 3rd Gen ZX's "green zone"...

u got 2 vehicles, keep it under 6 (on the ZX) and you got a decent vehicle, that pretty damn good on fuel... but when you want a beast, just jump up the rev's and she transformers. (n.b they also got the F1 styled paddle-shifts, which are great fun :p)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts