Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
07 10R, 06-07 14 calipers. Picked up SBS ZX14 pads, installation and rotor/caliper cleaning went smoothly. When rolling the wheel the pads make a distinct clicking sound and they slightly bind, but only through part of their rotation. The other half of the rotation they make no noise and do not bind.

Will bedding kill this noise and binding? I had some issues with what I thought was warped rotors during a track day. My suspension guy told me that a good cleaning and new pads may fix the issue as pad material may have built unevenly.

What now? Bed the pads and hope for the best. If the rotors are toast I'll be wasting the pads, correct?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I did the same mod, no clicking rolling forward but clicking rolling backwards while applying the brake. Since install and a couple miles everything is great " GOT BRAKES" The pads do need to be bedded. If the rotors are warped then they definitely will wear out your new pads early along with a nasty pulsing. Mic the rotors and check the tolerance. Make sure pads are installed correctly and clips and pins are secure. Check, double check and triple check, brakes may be the only thing that saves your life.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will check the thickness wed. I really need a dial indicator to check runout I guess. Disks and bike only have 5k,miles.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
hey super k! Make sure when ever you remove the front wheel and then go to install it you align the front axel to the front forks before tightening the pinch bolts. and torque everything. the procedure is in the manual for front wheel installation. I have seen this cause rotor warpage if not done correctly. even on sbk rotors.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I have the same set up super k, using the sbs race pads.. I dont know which line of pads you have but the race pads are more noisey in general. You will hear slight rubbing when moving... Its the nature of the material that you are hearing. Id like to know if you find some other solution to your noise issue.:thumbsup:

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey super k! Make sure when ever you remove the front wheel and then go to install it you align the front axel to the front forks before tightening the pinch bolts. and torque everything. the procedure is in the manual for front wheel installation. I have seen this cause rotor warpage if not done correctly. even on sbk rotors.
Thanks for the info. I tightened the axle first then the pinch bolts.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the same set up super k, using the sbs race pads.. I dont know which line of pads you have but the race pads are more noisey in general. You will hear slight rubbing when moving... Its the nature of the material that you are hearing. Id like to know if you find some other solution to your noise issue.:thumbsup:
The pads are HH. There is a slight rubbing noise but The clicking is alltogether different. I'm willing to bet my rotors are warped. I'd like to try bedding the pads to see if it goes away, but I'm afraid ill just ruin a set of new pads in the process and then have to buy pads and Rotors. My wife is gonna be pissed......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts